172 Tailwheel Conversion

There's a fellow on the Cessna 172 Club forum who claims to have a '61 C-172B that in 1990 was converted to taildragger, STOL kit, and from swept tail to straight tail.

Sounds like a lot of money -- maybe more than just buying a C-180 to start with?
Photo's and N-number or it didn't happen. :arf:

There's a fellow on the Cessna 172 Club forum who claims to have a '61 C-172B that in 1990 was converted to taildragger, STOL kit, and from swept tail to straight tail.

Sounds like a lot of money -- maybe more than just buying a C-180 to start with?

Was it for sale about a year ago? I seem to recall one being advertised with the mods you describe. There can't be too many '61s with a straight tail conversion and tailwheel conversion on them.

Was it for sale about a year ago? I seem to recall one being advertised with the mods you describe. There can't be too many '61s with a straight tail conversion and tailwheel conversion on them.
He's just been posting about it since last December, so he may have been the one who bought it. Don't know anything more than that.

the instrument panel on a 170 is too small to put a proper 6 pack of instruments for real IFR work.
Not in the six pack configuration, but I'm currently having breakfast with a fully IFR 170 owner. The stuff is arranged oddly on the panel but it is all there.

By the way, main gear alignment is important in any tail dragger. Our club 180 was a handful at times until we figured out that issue.

Not in the six pack configuration, but I'm currently having breakfast with a fully IFR 170 owner. The stuff is arranged oddly on the panel but it is all there.
When I was based in SoCal, I used to keep my '48 170 IFR certified. Everything necessary for legal IFR was there, but the instruments were all over the place. It was perfectly fine for shooting an approach through the marine layer, but I once spent spent 30 minutes getting vectored around the LA Basin in the soup. That was a real workout!

Back