18 year old pilot survives this crash with only minor injuries

lsaway

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
lsaway
Teen has only minor injuries after crashing this 172: I was driving by the airport today and saw them strapping this up to the trailer. I remember the story when it hit the news in January, but never saw any photos. It is amazing that the 18 year old pilot only had minor injuries. I am sure there is much to be learned from this incident.
upload_2023-3-13_19-41-47.jpeg
The following was posted on KPRC News: According to deputies, the teen called around 10 p.m. saying that a Cessna 172 single-engine plane he was flying crashed. Authorities said he couldn’t give his exact location but told dispatchers he was hurting, cold, and wet. Dispatchers were able to ping his phone and discovered he was about 3,800 feet south of the Cleveland Airport runway and close to Tarkington Bayou, which had been flooding, deputies said. The teen was reportedly taking the plane to Cleveland for service work and was to meet his father there. Authorities said the aircraft took off from an airport near Telge and SH 99 in west Harris County at 9:08 p.m., but dropped from the tracking around 9:38 p.m. The teen never flew over 1,700 feet and his altitude was quite sporadic throughout the flight, at times getting down to 1,200 feet with a speed of 100 MPH, investigators said. Authorities said the runway lights at the airport were not operational and had not been for a long time. It is unknown if the young pilot realized that there was no lighting on the runways as he approached the airport, authorities said.

From Aviation Safety Network:
The aircraft sustained substantial damage when it clipped a tree and impacted marshy terrain while on approach to Cleveland Municipal Airport (6R3), Cleveland, Texas.
The sole pilot onboard sustained minor injuries.

I’m working another accident where the 172 basically folded up into a ball. Both pilots miraculously survived.

When I was pulling the fuselage apart the only thing we can think of is that the area directly around the seats didn’t crush on impact. It made a small survivable space but it was still insane.

I’m working another accident where the 172 basically folded up into a ball. Both pilots miraculously survived.

When I was pulling the fuselage apart the only thing we can think of is that the area directly around the seats didn’t crush on impact. It made a small survivable space but it was still insane.
Yeah, a friend's wife totaled a 172 on a student solo; the plane had about zero reusable airframe bits, but she walked away.

Luck was on the pilots side fortunately

Back