Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
VA Aviator
1976 Cessna 172N

"average" AFTT

0 time since new on a Penn yann 180HP O360

IFR approved GNS430, new comm 2, new audio panel

Paint "by the book" is a 5-6 but most sellers would probably rate it an "8" since it's in good shape and doesn't look original

Interior "by the book" is probably a 4 - original, a bit ratty and worn, most sellers would probably say a "7"

Any clues? Not finding a lot of 180HP skyhawks for sale out there.

1976 Cessna 172N
Some confusion here. 1977 was the first model year for the 172N. Some of those (beginning with s/n 17267585) were built in late calendar year 1976, so they're listed as '1976' in the FAA registration database.

If it's a 1976 model year 172 (up through s/n 17267584), then it's a 172M.

The engine change from 172M to N is moot on this airplane, but other changes for 1977 included pre-select flaps and vernier mixture control.

Last edited:
Some confusion here. 1977 was the first model year for the 172N. Some of those (beginning with s/n 17267585) were built in late calendar year 1976, so they're listed as '1976' in the FAA registration database.

changes for 1977 included pre-select flaps and vernier mixture control.

The first part of what you posted is correct - the S/N is higher than 7585, AW date is 9/1976.

The flap selector and mixture control match this as well.

1976 Cessna 172N

"average" AFTT

0 time since new on a Penn yann 180HP O360

IFR approved GNS430, new comm 2, new audio panel

Paint "by the book" is a 5-6 but most sellers would probably rate it an "8" since it's in good shape and doesn't look original

Interior "by the book" is probably a 4 - original, a bit ratty and worn, most sellers would probably say a "7"

Any clues? Not finding a lot of 180HP skyhawks for sale out there.

Lol, that is the most convoluted description of a aircraft I've ever seen!

Post numbers and a photo

Average TT?? What's that, 2500, 8000, ??

If it was a school plane, average is going to be a wee bit diferent then if it was some old timers 172.

The paint is a book 5 but a 8 to a seller? Uhh, OK.. And "doesn't look original" is that because it's faded and peeling? Because it's got a vato style girlie scene painted on the tail? Because its pepto bismo pink? Or because it updated to the new paint 172 paint job?

Same weird description of the interior.

What kind of panel?

In annual?

IFR current?

From your description I'd say 25-65k

Average TT?? What's that, 2500, 8000, ??

If it was a school plane, average is going to be a wee bit diferent then if it was some old timers 172.

The paint is a book 5 but a 8 to a seller? Uhh, OK.. And "doesn't look original" is that because it's faded and peeling? Because it's got a vato style girlie scene painted on the tail? Because its pepto bismo pink? Or because it updated to the new paint 172 paint job?

Same weird description of the interior.

What kind of panel?

In annual?

IFR current?

From your description I'd say 25-65k

Well, from the valuation services I've used, (Vref, book and online, and the trade a plane valuation service) there's a typical "average" AFTT that's just that - an average. In this case, I don't know the AFTT.

I've never seen a seller list their paint and interior below an "8" so that was more of a snarky comment. Most of the value guides have set limits on condition of the paint and interior - not the prospective buyer's taste in what paint and interior should look like. So a 70s vintage aircraft that was just "restored to the original" is still a "10" by the book definition, even if the lime green paint and puke orange seats are brand spanking new.

Again, the valuation guides I've worked with assume the aircraft is airworthy and current with inspections. If there are known deficiencies they subtract from the value of the aircraft.

I'm not looking for personal opinions, I'm looking for "what the market will bear"

I'm not looking for personal opinions, I'm looking for "what the market will bear"

Depends on whether you're buying or selling and the circumstances...especially if a seller. Can't tell from what you've written which you are.

Mike

Last edited:
People personal opinions on it's value is what the market will bear, as it's someone personal opinion that's going to be the difference between them laughing at your ad or picking up the phone and calling you.

Go on the sales sites and take a look at the market, look at your comps, ain't rocket surgery

People personal opinions on it's value is what the market will bear, as it's someone personal opinion that's going to be the difference between them laughing at your ad or picking up the phone and calling you.

Go on the sales sites and take a look at the market, look at your comps, ain't rocket surgery

That's part of the problem, low number of sales of this type of aircraft. I've only been paying attention for the past month - all my previous knowledge of aircraft values is 6 years old at this point.

Trade a plane has 11 Cessna 172's with the 180 hp conversion for sale ranging from $29,000 to $147,000. Need more details about the plane, time, history, are all logs complete, etc.

Keep in mind that for most buyers a 172 is a 172. The actual year doesn't really matter to them. The engine and the avionics will sell it and the paint and interior will make it a fast sell or quick sell.

Back