182 Extended Baggage Compartment

LesGawlik

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Good Guy
Has anyone put an extended baggage compartment in a 182? I am looking at a Selkirk model for my 182E.

My 182p came from the factory with extended baggage compartment. Glad it did. Couldn’t imagine flying without it as additional aft balance helps the performance of my plane also there are bulky items that aren’t necessarily much heavier that take advantage of the space as needed.

Sorry I couldn’t speak specifically to this STC however the concept really improves flexibility of the aircraft.

Acquaintances who have installed the Selkirk kit in sky wagons liked it a lot.

Last edited:
I have to think you're right. I am really surprised at how small the baggage compartment is on the 182. It smaller than the one on my Sundowner, and I have more flexibility in removing a rear seat or two without the use of tools.

I have to think you're right. I am really surprised at how small the baggage compartment is on the 182. It smaller than the one on my Sundowner, and I have more flexibility in removing a rear seat or two without the use of tools.

Yes I don't like having to mess with bolts to remove and install the rear seat in a 172, PIA.

Sorry I don't have any experience with STC your asking about.

I have had the factory one in and out of my 172 three times so far for avionics and annual inspections and lube. It is nice to have but more work to do annuals.
The first time I took mine out there was mixed bunch of screws and bolts and some missing.
I got all new correct length and style screws and bolts to put it back in.

I keep a tow bar, sleeping bag, cabin cover, and a couple smaller items in mine. Have stuck fishing rods in there.

Last edited:
Has anyone put an extended baggage compartment in a 182? I am looking at a Selkirk model for my 182E.
I own a 182 with 2 partners and one of them installed the kit this past year. I didn’t help with installation but it seems like it was pretty easy. We did most of yhe work under the supervision of an A&P and then was signed off. Makes a big difference is what you can fit back there. I’m super happy with final product/result and would recommend to anyone.

Back