180hp 4 place EAB?

The glass is the easy part ,it's the forming the foam which could give you headaches. I would also look at the performance specs ,before I would jump into a project.

What about the Jodel D140?

5 seats and enormous useful load and still 110 knot cruise. Plans are still available.

Another vote here for the cozy mk IV. Although I am biased because I am building one.

I had never worked with composites before this project. Once you get a few of the simpler parts done it's really not a big deal. The cozy plans are good in that they start off with easier parts and walk you through them, then gradually lessening the hand holding as you work through them on the assumption you are becoming more skilled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you ever start a canard airplane? If you haven't and are still looking, check out Revolution Aircraft. Their Feb 6 carries 4 and I think the minimum HP is 200.

Last edited:
Perhaps I missed something here, but why the fixation on 180hp? Why not pick up an RV10 and just pull back the power to the 180hp output point for the same fuel burn?

or a souped up 4 banger putting out 200-210 HP.

Why has nobody mentioned the Sling 4 TSi yet??? 141HP turbo, lifts 1000lbs, 145-155kt cruise on 8gph, 800NM range or greater, parachute, modern design and flies beautifully. I still cant stop thinking how this fixed gear plane can beat an older Mooney M20C or M20E model in every category, and those are planes known for efficiency.

Why has nobody mentioned the Sling 4 TSi yet??? 141HP turbo, lifts 1000lbs, 145-155kt cruise on 8gph, 800NM range or greater, parachute, modern design and flies beautifully. I still cant stop thinking how this fixed gear plane can beat an older Mooney M20C or M20E model in every category, and those are planes known for efficiency.
The Sling 4 is a nice plane, a bit pricey for what it is IMO but nice. But I think those performance numbers are a bit optimistic. There's a video on youtube of a 915 powered Sling 4 that shows it cruising at 7000ft and making 137kts on just under 7.5gph. Then they speed up to 142kts true and fuel burn goes to 9.8gph. It might be capable of 155kts if you get it high enough but I'd doubt it'll do that speed on 8gph.

Glad I didn't go Cozy. I'm 2649 hours into a fast-build Velocity and still have not finished the airframe. Sand and trim to fit, rinse, lather, and repeat.

Heck, I'm probably 1000-1500 hours into an RV-10 project that was beyond quickbuild status (for the most part) when I acquired it.

Getting things right (where they fit properly, rather than just stay attached) takes time.

The Zodiac CH640 fits that niche and will carry 3 adults comfortably at 130kts with a 1000# useful load, is easy to build, costs a whole lot less that an RV10, and has no surprising or unusual flight characteristics,

The CH640 back seat is pretty tight. It's more like a 2 + 2, although there are options available to lower the rear seats, move the rear seats aft by 2.5" to give a little more legroom, and raise the rear seat cabin roof to provide more rear seat headroom.

http://www.zenair640.info/options.html

Comparison chart CH640, CH801, 1975 C-172, 1999 C-172R, 1965 Cherokee 140, 1981 Cherokee Warrior.
http://www.zenair640.info/comparison-chart.html

I think the Sling 4 TSi is one of the best values in aviation. The video in South Africa a while ago did not have many of the aerodynamic features of their finished model now. This is Paul Dye’s photo.

Attachments

• A87F59F7-340A-4704-BD09-B95D56A2409F.jpeg
    A87F59F7-340A-4704-BD09-B95D56A2409F.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 26
I think the Sling 4 TSi is one of the best values in aviation. The video in South Africa a while ago did not have many of the aerodynamic features of their finished model now. This is Paul Dye’s photo.
I am skeptical that the Rotax 915 iS, a four cylinder geared, turbocharged engine with an 85.2 cubic inch displacement turning over 5,000 rpm will reliably make 1,200 hours between overhauls. The power-to-weight ratio is phenomenal.

While I hope it lives up to its billing, I wouldn't be an early adopter.

Well the 914 turbo has 2100h TBO and I know a flight school near (ok 600nm away) from me that has 5 Sling4’s and none has not made TBO yet..... Agree that the 915iS is significantly more stressed... I’ll also wait to see local experience - guy who I bough my Sling from has bought a TSi so will watch with interest....

The 912 iS series engine has become quite refined now, six years later. This is largely the exact same multi-port fuel injection system used on the 915 iS. The compression ratio is actually much less on the 915 iS at 8.2:1 vs 10.8:1 on the standard 912 iS. Therefore, stress is less on the 915 iS according to Marc Becker from Rotax.

With all of the teething issues Rotax experienced with the 912 iS, if there was any engine I would be an early adopter of, it’s the 915 iS. They’ve taken their time with this engine and they definitely got it right. Field testing is going flawlessly so far so we’ll see. The TBO will increase to 2,000 hours in the near future I’m certain. This the most technologically advanced piston engine on the market right now.

The CH640 back seat is pretty tight. It's more like a 2 + 2, although there are options available to lower the rear seats, move the rear seats aft by 2.5" to give a little more legroom, and raise the rear seat cabin roof to provide more rear seat headroom.

http://www.zenair640.info/options.html

Comparison chart CH640, CH801, 1975 C-172, 1999 C-172R, 1965 Cherokee 140, 1981 Cherokee Warrior.
http://www.zenair640.info/comparison-chart.html

I have the option with the rear seats moved back and the room is similar to a Warrior in the back; pretty comfortable for 1, cramped with 2 adults. It has its limitations in rear seat room and performance (speed), but at about half the cost of a sling 4 or RV10, it's a lot of plane for the money.

I think the Sling 4 TSi is one of the best values in aviation.
The Sling has a lot going for it. And I think it would be the best value if the RV10 didn't exist. But having roughly the same price tag as the RV10 which is bigger and faster definitely puts a crimp in the calculation IMO.

Back