172 or Warrior

For the PP?

I dunno.... :nonod:

Yep, I'm having a hard time thinking of anything in the PP curriculum that would be enhanced by a sim. Unless it would be a what not to do tool that could demonstrate spatial disorientation or something like that.

Trapper John

Yep, I'm having a hard time thinking of anything in the PP curriculum that would be enhanced by a sim. Unless it would be a what not to do tool that could demonstrate spatial disorientation or something like that.

Trapper John

May even be counterproductive -- providing mis-placed confidence.

I think desktop sims have their place in IFR training, once airplane handling is mastered.

I may not be creative enough...:confused:

Sorry for the deviation again, but I was really curious why people thought the 172 is more difficult to land. I've only flown the 172 so I have no comparisons.

Sorry for the deviation again, but I was really curious why people thought the 172 is more difficult to land. I've only flown the 172 so I have no comparisons.
Compared to a Warrior? No significant difference in skill level required to land equally well. Some differences in feel and technique, but nothing worth worrying about. Anyone who can land one can learn to land the other in equal time.

Wait, Wait! I thought Cessnas had Land-O-Matic!

Seriously, it's only a slightly different feel and sight picture, and you'll be able to easily transition from one to the other.

Simply because my cherokee had the interconnected nosegear steering that did not release in the air, I'd say the 172 is much easier to land in a crosswind. You don't have to worry about straightening the nosewheel and letting go of crosswind correction in a 172.

I assume the Warrior has the same nosegear setup as the Cherokees did.

To the OP (if he's still around):

Go sit in/fly both of the planes and see which fits you better - you won't know enough to make a decision based on flight characteristics, but there is a bit of difference in the cabin size/shape. I don't particularly like the 'small' Pipers because my shoulders are fairly broad and I am long-legged so it's easier for me to get in-and-out of Cessnas. Obviously, for some people that isn't an issue because there are a ton of small Pipers flying around today.

Simply because my cherokee had the interconnected nosegear steering that did not release in the air, I'd say the 172 is much easier to land in a crosswind. You don't have to worry about straightening the nosewheel and letting go of crosswind correction in a 172.

I assume the Warrior has the same nosegear setup as the Cherokees did.

The Warrior I have, the nose gear stays in the straight position when you lift off. There is no need to even think about it except for making sure that it is not the first wheel to touch the deck when you land.

You do not let go of a crosswind correction at all after touchdown, you hold it until you are turning off the runway or until the plane can obviously be controlled while relaxing it.

John

I never thought the 172 was more difficult to land, If fact I would have said the Cherokee was a bit more challenging to land WELL. The Cherokee's usually have fairly stiff landing gearing making them harder to grease on. Also I seem to recall the elevator control forces are heaver on the Cherokee (especially the older ones) making it harder to raise the nose for the touch down. Still it is very easy to land and a transition of a new private pilot from a 172 to a Cherokee or vica versa usually takes well less than 2 hours of dual.

Brian
CFII/ASEL

I just wanted to thank everyone for the overwhelming number of replies. I had no idea that so many of you would have such a varying number of opinions. I've already taken an intro flight in the 172 and liked it. I suppose like one of the posters who replied said I could essentially transition to any aircraft after finishing my initial training. Thanks again to all.

Back