172SP or 172R

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Does anyone have a 172SP or 172R POH, and can scan the "Center of Gravity Moment Envelope" for me? All I have is a 172N manual, and I would like to compare to see if there is a difference.

Also - if someone wants to be so kind, scanning the page of the stations or loading arrangments for me would be helpful too!

Thanks!

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
Does anyone have a 172SP or 172R POH, and can scan the "Center of Gravity Moment Envelope" for me? All I have is a 172N manual, and I would like to compare to see if there is a difference.

Also - if someone wants to be so kind, scanning the page of the stations or loading arrangments for me would be helpful too!

Thanks!
If no one replies with scans by tonight, let me know. I've got both at home and can help. I won't be home for a few hours, though.

My scanner (some 7 years old, and cheap even then) won't talk to Windows XP, or I'd hook you up :(

Wow. You waited this long? My CFI and I went over everything a week ahead of time. He reviewed it all with me to make sure I understood.

NickDBrennan said:
I found out about 45 minutes ago that it would be tomorrow. Its the only day the DE has for a long time.

It's kinda more exciting this way - no time to get nervous.
Yowch! You got some crunching to do tonight!

Home in three hours or so...

Brian Austin said:
Yowch! You got some crunching to do tonight!

Home in three hours or so...

NOOOOO!!!

IMHO, Best thing to do tonight is NOT study. Make sure you have your FAR/AIM marked up so you can find information you may need quickly during the oral, do your weight and balance, and then relax. You aren't going to learn any more tonight. You already know the information, and you know how to fly, or there's not a snowball's chance in hell your CFI would have set you up for a rush job with the DE.

Relax, and you'll do fine. I know that's far easier said than done, but do try :)

Here's a sample output from the computer program I wrote to do W&B for the 172S:
wb_172sp.gif

... and here's the corresponding one for a "classic" 172:
wb_172.gif

I hope these help!
If anyone finds something wrong with 'em, please let me know. The envelopes are taken from my POH's, so they should (!) be right.
The program is customized for my weight and my FBO's fleet... plus 250 lbs in the passenger seat and nothing else. The arrow goes from full fuel to empty fuel.

Enjoy!

--Kath

Last edited:
Ack... Well you probably won't sleep at all tonight. What I made early on was a spreadsheet in Excel. I had all the formulas in there so I could just type in the weight at each location. You just then have to know what the boundaries are.

Joe Williams said:
NOOOOO!!!

IMHO, Best thing to do tonight is NOT study. Make sure you have your FAR/AIM marked up so you can find information you may need quickly during the oral, do your weight and balance, and then relax. You aren't going to learn any more tonight. You already know the information, and you know how to fly, or there's not a snowball's chance in hell your CFI would have set you up for a rush job with the DE.

Relax, and you'll do fine. I know that's far easier said than done, but do try :)
Actually, he's got all the flight planning to do tonight. THAT'S what I was referring to. You remember all the details that the DE wants to see? I had a couple of weeks. He's got one evening. ;)

Brian Austin said:
Actually, he's got all the flight planning to do tonight. THAT'S what I was referring to. You remember all the details that the DE wants to see? I had a couple of weeks. He's got one evening. ;)

Good, that'll give him something to think about besides the test. :p I spent half the night before my ride double checking everything in my flight bag, making sure I had little markers sticking out of the FAR/AIM with little notes marking what each was, double checking the route I'd flight planned and double checked a half dozen times already LOL. Turned out I never opened the FAR because I knew my stuff and my instructor had made sure, going over the flight plan wasn't really any different than going over the ones I'd done with my instructors, and the only thing he wanted to see out of my flight bag was my flashlights, since he'd seen the charts and A/FD while we were talking about my flight planning. All that worrying, wasted!! :rofl:

Good luck, Nick, it's actually a fun time :)

Okay, Nick, here you go. They aren't terribly big but I'm emailing you the big stuff (1.4+ each).

FYI, these are from the 172S. Can't find my 172R at the moment. I think I loaned it to someone.

Right-click them and "Save Link As..." to your computer.

NickDBrennan said:
woohoo! thanks brian!

Any chance I can get one more off ya....the fuel burn chart and the takeoff/landing distance chart. If not, I appreciate everything you've done so far!
Gimme a few minutes....

This one is via e-mail. You'll want the bigger pics for the charts. Check e-mail in a few minutes. Attaching now.

NickDBrennan said:
damn dude, I wish I could buy you a beer!

If you ever need anything at all - lemme know!
We're here to help each other out. You'd do the same, I'm sure.

We're close enough to meet for lunch somewhere, you know. I'll let you buy, just not a beer. ;)

So, we are all on the edge of our seats now. You gotta let us know how it goes.

Jim G

Back