18 days in paradise and a Masters Degree in Bahama Out Island Exploration w/ HD video

Re: 18 days in paradise and a Masters Degree in Bahama Out Island Exploration w/ HD v

I think I have a new mission! Thanks!

Re: 18 days in paradise and a Masters Degree in Bahama Out Island Exploration w/ HD v

July 26th: A morning of relaxation, followed by an afternoon of thrills, with 20 other people in close proximity!

https://vimeo.com/105067478

Master link to photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56841718@N06/sets/72157647291710361/

Being wiped out from the last 4 hours of yesterday, I look forward to a morning of doing nothing, or at least something low key. I get up at around 8:30 and walk from the Junkaboo towards the cruise ship dock just exploring the shops along the way.

I know what you are thinking??????..this is soooooo different than how I?ve spend the previous 15 days of this trip, but a little something different never hurt anyone.

Since my sunglasses are falling apart on their last leg, I stop at one the souvenir shops and buy two pair since they are only $20 for two. I also pick up a straw hat for just $12, which I definitely need since losing my previous one on my way to Scrub Cay!

I continue to make my way down to the dock and stop again to look at the Gopro cameras and accessories. I thought about picking up another spare battery or two since I ruined a few of them when wading a bet too deep into the ocean on my ill-fated Mayaguana trek, but once I see that they are almost twice as expensive as what I pay back at home, I quickly scrap that idea. I still had enough, just would have had to change them more frequently.

Lastly, I walk to 'Senor Frogs where I might hang out to eat and drink that night. Still undecided as there are quite a bit of places to choose from on a Sat night.

Now time for something just a bit more thrilling this afternoon....A dive with SHARKS at Stuart's Cove.

Even though this was not my first time diving with sharks at Stuarts Cove, it is something that never gets old and is always a good time. The bus came by the Junkaboo at 11:45 that morning and picked me up right outside. I cant say I had a lot of room since I brought all my dive equip, except my BC (and tanks and weights of course), not to mention 2 Gopro?s as well as U/W housing for a Nikon P7100.

I manage to find room in the back of the bus, but have to keep everything on my lap as it?s still very crowded. Thank God I?m not a big guy!!

On the ride over, I fill out the usual waiver and sign my live away, and enable Stuart Cove to notify my next of kin just in case I suddenly become a tasty dinner for these wild and untamed beasts:D

After checking in, I show my Nitrox Card and ask for the richest mixture possible (EAN 40), since I won?t be diving any deeper than 80'. Unfort, they are able to only give me EAN 32, which is at least better than air.

Just to totally be on the safe side, I stand by and witness them testing the mixture to make sure it really is 32%. They nail it very closely at 31.8% so I set my dive computer (Cressi) to EAN 31 for a bit of a fudge factor and board the boat with all my gear. The staff is very helpful getting me situated and we are soon out to sea.

This is the first time out on the water on my entire vacation, where I am not PIC of the vessel. All of my other boat excursions have been done totally under my own power of course.

Our first dive is along a wall that starts at around 40' and drops off into oblivion. Just as predicted, we go as deep as 80' at first and then make our way up to around 60 where I get a great shot of 2 Lionfish lying in a crevasse along the drop-off. Luckily, since I have my Gopro on a pole, I put the camera less than a foot from them while the rest of me is still 4 or more feet from danger!!

15295572949_ca60d4a68c.jpg

The water temperature is a whopping 86 to 88 according to my Cressi, and even for someone who runs cold like myself, it is bordering on too warm, despite wearing just a 3mm suit.

We stay down for about 45 minutes and then do our safety stop at 15 feet for 3 min. I like to do mind for a bit longer----maybe 5-6 min, not so much to increase my margins from DCS----which is exceedingly rare when sticking with the tables at recreational depths, but more so for just feeling better and having more energy later that day.

Now back on the boat, we have about a 45 min surface interval, and travel another mile or two to a spot that has a nice sandy bottom, where we will all carry an extra 5 lbs of weight, and sit around a circle about 50' across, 40' under.

It is here that we will get a fantastic performance with these sharks swimming around us as the dive masters feed them in the center. In the briefing, we are instructed to all keep our hands to ourselves and that we are likely to get bumped and nudged by the sharks as they swim past us!!

I?m ready!! Bring it on!!

Once we jump in, we dive straight down to the circle where the dive masters instruct us where to sit, based on if we are traveling solo or with friends/family/spouse,etc.

The next 45 minutes are pure fun as these beasts swim within inches of my face on at least 3 separate occasions.

WHAT A BLAST!!

15295839110_176d9cc013.jpg

About mid-way through the dive, the main photographer comes by with his fish-eye lens and snaps pics of all of us. While the positioning of the camera is good in terms of the subject and background, they do NOT do any sort of White Balance when shooting?which makes everything washed out greenish and blue, since red is the first color lost underwater!!

C?mon!!! What are they thinking!!!WorthySmilie

Even a rookie U/W photographer knows to manually WB the camera, using either the sand, or a white slate before shooting!

Not only did they not W/B, but they shot in JPEG instead of RAW, which means fixing the WB in post processing will not be very effective.:cool:

Oh well????..

After the dive is over, I look and see that I still have almost 1500 PSI remaining in my tank. Too bad we had to end it there. We arrive back at the dock at 4:00 and are back on the bus just before 5:00.

Once back at the Junkaboo, I make sure to upload the pics and video right away and then relax for a while.

Around 7:30 I walk across the street to the beach and get some photos, and then walk towards Senor Frogs for dinner and drinks. Even though I am traveling solo, it never really seems like it as conversation with strangers who are also on vacation comes very easy!!

As I am leaving the hotel, this local guy comes up to me, along with two of his buddies and offers me some dope and is like ?U wanna smoke some ***** lata?.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh NO! I don?t think so!!:eek:

I politely decline and walk away, and they leave me alone. I might have been born at night, but I wasn?t born LAST NIGHT :):)

When I get to Senor Frogs, I feel like Ive gone back in time 10 or 12 yrs, as its definitely geared towards the spring break age crowd. That being said, I am far from being the oldest patron at the bar. Even people my parents age are not that unusual of a site.

What catches me most off guard is there are a ton of KIDS hanging out there, and its certainly PG themed....to say the least.

While I?m certainly the last person to moralize personal behavior that isn?t hurting anyone else, it certainly isn?t the best idea for parents to bring their kids here, some of which were less than 10 years old!!

But I know in the Bahamas they are much more lax about that than in the US.

I don?t go too crazy on the booze, because a day trip to Cat Island and the Greenwood Beach Resort is on tap for tomorrow.

I've been to Mayaguana, stayed at the Baycaner, fished for bonefish.
It is pretty much the wilderness of the Bahamas, but I liked it.
We flew in on Bahamas Air out of Nassau.
Going back out the local slogan came into play " If you have time to spare fly Bahamas Air." We waited for hours for a battery for the plane(wouldn't start after they just flew in) to be flown in from Nassau, then landed at another island for fuel, we had to de-plane for fueling then they had to hurry because there were no airport lights ,made it off just before regs shut us down.
Quite an adventure, I'd do it all again.

I've been to Mayaguana, stayed at the Baycaner, fished for bonefish.
It is pretty much the wilderness of the Bahamas, but I liked it.
We flew in on Bahamas Air out of Nassau.
Going back out the local slogan came into play " If you have time to spare fly Bahamas Air." We waited for hours for a battery for the plane(wouldn't start after they just flew in) to be flown in from Nassau, then landed at another island for fuel, we had to de-plane for fueling then they had to hurry because there were no airport lights ,made it off just before regs shut us down.
Quite an adventure, I'd do it all again.

You are telling my you flew commercially to Mayaguana??:eek: You, my friend, have a lot of splainin to do, unless this was before you had your PPL:mad2:

Haha!

I loved Mayaguana, and Shorty was such a cool and friendly guy as well as a fantastic resource about the island when I relentlessly picked his brain!

Next time I'm there, I'm determined to make it to Long Bay under my own power as shown on the map. Damn creek timing at high tide made me turn around:mad:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 10.52.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 10.52.41 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

July 27th: Last full day in paradise---a day trip to Cat Island and the Greenwood Beach Resort.

https://vimeo.com/105069641

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56841718@N06/sets/72157647298178732/

All good things must come to an end at some point, right? Well this was certainly no exception, but to be honest, about half of me is looking forward to being home after having already spent 17 days in the Bahamas!

Since I had wanted to visit Cat Island on Friday, but was running up against nightfall, I thought now would be the perfect time to visit again---particularly the Greenwood Beach Resort where I had stayed in Dec of 2009 on my 2nd trip to the Bahamas, just a year after I passed my checkride.

Since I wanted to film the northern half of the Exuma Chain with the sun directly ahead or slightly behind me, I waited until 12:30 that afternoon to depart Nassau. After taking off on 14, I requested an east departure which took me right over Bahama mar, and then Paradise Island.

15160202635_28fc42d56a.jpg

The reason why I wanted to fly this direction was that I wanted to overfly the same route as many of the yachts take between Nassau and the Exumas, which would take me over Porgy Rock Waypoint (Explorer Nautical Charts), and then from there, I would fly a 145 deg course towards Highborne Cay.

Along the way, I would be flying low over the coral ridden Yellow Bank, an area that many (inexperienced) cruisers are apprehensive about traveling over for fear of hitting the coral heads.

Luckily, the experienced cruisers quickly calm their fears and explain to them that the heads are very easy to see visually as long as they wait until 11 AM to make the crossing, when the sun is no longer in their eyes.

Sure enough, that was exactly my experience as I flew low over this route.

25 nm later, I reach Highborne Cay and fly a circle around it counterclockwise and then continue to fly on down the Exuma Chain all the way to Staniel Cay where I land on rwy 16, taxi to the ramp, and do a battery change on my externally mounted Gopro.

14973466339_aa4dacaa78.jpg

I takeoff just 10 min later, and turn to a 060 hdg on course to New Bight on Cat Island (MYCB). Now 30 nm out, I can see that there is a TCU very close to the field, so I am hoping that it doesn?t become grow and become worse.

14973620147_6c461b24a0.jpg

Luckily, it doesn?t and getting under the base is easy. It?s a bit showery, but a very smooth ride with about 3 to 4 miles visibility and a 2000 ft ceiling, give or take????.

I make an uneventful landing straight into runway 9 and back taxi to the parking area. I show customs my C7A and ask for a ride to pick up a rental car from a local guy. Unfortunately he is not sure if some of the rental agencies are open since it?s a Sunday, but he is kind enough to let me rent his car for $70.

DEAL!!

He writes out a note giving me permission to use the car that he puts in the glove box, just in case I am pulled over and then instructs me to leave the keys under the center console when I return it to the airport that evening.

I HAVE to be back to the airport no later than 7:00 since I have to allow time to depart VFR and then pick up my IFR in the air from Miami Center by sunset (7:57).

I make my way to Greenwood Beach Resort and fill the car up with 2 gal in Old Bight?just enough to get to the GBR and back to the airport.

Once I make my round the rotary near Pt Howe (I think?) the road goes along the South Shore, with some very nice scenes over the water as well as of some very lush coconut groves. BEAUTIFUL!! Its at this point that the same isolated shower that I flew through, is finally moving away and its becoming bright and sunny.

Ahhhhhh yessssss!!

The road is mostly smooth, but I have to dodge some deeper potholes, but that doesn?t last for long as the road becomes rough all over about 5 miles later.

I finally make it to the entrance road which is totally rough and requires me to weave all over like crazy to avoid the rocks and ruts. This is only for a mile or less though and I am soon at the GBR.

15157206331_8257f055aa.jpg

This place is SPECTACTULAR!! It is right on the water with 8 miles of pinkish sand beach in both directions with that perfect shade of blue water and coral heads here and there. I spend some time walking the grounds and getting a ton of pics and video.

15157208641_c2925ea80b.jpg

15159789442_d4ef441122.jpg

While the resort was (and still is) closed for renovation until December, the owners are more than welcome to have me come, but they just wanted to make sure I was completely self-sufficient.

No problem mahnnnnnnn!!

I ask if it?s OK that I borrow some fins in the dive shed to snorkel the reef and they are more than glad to let me borrow the equip free of charge. As I first enter the water, it is as warm as can be and feels like my bathtub!

Even though the longer hours of daylight and (generally) calmer ocean are the primary reasons I prefer to visit the Bahamas in the summer, I must say that the warmmm water is another!! Quite frankly, the temperature is perfect in July for boating and being on the water, even though its definitely much more H&H than I would have liked on land.

(continued on next post)

Even though the reefs are very large (easily 8 ft high and 20 ft across) they seem rather dead with few colors and not a lot of fish. When I ask the owners about this, they tell me that they were badly damaged by Hurricane Irene, but are noticeably on the mend.

Even though the damage certainly isn?t good, it is comforting to know that it was the result of a natural disaster, something that has been going on for hundreds of millions of years before humans populated the planet.

After using the very conveniently located showers to rinse off, I take a walk about a quarter to half mile south and get more pics and video. While the beach here is not remote and hard to get to (by my standards anyway:D) it is sooooo beautiful with the pink sand and blue water.

Now about 5:30, I need to start to think about heading back to the airport to fly back to Nassau since most of my belongings are back at the Junkaboo. I soon say goodbye to the German Family at GBR and start back. The drive to New Bight is uneventful and I arrive at 6:45 which gives me plenty of time to preflight, depart, and climb high enough to reach Miami Center for my IFR.

At 7:15 I depart on rwy 9 and turn left to a 300 hdg, on course to MYNN. I know I?ll have the sun RIGHT in my eyes for at least 30 min, so I do what I can to use the smoked sun visor and sunglasses. Still not fun though.

Once I reach 5000 ft or so, I am high enough to reach the center and they soon give me my clearance to MYNN, which is direct at 8000 ft. Simple!!

About 10 min after sunset, just as it?s almost too dark to get pics (luckily, I have a rock solid hand to take pics in low light!!), I snap a few shots on the Northern Exuma Chain. I crank the ISO up to 800 and then 1600 on my Nikon P7100, while opening it all the way up to f2.8, and manage to have a decent shutter speed of 1/30sec. I can usually hold her steady down to 1/15 or even 1/8 sec if I?m lucky.

15157174851_f0bcf62c5e.jpg

15137127696_988010a309.jpg

It turns out pretty well actually, without any noticeable blur, although 800 is the max practical ISO.

Since the wind is almost calm, I ask approach if I can land straight in to rwy 32, but unfortunately, they have to sequence me to land on 14 which adds about 5-10 extra min of air time. Oh well??

It is now about 30 min after sunset I am cleared to land when about 6 nm out and land long to lessen my taxi time back to Executive Aviation. The line guys are waiting and I just tell them that I?ll wait until tomorrow to fill up when I leave for FPR

I park and then call a taxi to head back to the Hotel where I will go on to the Atlantis and get a bite to eat. Unfortunately, I arrive at the Atlantis just before 10 PM and most of the restaurants are closed.

WHAT????

Being such a mega resort, and overpriced at that, you would think they would offer dining at least until midnight, if not later??? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

14973485220_4087bd098b.jpg

I manage to get a pizza down at the marina and then grab a few drinks up at the bar near the coral towers. While I don?t try to make a fool out of myself drinking, I certainly let the liquor flow since I'll be taking a taxi back and not flying until 3:00 tomorrow. Might as well since its my last night in the Bahamas!!

14973572628_dbbf3e8f07.jpg

I have 3 Rum Runners and a Heineken and feel pretty nice afterwards!! As I get up from the bar to wait for taxi, I feel pretty light as I?m walking, but it?s hard to know if that the booze kicking in or if it?s my wallet weighing a lot less after those $$$ Atlantis Cocktails!!

Haha!!

Its now 12:30 AM, and being that I am far from sober, as I get onboard the taxi I ask the driver if he can take me on a tour through the ROUGHEST part of Nassau, somewhere south over the hill!!

I first thought he would think I?m crazy and laugh at my request, but he quickly agrees to do that. I ask him if it?s OK that I film with my Gopro and he has no problem with it as long as I don?t flash and make it obvious that I am filming.

NO PROBLEM!!!

Since it was dark, I was under the influence of those tasty Rum Runners, and I didn?t have my GPS on, I have no idea where we went over the hill, but I do remember him giving me a very informative tour. He was very knowledgeable about which streets were the worst. We even drove by the site of a fatal shooting just 3 nights earlier (locals on locals---no tourists).

Once about 1500 ft past that, we made 2 left turns into an even rougher area of town, where there were groups of 6 to 8 young men all hanging out in close proximity!!!

He tells me that I would be heckled at the very least if I just got out and started walking around!!

Uhhhh??????no thanks!! I'm staying inside!

Even though the whole theme of this entire vacation was getting to rarely visited places, totally under my own power------ this was a place I was NOT going to even THINK about visiting without being accompanied by a local who knows the area!!!

If I had the choice between driving this route on my own versus making that 60 nm boat trip from Crooked Island to East Plana Cay that I mentioned back on Jul 19th, I would have gladly taken my chances on the boat that day!!

We seem to exit the rough part of town as very quickly as we make our way west, and within 1/2 mi, are in an even fairly upscale section!! Amazing how fast that happens!

Once back at the Junkaboo, I tip him generously for the tour and thank him profusely!

You are telling my you flew commercially to Mayaguana??:eek: You, my friend, have a lot of splainin to do, unless this was before you had your PPL:mad2:

Haha!

I loved Mayaguana, and Shorty was such a cool and friendly guy as well as a fantastic resource about the island when I relentlessly picked his brain!

Next time I'm there, I'm determined to make it to Long Bay under my own power as shown on the map. Damn creek timing at high tide made me turn around:mad:

Yes ,It was before I had my PPL, I had just started training. I was drooling when we got to the airfield seeing a 310, a Mooney,and a Bonanza sitting there.Wondered about the DC-3 and the other wrecks sitting there.
It was a small group of fishermen . We had an American Guide and a local guide, had a blast wading that creek. Was told to be careful some big lemons swim the channel had fun seeing all the smaller ones everywhere. Didn't do well there though. We caught our bonefish out off the protected beaches between the reef and shore.
We used Shorty's van to get around.
There was a new development out toward that creek ,how was that coming?

Yes ,It was before I had my PPL, I had just started training. I was drooling when we got to the airfield seeing a 310, a Mooney,and a Bonanza sitting there.Wondered about the DC-3 and the other wrecks sitting there.
It was a small group of fishermen . We had an American Guide and a local guide, had a blast wading that creek. Was told to be careful some big lemons swim the channel had fun seeing all the smaller ones everywhere. Didn't do well there though. We caught our bonefish out off the protected beaches between the reef and shore.
We used Shorty's van to get around.
There was a new development out toward that creek ,how was that coming?

How long ago did you visit and what time of year was it? I've been parked a total of 5 days there over 2 seperate trips and have not once had another plane on the ramp at any time!!

Luckily, that development has been haulted for the forseeable future. I am strongly against such a thing, as are a lot of Mayaguana's (maybe most) and I hope it becomes nothing more than a pipe dream for at least several more decades as it would be an absolute shame to permanantly alter such a prestine place.

If they want to develop, go to Nassau for crying out loud where the infarstructure is there already.

It just drives me nuts that the Bahamas is the land of unfinished projects (you can see the land being cut up when flying over it) and the govt there should require any developer to put up a large % of the total cost in cash, before the first shoves breaks ground.

Rant over:yikes:

I was there for about a week.
I don't remember the exact time late winter,March maybe? I think.

The problem is the Govt., they promoted that development, they were looking to line their pockets up in Nassau. The locals would get nothing or next to it. They live there because the love it, they could move to any other island they wanted to but choose not to.

When you walked the beach did you see all the trash and thousands of tennis shoes washed up? It's amazing what hurricanes stir up from elsewhere and washes up there. Locals only pick up the good stuff. I walked the beaches beach combing for fun, the tennis shoes were from a container washed overboard when going somewhere from China.Thousands and I couldn't find a matched pair:)
I found fishing lure's, ropes, bouy's ,fishing net's and line, and a big black plastic tube. I'd seen one of those black tubes somewhere before,then I remembered years ago in a Sparton Electronics plant, those were the shipping container for Sona-bouy submarine detectors. Navy just throws them overboard after setting them.
Did you see any of the land crabs that are big enough to break your arm?
Man ,talking about it I'd really like to go back:yes:

I was there for about a week.
I don't remember the exact time late winter,March maybe? I think.

The problem is the Govt., they promoted that development, they were looking to line their pockets up in Nassau. The locals would get nothing or next to it. They live there because the love it, they could move to any other island they wanted to but choose not to.

When you walked the beach did you see all the trash and thousands of tennis shoes washed up? It's amazing what hurricanes stir up from elsewhere and washes up there. Locals only pick up the good stuff. I walked the beaches beach combing for fun, the tennis shoes were from a container washed overboard when going somewhere from China.Thousands and I couldn't find a matched pair:)
I found fishing lure's, ropes, bouy's ,fishing net's and line, and a big black plastic tube. I'd seen one of those black tubes somewhere before,then I remembered years ago in a Sparton Electronics plant, those were the shipping container for Sona-bouy submarine detectors. Navy just throws them overboard after setting them.
Did you see any of the land crabs that are big enough to break your arm?
Man ,talking about it I'd really like to go back:yes:

Ohhhhh yesssss! I saw a TON of random stuff that washed up on shore!!

However, I bet even the locals HARDLY visit the stretch of coast where I took this photo since you have to drive 55 min (8 miles) on an overgrown path, and then walk another 90 minutes to get there, and since it faces N and E, the winds usually are onshore, so the days you can comfortable use a boat are few.

Heck.....these are the only known photos on the entire internet of the NE shore of Mayaguana, with the exception of Booby Cay----and believe me, I spent many late nights on Google and Yahoo trying to find them in the months leading up to this trip!

15148102562_84fae87af9_z.jpg

14961839790_fdeeed555b_z.jpg

Last edited:

July 28th: Bye Bye Bahamas

https://vimeo.com/105233714

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56841718@N06/sets/72157647312763005/

Wake up this morning around 9:00 feeling OK, which is a pleasant surprise after having a lot to drink last night! I start packing away all of my belongings and make sure that I am checked out by 11 AM.

Around 12:30 I hop on a taxi to the airport. Since I'm pretty hungry, I ask the driver if I can stop at Wendy's for a bit to eat, but it turns out the line is too long to make it worth the hassle. Should have guessed since it was 12:45, right in the middle of lunch hour.

I arrive back at Executive Aviation and load the plane up, have the line guys top her off, and then pay the $25 departure tax.

14973502909_22c493a670.jpg

Unfortunately, when I get the bill from Executive Aviation, it looks a lot higher than I had anticipated and so I look through it before agreeing to all of the charges.

Well.......good thing it did, because they charged me $210 in bogus customs and immigration overtime fees because I had arrived back in Nassau at 8:30 last night from MYCB.

I explained politely that this was a DOMESTIC flight and that i was not legally required to clear customs yesterday and told that that I did that in the Berry Islands on July 10th and had then paid the $50 C7A fee for private aircraft.

She seemed a bit perturbed, but took the charges off. Thank you!!!

After I have the tanks full and my cameras set up, etc, I walk back inside to call CBP in Ft Pierce, Fla to report my arrival. I get the officers initials and get ready to depart.

When I call clearance delivery (I was flying IFR) I am delayed almost 15 minutes!! In July at 3:00, I'm sure you can imagine how uncomfortable that was on the ramp!

The controller at first told me that he had no flightplan on file for me and I told him that i did file!! After 10 minutes, he told me that because I filed for a lower altitude (4000 ft) that that was the reason it was being held up.

I then told him that I could amend my altitude to expedite my clearance being accepted. That didn't seem to help speed things along:-((

Finally after another 5 minutes of sitting and baking in the hot Bahamas sun, all is resolved and they clear me to taxi to runway 32. I wait behind 2 airliners, making sure not to get too close to their jet blast.

After another 5-10 min wait, I am finally cleared for takeoff where I will climb to 4000 feet on a 320 hog and then join BR65V on course to Freeport, ANGEE KFPR. The airway takes me RIGHT over the same sandbar that I first visited on my first day!

15137202316_ee82df390b.jpg

That water near the Berry Islands is nothing short of magnificent, with that ever so perfect shade of blue! Since the sandbar is too close in for me to get a good pic of it, I ask the ATC if I could adjust my course to get some pics of it.

"Approved as requested, report back on course to Freeport"

Cool:)

15137201096_4268fec1e3.jpg

About 40 nm SE of Freeport, I am to Freeport approach. When I check in, he asks me my DME from Freeport and then asks me to report LAUTH.

Since Freeport app is non-radar, they ask for position reports and ETA's, even at non compulsory waypoints. Makes you feel like you are going back in time!

Once I am about 5 nm past MYGF, I am re-cleared all the way to KFPR as expected (they momentary cut my clearance limit short to Freeport, but told me to expect rest of route once near MYGF). About 20 nm NW of Freeport now at 4000 along BR62V, I am handed off to Miami Center and they ask me to climb to 6000 ft so I can be in radar coverage.

NO PROBLEM!!

14973655378_59aaa8f413.jpg

The rest of the flight is uneventful and I am cleared to land at Ft Pierce straight into runway 28L.

15160231625_c9d3789ac6.jpg

I taxi to the customs building and park and bring in all my luggage on the cart.

The officer on duty asks for my passport and immigration card as well as my pilots and medical certs. He quickly glances at his screen and asks me if I've ever been in trouble with the law.

"No, I haven't other than a few minor traffic tickets''

"Ah.....we don't care about those" and goes on to tell me a brief story how he was stopped (in uniform BTW) for doing 40 in a 35 zone once.

Too funny! Guy is very polite, courteous and professional with a cool southern accent.

Next through was an x-ray of my luggage. This was a new procedure at FPR and the direct result of a pilot last year who was caught running coke!! I hope they prosecuted him to the fullest extent of the law, since it gives the rest of us a bad rap.:mad:

The other guy on duty wanted to go hope early so he only asks to x-ray one of my bags and then sends me on my way.

In and out of there in 10 minutes tops! Whoooo!:D

I taxi her over just 100 yards to APP Jet where I return the raft and top off again. Being a lot later in the day than I was hoping (don't you just love how you run behind schedule on vacation!), and feeling a lot more fatigued, I am only wanting to fly for another 200 nm, tops.

When inside of the FBO, I ask for suggestions on where to spend the night up north a ways. Somewhere with cheap fuel and convenient access to accommodations, not to mention food!

A few pilots quickly suggest St Augustine (SGJ) as my best bet, so i file IFR there and am on my way again shortly.

On this segment, I am assigned 5000 ft and get some nice pics of the sun setting.

15137192976_2d7d6d337a.jpg

I am cleared for the visual on runway 31 at SGJ just as it starts to get dark.

I bend over backwards to do as much of my flying as possible during the daylight hours so I can get pics and video of course.

My rental car is waiting for me just 30' from the plane and I drive just 5 minutes to get some Chinese Food, and then another 10 min to the Hampton Inn, where the beds are very comfortable.

I hit the hay around 11 PM and am really looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tomorrow night!!

July 29th: I'll be sleeping in my own bed tonight!

(scroll to 5:02)
https://vimeo.com/105233714

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56841718@N06/sets/72157646897043510/

I get out of bed around 8:30 and then drive back to the airport around 9:00. After preflighting, I taxi over to the self serve fuel pumps to top her off, and then check the oil and am soon on my way.

I will be making a quick stop for food and fuel in Newport News, VA (PHF) and from there I'll be heading HOME to!!!!!!

After a short taxi, I depart runway 31 and soon am turned on course on a 030 hdg.

14973707717_288acbeb05.jpg

I am cleared to 7000 ft and for a while, I am a ways off shore when passing the GA coastline. Once I reach SC, I seem to notice how cool it is outside. In fact, I am even the littlest bit chilly so I actually turn on the heat!! The OAT is just +7C at this altitude!

I NEVER thought I'd be needing the heat while flying this far south in July, unless well above 10,000 ft. Turns out that there has been a very strong cold front that has moved very far south for this time of year.

Looking at the surface weather depiction chart, it looks like a setup that you would find in the dead of winter!!

That same seasonally adjusted setup would likely bring a dusting of snow to coastal GA if this had happened between Dec and Mar! Just amazing.

The rest of the flight is uneventful and I get handed off to almost a dozen different facilities on this 500 NM segment.

15160282625_f8d63b6d31.jpg

Soon enough, I am coming up on PHG and am cleared to land straight in on runway 2. I ask for a top-off and then borrow the courtesy car to go into town for a bite to eat.

15160276485_d07486b5b2.jpg

Since I want to get back ASAP, I just stop at McDonalds and am soon on my way.

I depart rwy 2 again straight on course to on a 040 hdg and climb to 5000.

Very soon I will be flying through some of the most CONGESTED airspace in the entire country!

As many of you probably know already, ATC in the Southern Mid-Atlantic region always assign routes to northbound low altitude IFR's that get amended by the New York controllers. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!

Its comical, so any clearance I get, i know I'm going to be reassigned once I reach Southern NJ, give or take......

Well......this is no exception!

I am given a clearance to JAMIE and then from there, direct to HFD, my home airport. I just laugh, because I know it will be a cold day in hell before NY controllers allow me to fly present position JAMIE KHFD!!

Sure enough, once I reach the Deleware Bay, ACY app gives me an amended routing.

I knew it!

As per the usual, they clear me right over JFK at 7000 ft then V229 HFD.

EVERY SINGLE TIME WHEN FLYING NE this is what you will get!!

The radio is pretty quiet even as far north as central NJ. I know, however that that is soon going to change!!

A bit before DIXIE, I am handed off to NY control, and, sure enough, there is a lot of traffic on the frequency. About 20 NM later, near BLM, I am handed off to the next sector and the frequency is VERY busy with airliners departing, many heading off to Europe. Being that it is now 6 PM, that only makes sense.

Its really hard to get in a word with the non-stop chatter, and ATC calls traffic on 5 separate occasions when about 5 nm from JFK!!

15160267095_414576ccab.jpg

Its amazing to think that on this trip, I went all the way from lonely and sleepy Mayaguana, (their airport gets 4 movements PER WEEK) to JFK which has 1200 operations EVERY DAY!!

Nice contrast!!

On the NE side of Kennedy now, I am handed off to the next sector, where his frequency is a bit less busy, and then about 35 NM later, I am handed off to BDL approach, my home radar facility!!

It is a welcome relief to be that much closer to home!!!

About 10 minutes to go until I land at my home base of HFD, I cancel IFR, and fly on my own the rest of the way since I want to fly over my place.

15157280771_a4711acd45.jpg

14973681907_ea9c2a4a56.jpg

3 minutes later, I am cleared to land on Runway 2. As luck would have it, my mom is in town for her job, and arrives just as I land! She timed it perfectly since she tracked me on Flightaware.

Once I shut her down, she helps me gather some of my luggage to throw in my car. I insist that she only carries light bags because I do NOT want her to injure her back!!

We make the drive home, where she has dinner cooking for me, and wants to hear ALL about my vacation!!

Oh josh......I don't even know where to start, other than I had a FANTASTIC time!!!

Final Thoughts and Reflections

If there is ONE think that I would most change about this vacation, its that I should have visited no more than 3 different islands!!

Its like I just HAD to see everything, and as a result of that, spent wayyy too much lost time packing and unpacking the plane---time that could have been much better spent!

What I enjoyed MOST:

By far my favorite self guided excursion was taking that 17' Whaler, 30 NM each way from Staniel Cay to the Scrub Cays and back.

I can't even begin to describe the feeling of euphoria when I got to that particular sandbar and back unscathed. Like I said before, the feeling of euphoria as I walked on that sandbar, rivaled that of my absolute best flight in LIFR, skimming 30' above a crisp undercast with 200 and 1/2 below me!

The most unpleasant experience of the trip:

Even as I am writing this almost 3 months later, post mortem----I am STILL very disappointed that I scrapped the grand daddy of all of my boat excursions----that being the 60 NM trip from Crooked Island to E Plana Cay.

While I know I absolutely did the right think and made the correct decision when that voice in my head was going off, it still was a torturous barrage of 2nd guessing myself.

Of course, later that same day having to turn back at that creek on Mayaguana, just added salt to the wound!!

PLANS FOR A FUTURE TRIP?? YES!!!!

I am determined to make it back to Mayaguana to try again to reach not just White Hill Bay, but Long Bay as well!!

As it stands now, my aiming point is for May 3-6th of 2016. I chose early May as a good trade-off between having long hours of daylight, along with cooler temperatures than mid July.......although the H&H weren't half bad that day due to the extensive (high) overcast and occasional showers.

I should point out that I did not just pick out May 3-6th indiscriminately. I choose that window, because that is when low tide is between 11 AM and 2 PM, which makes it perfect for crossing that creek with minimal hassle.

Furthermore........on the next attempt, I have GOT TO get a much earlier start if I have a hope and a prayer of making it on foot from Wreck Bay to Long Bay and back---a total distance of 13 NM Roundtrip!!

I must be on foot at Wreck Bay absolutely no later than 7 AM (6:30 even better) which means I would have to leave the Baycaner at 5 AM, and make part of the drive on that path before it gets light outside. On my ill faded quest for Long Bay, I didn't even leave Wreck Bay until almost NOON!!!

OUCH!

Even if that creek had been completely dry, I should have known (I think I later would have figured it out) that there was no way I'd make it 13 NM on foot in an 8 hr time frame (it gets dark on Mayaguana a bit before 8:00 in mid July---20 min earlier in early May---a fair trade for cooler temperatures and lower humidity in my opinion) and that I would have been better suited waiting an extra day, and leaving early the next morning 18 hrs later.

If I make it all the way from my front door to Long Bay, and back to the Baycaner Lodge, totally under my own power, I am going to feel 10X higher that if I were to successfully summit Mt Everest!

I am totally serious!!

mount_everest.jpg

Getting to a remote area that looks ugly, is not that satisfying to me.

Getting to a beautiful beach that is alongside a paved road, in and of itself is also not that satisfying to me either, especially if it is filled with other travelers.

Now......getting to a remote beach that is hard to reach AND is beautiful such as White Hill Bay and Long Bay, is pure ecstasy!!

Speaking of Mt Everest.........

Ever since my unanticipated turn around at the creek, I have become VERY interested in the highest mountain on earth, and have since watched a lot of documentaries about climbing the mountain.

I'm not actually wanting to climb it, but watch others attempt it and when hearing their stories of failure, followed by successfully making it to the summit, some years later, being able to RELATE to their pain and then joy on a level that I would not have been able to, was it not for my turn back on Mayaguana as well as throwing in the towel on my 60 NM boat ride to E Plana Cay.

Can you imagine spending $50-80K, years of preparation, countless nights up late----all to reach the goal of 29,035 ft and then being just 300 vertical feet from the top and having to turn back down because of incoming wx, or you are just 10 minutes past the 2 PM BINGO time to return to camp 4:eek::eek:

I would never have the stomach for heartbreak like that!!

I mean.......me turning back in Mayaguana cost me perhaps $3000 and 2 years not making it to Long Bay, but after listening to these hardcore mountaineer stories on the roof of the world, thats chump change and and an eye blink.

I've since learned that many of the mountaineers who failed the first time, waited upwards of 5 or even 10 years until they were successful!!

And those are the lucky climbers...........

I haven't even mentioned the real price some of them have paid for this! I'm talking about losing limbs due to frostbite, and of course the ultimate price of having an early appointment with the grim reaper!!!

Even in this day and age, Mt Everest has a 3% fatality rate of all the climbers that attempt it. That is wayyy more risk than even someone like me would want to accept.

I can't even imagine wanting to get near my equivalent of Mt Everest (East Plana Cay) if I had a 1 in 30 chance of dying in pursuit of it!

Even if I had made that 60 NM trip that day in the 18 ft Outrage, the odds of me dying were probably 1 in 1,000, or even 1 in 10,000.

Seeing the comparison in the mental toughness between myself on this trip, compared to diehard mountaineers was very insightful and it made me find the answers to questions that i never even knew to ask before.

And that's what traveling is all about, right?? Growing emotionally from new experiences!!

Can someone get me a countdown timer to put on my desk at work!!! :D:D

My entire trip report is now complete! I really appreciate all of you giving me feedback and hope all of you have enjoyed reading my travelogue!

May you all have warm weather, sunny skies, tailwinds, and following seas on your next Bahamas trip!!

Wow...is all I can say!! Only thing missing is humidity and wind o vision...SPECTACULAR JOB!!!!

Thank you for taking me along for the ride.

AWESOME DOCUMENTARY.....AWESOME VACATION

My only gripe...that damn cowl screw!!!;)

Hurry up and take another vacation....can't wait for another.

Wow...is all I can say!! Only thing missing is humidity and wind o vision...SPECTACULAR JOB!!!!

OMG, you have no idea how BADLY I'm craving another trip. Not just anywhere in the Bahamas, but specifically back to Long Bay on Mayaguana, and East Plana Cay----the places I failed to reach under my own power.:mad2::mad2:

I hate to be a glass half empty kind of person, but even though there were some absolute gems that I successfully got to and back DIY, I am HURTING that I failed at reaching the 2 above mentioned places, and would give a few of my fingers and toes to be successful:D

I didn't mention it but also in the cards is a WHOPPER of a self guided excursion to a place that almost no one EVER goes!!

The NE point of Great Inagua, as shown on the map image below.

To get there I fly into MYIG, rent either a Ford F-150 or a jeep, and then drive 53 NM (6 hours) on a 4WD road, and then once at the end of that path......

I will WALK an additional 12 NM from there to northeast point, and back to the vehicle and then drive 6 hrs back to civilization again..

15802782751_221a789049_c.jpg

Here is the kicker though...

To make that longgggg walk, I will be carrying 60-65 lbs of stuff on my back with 90% of that weight being WATER!!!

As recently as a few weeks ago, the thought of walking the equivalent to a marathon, in the Bahamas (where there is NO freshwater) was something that was totally out of the question....

But then I got in touch with a guy who walked 45 miles over 3 days around the perimiter of the eastern Half of Mayaguana back in 1983......IN JULY!!!!

He was 30 at the time and when I spoke with him on the phone, it sounded like he was not in as good of shape as I am, so that has emboldened me to do it!!

Even though I prefer to visit the Bahamas in July, there is nooo way I'm going to attempt this in the height of summer.

I am aiming for early May of 2016 when it will be somewhat cooler and less humid, but with only 15 minutes less daylight than in July---a good tradeoff.

I'll keep everyone posted of course, but I tell ya, if I make it to NE point and back, totally under my own power, I'm going to feel 10X better than if I were to successfully summit Everest----or even K2!!

Last edited:

I have been following your posts closely - very jealous of the experience

so the question that has been burning inside of me is how many flight hours and gallons of gas? you mentioned it was a rental plane, how'd you get it away for 30 days?

How'd you like St Augustine (I'm from that area)?

I have been following your posts closely - very jealous of the experience

so the question that has been burning inside of me is how many flight hours and gallons of gas? you mentioned it was a rental plane, how'd you get it away for 30 days?

How'd you like St Augustine (I'm from that area)?

Hobbs time was 53.7:eek::eek:

I didn't really keep track of how much fuel I burned, but I do know that I did a lot more flying within the Bahamas that I had previously anticipated!!

I had the plane away for 20 days, so they got 2.6-2.7 hours per day out of it, so I'm sure the owner was happy!

I didn't really have time to see SGJ, other than driving to and from the Hampton Inn, but I was happy with the price of 100LL SS of course:yes:

You missed getting to the beach you wanted because you didn't think like an islander. An islander would have taken a boat, simple.

You missed getting to the beach you wanted because you didn't think like an islander. An islander would have taken a boat, simple.

Oh, I know Henning! I certainly could have hired a local fisherman to take me there, but the whole point was getting there totally under my own power, not just simply getting there.

Any smurf can do that. Not everyone can accomplish the physical and/or mental bandwidth required to get there and back DIY.

Yep....I'm picky about the sentimental value in that sort of thing, much the same way mountaineers are about the criteria used to count summits, etc

Last edited:

Oh, I know Henning! I certainly could have hired a local fisherman to take me there, but the whole point was getting there totally under my own power, not just simply getting there.

Any smurf can do that. Not everyone can accomplish the physical and/or mental bandwidth required to get there and back DIY.

Yep....I'm picky about the sentimental value in that sort of thing, much the same way mountaineers are about the criteria used to count summits, etc

Well if you had a fully grown set you would have landed the plane on th beach.:lol:;)

Hobbs time was 53.7:eek::eek:

I didn't really keep track of how much fuel I burned, but I do know that I did a lot more flying within the Bahamas that I had previously anticipated!!

I had the plane away for 20 days, so they got 2.6-2.7 hours per day out of it, so I'm sure the owner was happy!

I didn't really have time to see SGJ, other than driving to and from the Hampton Inn, but I was happy with the price of 100LL SS of course:yes:

That's actually a lot less time than I anticipated - so did you rent the plane dry? or does the owner just reimburse for fuel up to $x/gal? Did you have to get one of those CBP stickers for the plane before you went? What was the process for taking the rental out of the country or did anyone ask?

That's actually a lot less time than I anticipated - so did you rent the plane dry? or does the owner just reimburse for fuel up to $x/gal? Did you have to get one of those CBP stickers for the plane before you went? What was the process for taking the rental out of the country or did anyone ask?

I arranged a dry rental rate. Just a lot easier than keeping track of all those receipts.

Getting the CPB sticker was easy on the DTOPS website. $33 I think. Some recommend getting a notarized letter when taking the plane out of the USA, but upon return, CBP only asked me for my license and medical, and of course my passport.

When I returned from Canada last year (cleared at BTV), the agent suggested that I have written permission from the owner, but he didn't say it was a requirement.

Well if you had a fully grown set you would have landed the plane on th beach.:lol:;)

Ya know Henning, I gotta be honest.......when I flew over East Plana Cay around 100 ft, a BIG part of me was secretly hoping the engine would throw a rod!!:D

Hmmmm.........a tail dragger with tundra tires might be in my future! A lot less hassle than an amphibian IMHO! Just need to land about 1-2 hrs before low tide!

I was thinking the same thing as that cowl screw bounces around!

This makes me want to take a couple weeks off and hit the bahamas. What other planes have you taken to the bahamas? My only experience was Bimini for lunch which is barely a short cross country from south florida.

I'm sure the 150 I fly hasn't been over that much water in its lifetime!

Last edited:

This makes me want to take a couple weeks off and hit the bahamas. What other planes have you taken to the bahamas. My only experience was Bimini for lunch which is barely a short cross country from south florida.

I'm sure the 150 I fly hasn't been over that much water in its lifetime!

I only fly 172's (with perhaps a dozen or two hours logged in PA-28's) so that is the only M&M I've taken to the islands.

In the coming years, I'm looking seriously at a 3 or 4 way partnership in a Mooney 201 (M20J). A plane like that would be PERFECT for making trips from Connecticut to the Bahamas.

I was thinking the same thing as that cowl screw bounces around!

Not one screwdriver in all of the Bahamas. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not one screwdriver in all of the Bahamas. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure any bartender can get you one:yes:

Back