135 hour requirements

jaybee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jaybee
I have a job offer that I can take upon reaching 135.243(b) mins, which in my case would be 500 Total, 100 XC and 25 Night hours.

Question is - are those PIC hours or just total hours ?

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (a) of this section, no certificate holder may use a person, nor may any person serve, as pilot in command of an aircraft under VFR unless that person—

(1) Holds at least a commercial pilot certificate with appropriate category and class ratings and, if required, an appropriate type rating for that aircraft; and

(2) Has had at least 500 hours time as a pilot, including at least 100 hours of cross-country flight time, at least 25 hours of which were at night; and

(3) For an airplane, holds an instrument rating or an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category rating; or

(4) For helicopter operations conducted VFR over-the-top, holds a helicopter instrument rating, or an airline transport pilot certificate with a category and class rating for that aircraft, not limited to VFR.

Those are 135 VFR requirements. Its total hours. Usually companies will toss in other requirements like PIC or multi time etc.

rereading that again, is the 25 hours just night hours or are they 25 hours of XC at night ?
i'm leaning to the latter, my reading comprehension is failing today !
and thanks !

That is correct. 25 night XC. Remember that you can count point to point for your night XC, all XC for part 135 you count point to point actually.

For airplane you pretty much need an instrument rating from what I understand. I'm dual rated going after a VFR helicopter job, though I have my instrument rating. Glad I did my instrument training at night now, helped knock out some of those night xc hours.

Not many places hire people to be VFR-only, single-engine 135 pilots. If you're in that 500-1200 range, you are more likely to get hired as a co-pilot on the twins than a VFR-only captain on singles. And for that, you'll need your ME rating.

Shuffling tourists to Mackinac island ?

What are some different places that hire 135 VFR? That would be a sweet gig.

If you're into going to the Caribbean there are a lot of 135 outfits there. It may be difficult tho because they definitely give priority to locals and they all fly multiengine. If you want to relocate to the NE there are a lot of seasonal gigs flying to Nantucket, Block Island, and Martha's Vineyard. Most of them fly Cherokee 6's and bigger Cessna singles.

What are some different places that hire 135 VFR? That would be a sweet gig.

http://www.gtaair.com/www/index.php

This outfit has some pilots that are VFR restricted until they reach their IFR ops requirements (or at least have had that in the past). I understand these pilots are in the Bonanzas. They fly between Texas cities big and not so big.

I was restricted to VFR ops for the first year of charter flying. Flew ME VFR for a few hundred hours until I had the hours to qualify for IFR. Insurance requirements are likely to be more restrictive than the FAA.

Back