14 year old steals Cessna

how much do you wanna bet the plane engine died because it was out of fuel??

Stupid kid

NickDBrennan said:
how much do you wanna bet the plane engine died because it was out of fuel??

Stupid kid

Or he thought he was pulling the throttle and pulled the mixture. Kid's got a powerful guardian angel, that's for sure.

"Walker said the 1981 Cessna Two, valued at $35,000, has significant structural damaged."

To bad he wasn't flying a Cessna One, he'd have probably made it. Unless I'm mistaken the Two requires an endorsement and the Three requires a type rating.

Gees. Who's more stupid, the kid or the media?

Who is the FAA investigating?

Can the kid log the flight time? It would make a pretty interesting first log book entry.

Len

Gezz In this day & age, there are still people leaving keys in planes?

Jiminy christmas.

Jeff Oslick said:
But, evidently, MS-Flight Sim must be a better training aid than most of us thought.

Foggy memory, but:

A few years back two teenagers stole a C172(?) in France(?) and flew it to Germany(?). The police arrested the two after they landed and immediately started the interrogation, quickly learning that neither teenager had a pilot license nor had ever taken a lesson. When asked where they learned to fly, the teenagers said, "MS Flight Simulator, but that (pointing to the C172) was a lot easier."

Ed Guthrie said:
Foggy memory, but:

A few years back two teenagers stole a C172(?) in France(?) and flew it to Germany(?). The police arrested the two after they landed and immediately started the interrogation, quickly learning that neither teenager had a pilot license nor had ever taken a lesson. When asked where they learned to fly, the teenagers said, "MS Flight Simulator, but that (pointing to the C172) was a lot easier."

It IS a lot easier. If you can fly MSFS, you can handle the mechanics of flying the plane. Heck, in MSFS 2004, in the virtual cockpit view, the layout of the Skyhawk panel nearly duplicates the real thing, so it's quite useful for practice. I wish I could find a good Tiger model.

Joe Williams said:
the layout of the Skyhawk panel nearly duplicates the real thing, so it's quite useful for practice. I wish I could find a good Tiger model.

I think someone on the Grumman Gang created a Tiger for MSFS. I'll check.

What does this do if anything to his certificate attempts later in life if he decides to do it the usual method? I am thinking no detriment.

Really? I've been desperately searching for a Tiger model but haven't found one. The only one on Flightsim.com has terrible flight characteristics and rivets on the wings!! (Obviously taken from another model).

Let'sgoflying! said:
What does this do if anything to his certificate attempts later in life if he decides to do it the usual method? I am thinking no detriment.

All depends on whether or not the FAA/TSA wish to push the aviation security threat button.

Eamon said:
Gezz In this day & age, there are still people leaving keys in planes?

Jiminy christmas.

Exactly what I was thinking. Watch for new rules to "protect" us. From ourselves.

The sad part about the legalities.... because of the keys if for no other reason, if the kid had gotten injured and/or hurt someone else? They'd have probably won the law suit against the plane owner!

And I've seen more than one FBO that at least occasionally still leaves keys in airplanes (bad idea!).

Len Lanetti said:
Who is the FAA investigating?
The kid, for violations of:

61.3(a)
61.3(c)
61.23(a)
61.56(c)

...just for starters, and maybe 91.103, too, especially if he didn't check the weather or runway length and aircraft performance charts.

Can the kid log the flight time?
Yes, as 61.51 does not require a rating to log PIC time as sole occupant.

It would make a pretty interesting first log book entry.
Aye, laddy, it would. One more bounce and he'd have been 61.57 night-current for passengers, too.

wsuffa said:
Exactly what I was thinking. Watch for new rules to "protect" us. From ourselves.
Good thing we're selling the Cougar -- no keys needed -- I'd hate to have that "liability."

Ron Levy said:
Good thing we're selling the Cougar -- no keys needed -- I'd hate to have that "liability."

The New Pipers are like that... I don't think it's a good idea

Ron Levy said:
The kid, for violations of:

61.3(a)
61.3(c)
61.23(a)
61.56(c)

...just for starters, and maybe 91.103, too, especially if he didn't check the weather or runway length and aircraft performance charts.

Yes, as 61.51 does not require a rating to log PIC time as sole occupant.

Aye, laddy, it would. One more bounce and he'd have been 61.57 night-current for passengers, too.

They can investigate, but can they really do anything to him?

Joe Williams said:
The New Pipers are like that... I don't think it's a good idea

Yeah, but the New Pipers do have an ok door lock. If you can get in the door of any plane, and know anything about how a starter switch is wired, it's pretty simple to hotwire.

Jeff

Anthony said:
I think someone on the Grumman Gang created a Tiger for MSFS. I'll check.

Where can you get a good Piper Cherokee, Archer, Arrow, Cherokee Six, etc? I see them on the "ramp" in MS Flight Sim, but other than the Cub, they aren't present... why!? I've not been able to find a freeware one. Anybody know of a source?

Troy Whistman said:
Where can you get a good Piper Cherokee, Archer, Arrow, Cherokee Six, etc? I see them on the "ramp" in MS Flight Sim, but other than the Cub, they aren't present... why!? I've not been able to find a freeware one. Anybody know of a source?

Freeware? No. But Dreamfleet's airplanes are the next best thing to being there, and they have a wonderful Archer for a good price

Joe Williams said:
They can investigate, but can they really do anything to him?
Yes. Absent a certificate to revoke, they can levy civil penalties (essentially, monetary fines) against the individual, and if he's too young to be legally responsible himself, collect them from his legal guardians (just like you can collect from the parents of the kid who put a baseball through your window). There are even laws under which a person may be jailed for flying without a license, although I've never heard of it being done. In addition to what the FAA can do, there are state criminal charges such as Grand Theft and Reckless Endangerment (both felonies) which could be brought and which could result in jailing or juvenile detention.

Several years ago, I worked at a flying club which left the keys, with tags on them featuring the corresponding N #'s, in an outer office, which was unlocked becuase no one even bothered to put new glass in the broken window for the longest time. Also... The people at the Ops Desk right by our office weren't often there. So, anyone could've walked in, likely not been stopped, grabbed the keys and gone to the ramp for the airplane. Most of the airplanes were even unlocked to begin with!

Troy Whistman said:

Not freeware but worth the price. Extremely well detailed and accurate. I have the Archer

http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/buscador.php3?categoria=2

Let'sgoflying! said:

I am thinking it doesn't do much to prove good judgement. So he will have to overcome that hurdle in spades with his CFI. Of course, if he doesn't do it until he is 50....

-Skip

Back