160 knot airplanes with 2 doors

Both of my Lances were faster than that. I got 155 on 15 gph on both, 77 and 78 straight tails with speed mods.

On my last trip in our T-Tail Lance, we took off with full tanks and about 450+ lbs of pilots/co-pilot. We cruised at 9500' (about 12000 DA) and according to the Aspen, we were doing 160-162 TAS at 14.8 GPH (FS450). I'm not aware that their are any speed mods on the plane.

How so ?

Neither of them is 'cheap' to keep.
True, neither is cheap to keep, and both have the same complexity, but generally speaking - Beech parts tend to cost more than Piper parts.

Personally, I'd rather have to deal with Piper than Beech when it comes to repair parts.

True, neither is cheap to keep, and both have the same complexity, but generally speaking - Beech parts tend to cost more than Piper parts.

Personally, I'd rather have to deal with Piper than Beech when it comes to repair parts.

Agreed. The only issue I know of with Piper is that "New" Piper is a different company and isn't always willing to work with the owners of older planes on parts. :mad2: You could go an entire life owning pipers and never have to deal with it, or you might need that one gooffy part on your first annual.

However the prices beat Beech prices.

What share of your aircraft maintenance budget, let's say over a period of 5 years, are manufacturer provided airframe parts that dont have a PMA alternative ?

Maybe I wasn't fair. 65% should be less than 16gph, maybe 14.

How much do you feel the speed mods give you ?
Not as much as the manufacturers say, but some. Lance #1 was a straight tail that had the spats, flap seals, flap hinge covers, aileron seals. Lance #2 had all that plus the LoPresti cowl and a fillet that (supposedly) smoothed out the root/fuselage transition. I bought the both airplanes with the mods installed. The mods improved slow speed handling quite a bit. The LoPresti cowl made engine temps much easier to manage (stock cowl has no cowl flaps) but at the price of monstrous complexity and a LOT of screws. I would say all told they added maybe 8 knots.

yeah, but Beeches just seem like they're designed and built so much better. Piper cheaps out on a lot of little parts that get annoying to keep repairing/replacing -- I'm talking hinges and brackets and that kind of thing.

Not as much as the manufacturers say, but some. Lance #1 was a straight tail that had the spats, flap seals, flap hinge covers, aileron seals. Lance #2 had all that plus the LoPresti cowl and a fillet that (supposedly) smoothed out the root/fuselage transition. I bought the both airplanes with the mods installed. The mods improved slow speed handling quite a bit. The LoPresti cowl made engine temps much easier to manage (stock cowl has no cowl flaps) but at the price of monstrous complexity and a LOT of screws. I would say all told they added maybe 8 knots.

I had those one the Cherokee I flew. Accounted for most of the added speed and low speed handling themselves. Everything else was marginal. Hornier(sp) stabilator tips were the next best thing. It was nice having more authority than you needed all the way to stall speed.

RV 10: 185kts cruise, 1100lbs useful load, two doors, more room in the cockpit than a 182, modern glass cockpit with synthetic vision and two axis autopilot. Puts all the certified airplanes to shame.

RV 10: 185kts cruise, 1100lbs useful load, two doors, more room in the cockpit than a 182, modern glass cockpit with synthetic vision and two axis autopilot. Puts all the certified airplanes to shame.

185 KTS might be a stretch... 185 MPH might be more accurate...

Other than that, you are correct.. Very room, comfortable, and easy-flying a/c. (and no messy RG mechanism to screw with)

Nope, my friend's 10 will do 185kts all day long. Lycon IO540 327hp.

Interesting. Any flutter issues with that speed? We get about 165KTS with the 'stock' IO540 260hp.

However that will require about the same fuel that my 310 uses for that speed. What's the most power someone has put in an RV?

I'm afraid to ask. I'm guessing there are some 400+hp models out there somewhere.

Interesting. Any flutter issues with that speed? We get about 165KTS with the 'stock' IO540 260hp.

No flutter, rock solid. You have to realize this guy has built several RVs and Harmon Rockets and his airplane is as straight and clean as you will ever see. There are a lot of little things that affect an RV speed wise and that is why some are faster than others. My RV7 is built very straight but it is 10-12kts slower than a friend's with the same horsepower. I figure it is probably in my wheelpants/gear fairings. Don

Back