182 check out today

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
Got signed off for the 182 today and high performance endorsement. Wow is that a nice plane. Been flying the 172. Both are great planes!
Of course any plane that you can fly is a great plane!

:yes:

Would you explain cowl flaps to me... thats something I never understood.

I'm scheduled to do the same thing Saturday, but it doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate.

Will, cowl flaps are an attempt to stabilize the temperature. You open the flaps when the engine is producing a lot of power or has poor airflow (takeoff, climb, and on the ground), and close them when it isn't.

Would you explain cowl flaps to me... thats something I never understood.

This is easy.. Engineers didn't want to build a fixed cowl hole that would properly cool the engine (bug cost cruise speed)... So they made them adjustable..

Open the during climb and takeoff, close them as much as needed to maintain ideal CHT during cruise, and close them during decent/landing...

You are just adjusting airflow over the engine, and therefor.. Drag..

I will be working on my 182RG Check out next week. Hoping to get my Complex and High Performance Endorsements as well.

Last edited:
I will be working on my 182RG Check out next week. Hoping to get my Comples and High Performance Endorsements as well.
Welcome to PoA! And yup, the checkout without those endorsements would be pretty useless, wouldn't it? :) Congrats and good luck!

I will be working on my 182RG Check out next week. Hoping to get my Comples and High Performance Endorsements as well.

Have fun! The 182RG is a fantastic airplane. :yes:

Back