172 Yoke Mounted Mini

WakeNCAgent

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
I recently flew for the first time using my yoke mounted mini in a 172S. The results were less than satisfactory. I carefully tested it during preflight checks but once in the air the lower edge of the standard tablet mount rubbed against the edge of my knee board. I guess must have adjusted my knee board in flight and the resulting conflict ensued. I've since ordered extensions from Ram on eBay and wondered if anyone has had a similar experience? If so, I'd like to see if you can post a pic of your setup, preferably a side profile, because there appears to be several possible setups. Thanks!

Yes! Please post solutions. I've got an iPad 2 with a nice suction cup mount which I could not find anywhere to mount in either C-172 I fly where it would not interfere with either the instrument panel, important parts of the outside view, or my head. I bought a mini with the intent of a yoke mount, but I haven't bought a yoke mount yet and I'd like to see what works for folks.

John

I fly with a Yoke Mounted MIni in my 172N and don't have any issues. I angle the top towards the panel slightly, which both helps it clear my legs during a turn and also makes it easier to read (since the screen is facing me directly). This is similar to my setup (not my photo, though): https://www.gpscity.com/gallery_pics/pic01265-1.jpg

Additionally, if that doesn't work for you, I've seen people fly with the iPad in landscape mode. That's not how I like to see it, but it looks like it'd better fit the yoke footprint and so shouldn't be any more of a concern with regard to rubbing your leg/kneeboard. https://www.gpscity.com/gallery_pics/pic01265-3.jpg

Get an iPro Navigator for your mini. It includes a clipboard that can be swung up to the top to double as a glare shield. iPad easily slides in and out of the top without removing the mount.

ipad-yoke-mount-quad.jpg

iPro-Navigator-C182.jpg

ipro-navigator-yoke-mount.gif

I use a mini-mini-iPad (aka iPhone 4) in the yokemount in my 172N. It's small enough that it doesn't block any instruments, and light enough that its mass isn't noticeable with large, quick control inputs (e.g. crosswind landings). The display is adequate for basic magenta-line following, and is all I need for local flights. I bring the iPad2 for longer trips and use it for checking weather, looking up airport data, etc., while still navigating with the iPhone.

SAM_2121.JPG

Pivotcase.com

They have a case with a clip that will work in the car, airplane and boat

I bought an elastic iPad strap from Sporty's. Goes around the thigh like a kneeboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't have a side/profile view, but here's the front view of mine.
As you can see, the mini does not really protrude below the yoke, so no conflict with kneeboard.
iPadMiniMounted_sm.jpg

The Ram mount has 2 spots to mount the ball so I do not see a issue? You can mount low, high, offset, upside down etc.

I need to find a good mount for an iPad Air2 in rental Cessnas. Any recommendations?
I normally fly a C-182RG or T-41B.

Back