12 Seconds to Pattern Altitude

I'm calling BS on that post. Wishing any pilot to "become an NTSB reports" is over the top. You of all people should know that.

There's no Dusty Springfield in that post. Just speculation based on behavior.

I'm calling BS on that post. Wishing any pilot to become an accident is over the top and you of all people should know that.

Where did I say anything of that sort?

I didn't express a desire for him to end up that way, and hope he doesn't. I just said that when it happens, it won't be one of those situations where we say "This was a good, safe pilot, I wonder what went wrong."

Seriously? Are you that stupid not to see the problem with that statement?

Well done. You highlighted my prediction which has no sense of desire in it, and then called me stupid for it.

Sigh.

Seriously? Are you that stupid not to see the problem with that statement?

If I rag about playing Russian Roulette all the time, and Ted says, "well, when Ed finally kills himself playing Russian Roulette...." how in the blue hell is that wishing? It's simply stating, "Ed's doing something stupid, and here's evidence of him doing so."

You know, something negative can actually be said about an RV, without it being malicious. I know, p.3 of the build kit says that this is impossible, but it isn't.

Well done. You highlighted my prediction which has no sense of desire in it, and then called me stupid for it.

Sigh.

I see your statement as a "desire" for Jay to become an NTSB report as in "when" not 'if".

It crosses the line for me to have pilots "hoping" or "desiring" another pilot be killed.

Last edited:
Geico,

When=/=want

I'm not going to go so far as to predict he will crash (though he did have me worried for a while) but I just am not seeing any desire in Ted's statement.

:yes:
Geico,

When=/=want

I'm not going to go so far as to predict he will crash (though he did have me worried for a while) but I just am not seeing any desire in Ted's statement.

I certainly could be misreading it. If so I apologize.

I don't mind a spirited debate in POAs education about experimentals, but it crosses the line for me when we even hint about someone dying. I've had enough friends die or injured in plane wrecks. It is bad mojo to even talk about it, IMHO.

Ted, I will take your word that you did not intend for your statement to mean that, but it is still way to close... and over the line for me. :yes:

Last edited:

I don't mind a spirited debate in POAs education about experimentals, but it crosses the line for me when we even hint about someone dying. I've had enough friends die or injured in plane wrecks.

You have misread. Apology accepted. Let's move on.

You have misread. Apology accepted. Let's move on.

After I clean my glasses like Bart wanted me to. :yes:

;)

Lets not push the Jay bashing too far. Jay is a good guy who loves his new -8a. He is finding out what a high performance plane is and loving ever minute of it.

Now where did I put that theme to Top Gun.

Last edited:

I don't mind a spirited debate in POAs education about experimentals, but it crosses the line for me when we even hint about someone dying. I've had enough friends die or injured in plane wrecks.

Ted, I will take your word that you did not intend for your statement to mean that, but it is still way to close... and over the line for me. :yes:

Only because it was said about an RV owner, if it was myself in a Comanche, or someone in a 172, or Bonanza, you wouldn't have said word one. Please wash thoroughly after going to the beach.

I don't think so...Jay still thinks we just don't get it.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=829705#post829705

Some posters appear to have assumed Jay's misunderstanding of the physics and aerodynamics was due to a potentially fatal personality flaw. It seemed to me to devolve quite quickly into personal insults of his character, well outside any historical evidence.

At this point it seems to have become important to some to prove their original prognosis by looking for any possible confirming evidence, where ever it may appear. Mutual antagonism seems to have settled in. Personally, I find that nursing those kinds of feelings distracts from the more enjoyable aspects of life.

;)

Lets not push the Jay bashing too far. Jay is a good guy who loved his new -8a. He is finding out what a high performance plane is and loving ever minute of it.

Whadddya mean by "loved"? Are you wishing he crashes and assuming something happened and it is now past tense?

Crossing the line!!!

Whadddya mean by "loved"? Are you wishing he crashes and assuming something happened and it is now past tense?

Crossing the line!!!

:eek:

Okay, you got me there. Maybe Jay should not fly for a week or two and let this bad mojo blow over.

Seriously! Are there any superstitious exorcists in the house? :rofl:

I don't mind a spirited debate in POAs education about experimentals, but it crosses the line for me when we even hint about someone dying. I've had enough friends die or injured in plane wrecks. It is bad mojo to even talk about it, IMHO.

I think the only reason you care about this, is because he is flying an experimental.

We've all seen people log on here, display hazardous attitudes and then inevitably folks start to say "oh boy, this guy is an NTSB report waiting to happen". And nobody interprets this as "wishing" they crash and burn. Not even close.

I have no problem with doing zoom climbs... aerobatics, what have you. Stuff like that is fun and I like to have fun :) What got Jay in trouble was his continued insistence that a zoom climb was a safer method of departing an airport than a regular climbout, despite lots of evidence to the contrary. I can see why Ted thought he was displaying hazardous attitudes and a lack of understanding.

On a separate note, there seems to be a personality type/attitude that people similar to the OP exhibit that that throws up some sort of barrier for communication.

I am going thru it with another person right now that has had some success (financial) in life and based upon there good fortune/luck to be at the right place at the right time, they struggle with any sort of self-awareness and introspection.

Just to toss some gas on a fire, here are the attributes that cause this behavior:

• Self Employed
  • Some level of success, financially
  • Little or no college education
  • Listen to Rush Limbaugh / Fox News

I am going to suggest the Self Employed manifests in that they were successful based upon their own decisions/choices and didn't seek collaboration. Missed out on the forced collaboration of large organizations and the discipline of learning that comes from higher education. The Fox News part is that they only seek information that reinforces their beliefs.

Likely a de-rail of the thread, but it seems to be an attitude that I can identify.

I am going thru it with another person right now that has had some success (financial) in life and based upon there good fortune/luck to be at the right place at the right time,

Are you a jealous speechwriter?

"If you've got a business – you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."

I am going to suggest the Self Employed manifests in that they were successful based upon their own decisions/choices and not their need for collaboration with anyone, or any group. They luckily missed out on the forced collaboration of large organizations and the indoctrination that comes from higher education. The Fox News part is that they only seek information that "fair and balanced" . :D

FIFY ;)

Last edited:
On a separate note, there seems to be a personality type/attitude that people similar to the OP exhibit that that throws up some sort of barrier for communication.

I am going thru it with another person right now that has had some success (financial) in life and based upon there good fortune/luck to be at the right place at the right time, they struggle with any sort of self-awareness and introspection.

Just to toss some gas on a fire, here are the attributes that cause this behavior:

• Self Employed
I am going to suggest the Self Employed manifests in that they were successful based upon their own decisions/choices and didn't seek collaboration. Missed out on the forced collaboration of large organizations and the discipline of learning that comes from higher education. The Fox News part is that they only seek information that reinforces their beliefs.

Likely a de-rail of the thread, but it seems to be an attitude that I can identify.

Ha ha. You forgot 'from TX'. :D Remind you of anyone?

33xeidt.jpg

• Self Employed

picard_facepalm-s490x324-70977.jpg

indoctrination that comes from higher education. FIFY ;)

Yes, I guess science and facts do threaten certain people. Or maybe that's just that commie left-wing indoctrination talking. Guess I shoulda gone to a private college whose main text book allows selling your daughter as a sex slave, and bashing babies against rocks....as in a good Christchin' school. ;)

Well, the death spiral into the Spin Zone for this rejuvenated thread didn't take long. :goofy:

Cheers

Last edited:
Just when I thought this thread hit the serviceable ceiling of stupid, it went turbocharged.

:eek:

Okay, you got me there. Maybe Jay should not fly for a week or two and let this bad mojo blow over.

Seriously! Are there any superstitious exorcists in the house? :rofl:

Wow! I go away for a couple of months, and you guys are STILL arguing about me?

Garsh. I'm touched! :)

What's really amazing is how this group's own Ricky Preston has started posting here what I post "over there" -- and now he's posting there what I post here!

Who knew I was so important in his life? Why, we've never even held hands! lol!

So it goes. Meanwhile, Mary and I have put another 50 hours on Amelia since I was here last, some of it upside down. Yikes! We've now even done zoom climbs that (*gasp*) end in a roll! (No, nannies, not while departing an airport. Wouldn't want y'all thinking we were "unsafe"...lol!)

Here's our latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk-guoHYzJY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

We're flying every day or two, to all points South of Dallas, from Padre Island to New Orleans -- and having the time of our lives! I'm sure it must drive guys like Ted crazy, to learn that our unblemished flying records have now entered their 21st year, but there you have it.

Wait! Maybe ol' Morbid Ted can start a countdown, ala CNN? "Jay's flying, Day 7,665..."? ROFLMAO!

BTW: In case you're wondering what I've been up to (and it sure seems like a lot of people here are obsessed with what I do!), I've got the Stearman Room ripped apart, ready for a complete renovation. Here's what it looked like today:

bugaqe3u.jpg

And we break ground on a new addition on 12/1. What can I say -- life is good! ;)

Be safe. We'll see ya at the next fly-in...

--
Jay Honeck
Port Aransas, TX
Van's RV-8A N14EG
http://www.AmeliasLanding.com
(2013 was our 31st consecutive year at OSH!)

Seriously? Taking a comment out of context in another forum and posting it here?

Not out of context, he was directly referring to his treatment by POA. I guess I've just had enough of Honeck's idiotic whining and buffoonery and he dragged me down to his own level.

Great thread.

However, there's absolutely nothing remotely funny about Hitler's last moments in his bunker in Berlin. ;)

Then again, it was brought to my attention that I do, in fact, fly a turd with wings, barely able to get a poop out in ground effect. :yikes:

Darn laws of physics!

BTW, watching that video had me laughing out loud. I admire clever people taking the time to produce things like this - thanks!

I can see why Ted thought he was displaying hazardous attitudes and a lack of understanding.

Because he was and still does. :yes:

Yes, I guess science and facts do threaten certain people. Or maybe that's just that commie left-wing indoctrination talking. Guess I shoulda gone to a private college whose main text book allows selling your daughter as a sex slave, and bashing babies against rocks....as in a good Christchin' school. ;)

So how is that college education work out for ya? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love science and facts, what is funny is how the over educated college boys try go apply them to every day life, and fail.

So how's that whole global warming thing working out for ya? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Funny how college educated people try and feel superior over people who didn't go to college.

BTW, I finished the college education I set my goals on. ;)

Unless you hold a PhD in every disapline offered at the university you attended you are a condescending underachieving loud mouth failure.

Last edited:
Are you a jealous speechwriter?

"If you've got a business – you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."

It really does take some element of luck - right place at the right time. Granted most folks who are very successful spent much of their life at the wrong place at the wrong time and persisted on anyways. Eventually things turned out.

As to the comment above implying that those who are self taught or self employed aren't discliplined is total crap. When you are your own boss it takes an enormous amount of discipline to end up succeeding.

As to the comment above implying that those who are self taught or self employed aren't discliplined is total crap. When you are your own boss it takes an enormous amount of discipline to end up succeeding.

I am living proof of that statement... ;):)

I am living proof of that statement... ;):)

But, but, but, you teach those college boys! :rofl::rofl::rofl: :eek: How could a self starter, self employed, successful person that watches FOX News ever become a tenured professor? :rofl:

This has turned out to be one of the most ironic threads in POA history. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
I see your statement as a "desire" for Jay to become an NTSB report as in "when" not 'if".

It crosses the line for me to have pilots "hoping" or "desiring" another pilot be killed.

"Lighten up, Francis." - Sgt. Hulka

Not out of context, he was directly referring to his treatment by POA. I guess I've just had enough of Honeck's idiotic whining and buffoonery and he dragged me down to his own level.

Be a man and stand up right. Posting quotes out of context is no different than grade school play ground "he said, she said" BS. You should be ashamed of yourself. Seriously, grow a set dude.

Jay is a shining example of a pilot looking at all options, weighing those options, deciding on a very capable airplane, and is now enjoying his decisions. He simply wants to share his experience! When he comes back and tried to share his experiences POA goes nuts. Surprise? :no:

Last edited:
Back