182RG gear up landing video

Did you hear them talking about going back for lost gloves and other stuff? Conversation was completely not related to the task at hand. This is why one should always keep a sterile cockpit on take off and landings. They were so busy chatting away that they forgot to lower the gear and were paying no mind to the gear warning horn.

I wonder what that strange beeping sound is??

aw @$#%

I remember the gear warning.

Do we know for a fact that it was an accident?
Just wondering...

Ok, just wanted to be sure.

Before I called em a couple friggin idiots. WTF are you doing chatting on final?

Ok, just wanted to be sure.

Before I called em a couple friggin idiots. WTF are you doing chatting on final?

Form the video description
This video was taken by Paul Wingo, who was sitting in the back. I have uploaded it here WITH HIS WRITTEN PERMISSION.

Cessna 182 Skylane RG

Charles W. Baker Airport
USA January , 2007

From Paul Wingo:

"There was a snow storm approaching in about an hour and we were doing a check ride. Because of possible ice, we had been flying with the gear down the entire time. We started doing touch and goes after a while. Habit when you take off is to raise the gear. This is what happened. So, when we come around, they were conversing and what not and simply forgot the gear was up. The prop got bent up pretty bad along with the belly of the plane.

Still don't see how they could ignore the gear warning alarm.

Still don't see how they could ignore the gear warning alarm.
Too busy talking and not paying attention to the task at hand. I have flown a lot of RGs and if you practice maneuvers in them there are many times that the gear warning horn is howling. YOu just get used to ignoring it. That is why basic mental checklist is:

1. Start slowing down as I approach the field
2. Lower the gear
3. Check that gear is down
4. Finish pre-landing checklist
5. Check that the gear is down.
6. enter the pattern
7. check that the gear is down
8. get the flap set up slow down tlak on radio
9. check that the gear is down
10. turn final
11. check that the gear is down
12. short final check that the gear is down

Well you get the point. :D

Or I like the GUMPS alternatives I've seen:
Gear Down?
Undercarriage (gear) down?
Make sure the gear is down?
Pretty sure the gear is down!
S**T - the gear wasn't down!

That is why basic mental checklist is:

1. Start slowing down as I approach the field
2. Lower the gear
3. Check that gear is down
12. short final check that the gear is down

I have found it dificult to do 1 without doing 2.

Does a gear up landing mean you failed the checkride:dunno:

Man, what a bummer to see.

I never liked the practice of leaving the gear down during training(touch and go's). I always just pretended like I was going to bring it up with the same call-outs, check-list & etc.

The gear warning horn *is* annoying. IRC, In the 172RG the horn is active with 20* of flaps and/or below 14" of MP. Of course, one could get used to the sound if you've been listening to it all day long doing stalls, emergency descents & etc.

It's just sad to see. I bet the guy was a decent pilot and chap.

I have found it dificult to do 1 without doing 2.

Does a gear up landing mean you failed the checkride:dunno:

I was taught a similarly. I do 3 GUMPF checks, even in fixed gear planes just to stay in practice in case I ever fly complex again. Right now, I'd settle for just flying again.

Of course, one could get used to the sound if you've been listening to it all day long doing stalls, emergency descents & etc.
Personally, I don't like allowing the horn to blare during any circumstances. I've always found it incomprehensible that pilots could land with that irritating sound going off, and I attribute some of that to pilots who allow the horn to become a routine sound.

You can practice stall recovery, engine outs, etc, with the gear down. In a real engine out emergency, you wouldn't be gliding gear down, of course, but I'm willing to accept that deviation from reality when practicing, if it means that I still jump when that horn goes off unintentionally.
-harry

How (apparently) loud is that warning when you're wearing a headset?
May have been a factor, aside from the complacency thing.
Maybe retracts need a rubber hand on a scissors mechanism that whips out of the panel and smacks you in the face when you get below Vfe with the gear up. :D

How (apparently) loud is that warning when you're wearing a headset?
Well, I don't know if this varies from one model year to another, but in the 182RG I've flown, if my ham-fisted handling of the throttle causes the horn to blip for a second, my passenger levitates about an inch out of her seat.
-harry

Well, I don't know if this varies from one model year to another, but in the 182RG I've flown, if my ham-fisted handling of the throttle causes the horn to blip for a second, my passenger levitates about an inch out of her seat.
-harry
I have slowed down and gotten the gear warning horn to go off and had similar results. I had to explain we where still going too fast for me to lower the gear and make the horn go off.

Did anyone else besides me think that his approach was a little too high and even with the slip he still was drifting pretty far down the runway? not unsafe distance down the runway but far enough that he wasted at least the first 1/3 trying to slow down in ground effect.

i can verify the gear horn on the 182RG is quite annoying and loud.

and yes, a good CFI will constantly avoid configurations that have the gear warning horn going off. that is NOT a sound you want to get used to.

-harry

And I'm running the throttle up quickly in the Arrow to get rid of that annoying sound, too. How do you miss it?

that is NOT a sound you want to get used to.

I flew with a guy a couple times in the Seminole who would, any time the gear horn sounded, start singing along with it. And not singing as if to the radio...more like screaming "beep beep beep" in time with the horn (even if alone you can't really do much else while singing to the horn). It was annoying, but I'll bet he won't be having a gear up any time soon.
Did anyone else besides me think that his approach was a little too high and even with the slip he still was drifting pretty far down the runway? not unsafe distance down the runway but far enough that he wasted at least the first 1/3 trying to slow down in ground effect.
I was thinking the same thing...seems to me like the added drag of some landing gear would have put him on speed. Checklists are great, but nothing beats looking outside and seeing that your approach isn't coming together like normal and then figuring out why...before you bend your airplane.

Out of curiosity, what are the odds that the DE is going to suffer any ramifications from this (sterile cockpit or the gear up)?

Checklists are great, but nothing beats looking outside and seeing that your approach isn't coming together like normal and then figuring out why...before you bend your airplane.

Y'know, it seems even worse since it was a Cessna (read: high-wing) RG where you can actually look out the window and see the gear. :dunno:

In the Arrow (which most of my complex time is in), all you have is the lights. No mirrors, even.

Y'know, it seems even worse since it was a Cessna (read: high-wing) RG where you can actually look out the window and see the gear. :dunno:

In the Arrow (which most of my complex time is in), all you have is the lights. No mirrors, even.

Where would you mount a mirror? :dunno::D

could be like the beech debonair i trained in for CFI, a mirror was attached to wingtip so that you could see the gear.

Out of curiosity, what are the odds that the DE is going to suffer any ramifications from this (sterile cockpit or the gear up)?

Maybe it was like a private pilot checkride, where the DPE needs to try to distract the pilot candidate. Though this time he can pump his arm and say "YES, IT WORKS! Finally. WOO HOO!"

If it weren't for Youtune, the DPE could have played the 'ol I won't tell if you won't and then got the pilot's vehicle and drug the heap into the hangar before anyone else saw.

Well,

IIRC, landings aren't actually part of the instrument check ride, so . . .

~ Christopher

Personally, I don't like allowing the horn to blare during any circumstances. I've always found it incomprehensible that pilots could land with that irritating sound going off, and I attribute some of that to pilots who allow the horn to become a routine sound.

No argument from me. I know that while finishing up checkride prep for my commercial rating, I was tired of hearing it at the end of the day. I don't like the stall horn or gear horn to sound while in the air. I've never heard the gear horn in flight, except where it was done purposefully. Warning horns are just that, a warning. I take warnings seriously.

Back