$165 Coke

DC34ME

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DC34ME
Well a $165 rental plane and a 75 cent coke. Went for a nice flight today with my wife and mom. Plane was a Cessna 172P with a nice KLN90 GPS and a few glide slopes. $115/hour with fuel so not a bad price. I departed 6A2 Griffin and went to 4A7 Tara field for a stop and go. Made a 800ft. landing roll since it wasn't my brakes. Then a short field takeoff followed by a climb to 2000ft. While enroute to KOPN Thomaston, I gave my friend a low pass at his strip, no landing on grass with this rental:mad2:. Then we climbed to 3000ft. to do slow flight with a 30KT head wind. GPS said 11Kts but the ground wasn't moving at all, good stuff. Landed at KOPN to get my name on the new T-hangar list, looks like I stand a good chance of making this my home base. After KOPN, climbed out to find those good tailwinds back home, had 140Kts in a 172 at 3000ft...not bad. The only downside is soon I will be buying a C150 and I have spoiled myself with the 172's. Oh well, it's just a start at ownership and I will move up later in life. Thanks for reading and enjoy a few pictures from the flight!

6A2032310034.jpg

Low Pass!
6A2032310037.jpg

11Kts
6A2032310025.jpg

Damn Mike...you are in my neighborhood! :)

I was up yesterday to go eat lunch at KWDR. Nice and bumpy! LOL Took a first timer and she enjoyed it...mostly.

What field is your friend at? I am at Mallards Landing. I have been mowing the lawn and other chores today so no flying for me....hopefully tomorrow.

What field is your friend at? I am at Mallards Landing. I have been mowing the lawn and other chores today so no flying for me....hopefully tomorrow.

You're at Mallard's Landing!? We've been down there the past two weekends - last weekend showing my parents around and again this weekend showing my in-laws around. Neither set of parents has bit on the "You buy the house, and we'll live in the hangar" bit yet. ;)

GORGEOUS places down there. What's the story with the WWII era twin down there?

Well a $165 rental plane and a 75 cent coke. Went for a nice flight today with my wife and mom. Plane was a Cessna 172P with a nice KLN90 GPS and a few glide slopes. $115/hour with fuel so not a bad price. I departed 6A2 Griffin and went to 4A7 Tara field for a stop and go.

How difficult is it to get a plane down at Griffin? We just moved to Fayetteville and I haven't found anywhere around here to rent yet.

Welcome to POA! Nice write up. No Grass? That first pic looks like a grass runway no?

Welcome to PoA - stick around.

You say the 172 spoils you for the 150, but remember this: your 150 is a heckuva lot faster than a 172 someone else has booked first!

You're at Mallard's Landing!? We've been down there the past two weekends - last weekend showing my parents around and again this weekend showing my in-laws around. Neither set of parents has bit on the "You buy the house, and we'll live in the hangar" bit yet. ;)

GORGEOUS places down there. What's the story with the WWII era twin down there?

Thanks....I love the neighborhood and there are some nice planes here.

The twin is an A26 and it belongs to a friend of mine. It is the fire-bomber from the movie "Always". It does fly....but not right now, it is getting some TLC done to it.

I am right on the East side of the pool...I was mowing grass today (riding an orange Husqvarna)....I might have waved at you! :)

No I didn't land on the grass, just a low pass. I have however flown out of that strip for years. A good friend of my family owns it, has a Cessna 180. Look it up on Airport-Data.com it is 8GA6, S & S pvt strip. Glad to hear from the Georgia flyers here and everyone else. By the way, at 8GA6, the owner loves a good low pass so give him a buzz. So if you are in the area drop in. A B-52 did the other day and scared the hell out of everyone!

Looks like you had a good time. I drove down to Lenora field today after the EAA breakfast at LZU. Met some folks there that have a Cardinal and got to fly it and see what it was like. Definitely was a little bumpy today.

Not hard. I rent from Flyboys Flight Center at 6A2 http://flyboys.biz/. The website needs to be updated. They rent 172's and a Queen Air...yep, a freekin IO-720 Queen Air. Anyway, I got the rental checkout just before my first solo rental flight, same day. This is true for others based on experience.

Looks like you had a good time. I drove down to Lenora field today after the EAA breakfast at LZU. Met some folks there that have a Cardinal and got to fly it and see what it was like. Definitely was a little bumpy today.

A little! My friend also owns a BirdDog and a Cub. He took both up flying today for a birthday gift to some kids.

He said that on the way back in the cub he estimated his forward movement at around 35-40 mph and he was getting bounced all over the place!

While I was mowing I was watching the windsock, watching the planes take off and land, and was glad I had a strap on my hat as the wind blew it off a couple of times.

I knew it was definitely spirited up there today!

Very spirited, should have seen my landing in Griffin. I walked away but still wouldn't call it good. 6A2's RWY32 has a wind from the west that makes for some interesting mechanical turbulence enhanced approaches. You have to land long on an already short runway to come in over the worst of it. It was still a great day to fly!

Today will be even better Mike! I am looking forward to getting up late this afternoon for a nice evening flight.

Back