$13 avgas in the US

The sky isn't falling.

I doubt it'll get that bad, if it did they would have a hard time selling the stuff, and if they can't sell it they gotta lower the prices.

Those $8+ prices are from big city FBO's that cater to jets, have expensive fancy facilities, lots of staff and don't want GA piston aircraft that take relatively small amounts of fuel taking up ramp space. A lot of them have ramp fees north of $65.

Those $8+ prices are from big city FBO's that cater to jets, have expensive fancy facilities, lots of staff and don't want GA piston aircraft that take relatively small amounts of fuel taking up ramp space. A lot of them have ramp fees north of $65.
:yeahthat:
I wonder if in many cases it's "...big city FBO's that have to pay a lot of rent to be where they are." I've always wondered how FBO numbers work.

The almost $13 price is in Alaska. Why are we surprised? Transportation costs must be ridiculous. I've paid $12/gallon in CYYT - Newfoundland. Same deal.

The almost $13 price is in Alaska. Why are we surprised? Transportation costs must be ridiculous. I've paid $12/gallon in CYYT - Newfoundland. Same deal.

Yeah, gallon of milk there is probably $13 also!

You're not paying $13 for the gas, you're paying 13 for "shipping"

Just like KLAS gas, you're paying for the luxury.

You're not paying $13 for the gas, you're paying 13 for "shipping"

Just like KLAS gas, you're paying for the luxury.

Well, you're always paying for shipping to some degree. You are correct.

The bigger scandal to me regards the lines where the average cost for a region is $5.xx, but the high for the region is $9.xx. Some FBO somewhere is is just *gouging* unwary pilots that don't/can't shop around on fuel prices.

The bigger scandal to me regards the lines where the average cost for a region is $5.xx, but the high for the region is $9.xx. Some FBO somewhere is is just *gouging* unwary pilots that don't/can't shop around on fuel prices.

It ain't that hard to find fuel prices, heck it's easier to find FBO prices, than car fuel prices.

If you're based at a field where your only option is over priced FBO fuel, I'd get/make my own little 100gal or so tank get my own go juice and hide it in my hangar, been there done that, F'em.

AirNav is your friend.

Click on the "Plan a Flight With Fuel Stops". Put in destination, and you can plan for the cheap fuel prices, including mogas. I like the "Plan My Own Route" feature. They you can keep flying along the route and stop only when you need fuel.

http://www.airnav.com/fuel/

I've never found the 9.xx outlier to be anywhere but the busy airport in what is otherwise a sparse area. I'd expect all costs to rise in the population center, to match increased rents, etc.

If North Banjoslap Municipal is $5.xx and South Banjoslap is $9.xx, then yes, I'd make a face -- but I haven't seen that in the wild.

The sky isn't falling.

I doubt it'll get that bad, if it did they would have a hard time selling the stuff, and if they can't sell it they gotta lower the prices.

If they can't sell it at a price that delivers a desired ROI, they also have the option of not providing any more of it. Avgas is a headache for the refineries any way.

Most of the large FBOs add in part of the employee salarys,to the price of avgas. On my trip to Alaska most costly fuel was in Canada averaged over $8 a gal. Stay away from major cities,FBOs and you should be fine. Air na is your friend.

Only place I see AVGAS approach $10 is at commercial airports (KIAD here was like $9 last I checked).

Meanwhile, VKX sells it for $5.13 and even at GAI (where I fly now) where they have a lot of jet traffic, it's only like $6.

Prices should be going down right now because the price of oil is dropping worldwide as the dollar strengthens against other currencies and consumption is down.

:yeahthat:
I wonder if in many cases it's "...big city FBO's that have to pay a lot of rent to be where they are." I've always wondered how FBO numbers work.

The FBO in Jackson Hole Wy pays over 1 million a year to the airport board just to do business here........:hairraise:....:yikes:......

They just raised to price of 100LLL last month .. First rate hike in 10 years..The owner /operator of the FBO is a pilot and feels the pain of high prices...:yes:

My guess is these high end FBOs don't want to have low class fuel price checking pilots eating their free cookies. Cluttering the ramp with their old junk airplanes. Not pricing what the market will bear but pricing to keep low end of the market away.

Back