172 cowling screws

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
We are looking to replace the cowling screws on a 1968 172I. Our AP has been looking for replacements, but hasn't found what he wants yet.

Any suggestions?

If you still need the Southco fastners you can get them easily through East Coast hardware supply. I gave up on the junky original fasteners and converted them to Camlock style fasteners using a kit that I can't remember the company name. It takes a good bit of labor to install, but I feel it is worth the trouble every time I install the cowling.

If you still need the Southco fastners you can get them easily through East Coast hardware supply. I gave up on the junky original fasteners and converted them to Camlock style fasteners using a kit that I can't remember the company name. It takes a good bit of labor to install, but I feel it is worth the trouble every time I install the cowling.

Skybolts, probably. http://www.skybolt.com/

We had them on one 172, and they were a pain. By last year Skybolt was on their third iteration of the firewall shock mount, since the earlier ones would pull the aluminum socket out of the rubber, or break their thin and brittle mounting flanges. Unless the Southco studs have worn big holes in the cowling, I would just replace them. Much cheaper and easier.

The Skybolts must be installed really carefully; any misalignment in drilling the larger holes (for the new stud sockets) in the elongated Southco stud holes will result in a lot of frustration trying to get them done up. Every time. Skybolt came out with eccentric washers to try to fix that, which is more money and shop time.

And even the Skybolts will work loose and enlarge their cowling holes, and then you buy the large-flange sockets.

I miss plain old machine screws and anchor nuts.

Dan

Or MilSpec, not cheap though.

Everybody hates Soutco's. They work good when they are new but need constant attention to keep them adjusted properly - which is a PITA as it requires replacing the head with the right length or bending the keeper which is by trial and error. You can work on them for hours and there always seems to be one that gives you fits.

But I'm not sure about a '68 back in the good ol' days they just used screws.

Or MilSpec, not cheap though.

Everybody hates Soutco's. They work good when they are new but need constant attention to keep them adjusted properly - which is a PITA as it requires replacing the head with the right length or bending the keeper which is by trial and error. You can work on them for hours and there always seems to be one that gives you fits.

But I'm not sure about a '68 back in the good ol' days they just used screws.

The problem comes from the Lord mount style with the southco anchor in the center. they are expensive at $15-20 each, and last a very short time. and there are about 13 (?) of them

Back