13th of 56, KSKX

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Taos Regional Airport (KSKX)

While this is the first time I have visited this airport since November 1st (the day that I started this great adventure), this is actually only the second time I have been to this airport total since I got my PPL. I love this place. Even in the middle of the summer, the temperature feels cooler in Taos than it does in Albuquerque.

Taos is known as being a big skiing area, which is why, I'm guessing, that the airport's code is SKX while the VOR is TAS. Either way, this is a really neat airport, and all of the buildings really have the New Mexico feel to them. People working at Taos Aviation Services, the only FBO on field, are really nice and willing to talk aviation with people (at least with me).

The fuel price out of the truck is a bit high at $4.05, but there is a self serve pump that is asking for $3.75 also (which is also a bit high). The self serve fuel area is nice and easy to find, and the people at Taos Aviation were willing to help with directions on using the pump. All in all, they know customer service there.

The scenery around Taos is gorgeous. Directly to the east of the airport is the Taos World Heritage Site, and on the sectional, a note exists that says "Due to National Welfare, pilots are requested to avoid flights BLW 2000' AGL over the Taos World Heritage Site and the Blue Lake Wilderness Area. Note: The minimum alt over Taos Pueblo is 9300' MSl," which I assume is for people who have forgotten what the fancy blue line with dots around it means.

Because of the mountains in the area, trying to visually identify the airport from the Taos VOR is impossible (at least to me), so I would strongly suggest using pilotage, dead reckoning, or GPS to find the airport from the VOR if that is your plan. Directly to the west of the airport is the Rio Grande river, and one of the deepest gorges I've ever seen in New Mexico so far. This definitely makes an easy path to the airport from either the north or the south, as you can visually identify the gorge from miles away.

This airport is at a very high altitude, and in the summer months, Density Altitute gets VERY high. Starting at 7091ft is pretty rough during a standard day, but in the summer, expect to see DAs well above ceiling altitudes of many piston single aircraft. The runway is plenty long, however, at just under 6000ft long.

All of my pictures didn't turn out because I landed into the sun. My video camera's battery died, so I did not get any video. I will have to get pictures at a later date when I fly into this place again.

TAOS REGIONAL QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 7091 Ft
Runways 4/22: 5798'x75ft, Asphalt in good Condition
AWOS: 132.975
UNICOM: 122.8
Nick's NOTAMS: NONE

Thanks again nick. And for crying out loud, get a new avatar! That thing about made me dizzy!:)

SkyHog said:
Taos Regional Airport (KSKX)

All of my pictures didn't turn out because I landed into the sun. My video camera's battery died, so I did not get any video. I will have to get pictures at a later date when I fly into this place again.

Nick We're all sick of your whining. " my battery died" " the sun was in my eyes" Look NO PHOTOS = NO CONFIRMATION Ya have to go back and do it again. When ya get it right and give us confirmation you can add it to your list. sheesh :rofl:

nice post buddy.

AdamZ said:
Nick We're all sick of your whining. " my battery died" " the sun was in my eyes" Look NO PHOTOS = NO CONFIRMATION Ya have to go back and do it again. When ya get it right and give us confirmation you can add it to your list. sheesh :rofl:

nice post buddy.
Thanks, Adam. I was waiting for someone to chime in about Nick and his camera. See there, Nick, it's not just me. Adam, at least Nick knows how to fly the damn plane.

Nick, just be glad a working camera is not part of the required equipment list...you'd nevah leave the ground if were.:)

Back