15th of 56, KLAM

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Los Alamos Airport (KLAM)

Some of the most interesting research in the country is done a little over 50 miles north of Albuquerque (as the crow flies), in a location called "Los Alamos National Labs." It also happens to have some of the most hardcore restricted airspace in the state as well. R-5101 is always active, and covers from surface to 12,000 ft.

This airport is a "one way" airport. All landings happen on runway 27 and all takeoff occur on runway 9. There are 2 reasons for this. The amazing restricted airspace just off the south side of the runway, and the amazing mountains just off the west side of the airport. The landing/takeoff restrictions are not just suggestions, they are requirements. I have included a recording of the AWOS so that you can see what I mean.

The airport is settled on top of a peak, and it looks like a majestic battleship in the middle of the forested mountains around it. There are a few very specific traffic calls that people generally make to announce their position when coming in to the airport from the south. The first is over Cochiti Lake. This is most recognizable by the giant dam along its southern edge. The next is "East of the Radio Telescope" (pictured below). This is a very obvious checkpoint, and it lets others know that you are coming pretty close to the airport.

Next up is "Y-Junction" or "Y-Intersection." This is where the Rio Grande meets another dry river and makes a very obvious Y in the landscape. This is the point where you want to turn towards the runway, as you'll be clear of the restricted airspace at this point. You will sometimes hear people call "Over White Rock" or "Baseball Fields Inbound," but they are all right around the same area as the "Y-Junction" anyways.

Upon landing at Los Alamos, you'll find that there is not much in the way of transient parking spaces available. Many people commute from elsewhere to this airport every day so parking is usually taken most of the day. There is no "FBO" per se, but there is a little lobby where you can meet people if you need to. When I was there today, the doors were all locked and there was no way into the lobby, so I had to hoof it around to the vehicle gate to get out.

This airport is a really neat place to go when you want to see some great landscape and learn some new inbound/outbound procedures, but unless you really have a reason to come here, I would avoid it. There are a lot of hassles to deal with and it is a VERY busy airport during rush hour. There is no fuel available.

Audio:
1) Los Alamos Automated Weather Observation

Videos:
1) Approach and Landing, Runway 27

Pictures:
1) Los Alamos Airport Information Sign
2) My Plane sitting on the ramp at Los Alamos
3) Radio Telescope checkpoint

LOS ALAMOS AIRPORT QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 7171 Ft
Runways 9/27: 5550'x113ft, Asphalt in good Condition
AWOS: 124.175
UNICOM: 123.0
Nick's NOTAMS: Learn the traffic callouts. Its what everyone uses and it makes it easier to find traffic. USE LANDING LIGHT and RADIO!! ONE WAY IN AND ONE WAY OUT.

Attachments

• KLAMAWOS.wav
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • KLAM.jpg
    KLAM.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 50
  • PlaneOnRampKLAM.JPG
    PlaneOnRampKLAM.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 38
  • RadioTelescope.JPG
    RadioTelescope.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
KLAM is an interesting airport. I have to give a plug to the airport manager who came in from home and gave me a lot of help one night last year. :yes:

Nice report Nick. BTW how do you film the landings are you holding the camcorder or do you place it up on the glare shield? The camera was clearly pointed downward. I thought holy crap he is headed down at a 45+ degree angle but then I caught the PAPI's and you were right on. Again nice reoprt. Just curious how long did you or the plane glow after you got home?:rolleyes:

AdamZ said:
Nice report Nick. BTW how do you film the landings are you holding the camcorder or do you place it up on the glare shield? The camera was clearly pointed downward. I thought holy crap he is headed down at a 45+ degree angle but then I caught the PAPI's and you were right on. Again nice reoprt. Just curious how long did you or the plane glow after you got home?:rolleyes:

LOL - yeah, I set it on the glaresheild. I think the camera might have been zoomed in a bit too, because something definitely looks weird there.

I have no geiger counter, but I definitely feel radiation flowing through my veins :D

Oops - forgot the picture of the radio telescope. Added.

SkyHog said:
Los Alamos Airport (KLAM)

Some of the most interesting research in the country is done a little over 50 miles north of Albuquerque (as the crow flies), in a location called "Los Alamos National Labs."

There is some pretty interesting stuff done right in ALbuquerque too. At the Air Force Weapons Lab and at Sandia. I worked at AFWL doing large space structure instrumentation for spaced based lasers in the middle 80's cool stuff!!. We had a very large laser beam expander that faced the departure end of the runway. Whenever we were doing telemetry tests (not involving lasing) and the beamexpander was visible (looks like a big telescope) the pilots would swear we had lased them.

smigaldi said:
There is some pretty interesting stuff done right in ALbuquerque too. At the Air Force Weapons Lab and at Sandia. I worked at AFWL doing large space structure instrumentation for spaced based lasers in the middle 80's cool stuff!!. We had a very large laser beam expander that faced the departure end of the runway. Whenever we were doing telemetry tests (not involving lasing) and the beamexpander was visible (looks like a big telescope) the pilots would swear we had lased them.

That sounds really cool. Did you work for AFWL when it was called Philips Labs, or after the name change? That whole area down by the control tower on base is all built up and secure now. The coolest stuff on base can be seen looking at satellite photos. Really cool stuff too.

Well, not quite a year after Nick's post, I made my first trip to Los Alamos. For a weekend getaway, there aren't many places where you can ski and hike in the same place on the same day, but Los Alamos is one of them.

Tha Pajarito ski area is about a 15 minute drive from the airport. While it's certainly no Vail, it offers decent uncrowded skiing for $43 a day It is a mecca for intermediates, but there's enough advanced stuff to get some exercise. Also nearby are the trails of Bandelier National Monument and the Jemez National Forest. Even on a 35 degree January day, the lower elevation trails are clear of snow and ice, and it's warm enough in the New Mexico sun to be out without a jacket and feel hot. Note that "lower elevation" is relative, as the airport and town are at about 7000' and skiing starts at 9.

Found a few good places to eat in town: the Central St Grill and the Something-or-ther Bistro were good, and the coffee/bagel place in town is excellent. There are also the historical and science museums, interesting for an hour or two, and best of all free.

Beautiful flying around there on a smooth day. Just to the northwest is the Ghost Ranch, of Georgia O'Keefe fame. Worth a side trip if yoiu have more than a day in the area.

LAM is a nice GA airport. While often unattended, the terminal is accesible to pilots 24 hours a day, via a side door with a combo lock. The code is the first 3 digits of the AWOS frequency. There's a Budget counter in the terminal staffed 7 days, with plenty of cars on site. Self-serve fuel is cheap by New Mexico standards, which of course doesn't mean much of a bargain. Plenty of transient tie-downs when I was there.

Jon

Back