11.4 in the 182RG

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
I was able (thanks to a late-night flight with the CFI) to complete the 5 hr checkout in the local FBO's 182RG. I really had to cram it in so we could take the plane to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, TN (KGKT) for the weekend for my cousin's wedding. I completed the required hours (5.4 actually) Thursday night and had to wait around for the chief pilot to do the check-ride with me Friday. We went out and did some of the standard stuff - steep turns, stalls, slow flight, emerg procedures, etc. as well as something new -- we did unusual attitudes as normal - head down, eyes closed, now recover - to get my inner ear all screwed up. We then did something very interesting and eye-opening. He had me keep my head down, eyes closed, but this time 'I' had the controls. He asked me to do a turn to the right, turn to the left, then look up. We were in a 30* nose down, 45*bank left turn!! Quick recovery back to level, then we did it again. Nearly same result this time! It was eye opening to see exactly how easily you can get screwed up if you lost all instruments in the soup! After an hour of maneuvers and a few landings (including engine-out), he signed me off to take the plane. My wife was waiting, so we threw our bags in the plane while they refueled the plane and departed KAMW for KMUT to pick up my parents.

At KMUT, we threw the new bags in the plane, filed for KGKT and departed while the cabin was still warm. Picked up IFR clearance from MLI approach and we were on our way via V-airways for the entire route. Uneventful flight down with the only clouds being an overcast under us from Louisville to just north of Knoxville. Once over the 'ridge' north of TYS, we were given descent down to 3000 which got us set up for the VOR/DME approach into GKT. It was severe clear, but the approach was good to have to line us up with the runway - landing at unfamiliar airport at night. Squeaker landing, taxi to the closed FBO, and we load up the rental car left for us by Enterprise. 3:15 enroute. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5274S/history/20071214/2159Z/KMUT/KGKT

Great wedding in the mountains on Saturday. Spent some time with the family and ate some great food. Unfortunately, Rachel got a bit of the flu that I had been fighting earlier in the week and did NOT feel like getting into an airplane early Sunday morning. We waited around until around 1pm Sunday and decided to give it a go. Airmets for turbulence along our route below 10k, so we filed for 10k to get as far away from it as possible. Rough departure out of GKT until we got in the clouds around 4800'. On top in smooth air at 6500' and we went on up to 10k. Our slight tailwind on the way down had grown into a stiff headwind for the return trip. The 3:15 trip down took us nearly 5hrs on the way back. It was smooth the whole way, and after getting away from the overcast layer under us, we picked up a VFR-on-top clearance and went direct via the 396. Back with MLI, we were given vectors for the ILS into MUT. In the soup at 3000' and broke out underneath at ~500'AGL in the dark.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5274S/history/20071216/1915Z/KGKT/KMUT

I was supposed to have the plane back to AMW Sunday evening, as someone had it scheduled Monday 7:30am. By the time we got on the ground at MUT, AMW was reporting 300-400' OVC with 2mi vis. I hadn't flown the plane very much, and going to AMW, I would be without my IR father in the right seat to help tune radios, etc., so I wasn't really comfortable departing for the quick flight back up to AMW. I called the FBO and got the phone number of the next renter and called to tell him the story. I told him I would watch the weather that night, and if an opportunity opened up, I would get the plane back up there as quickly as possible. By 10pm, the 3-400' OVC had changed to 100' OVC, 1 1/2mi vis in freezing fog. OK.. Looks like we'll be sleeping in MUT tonight! Got up at 5am and AMW was reporting 15k' OVC, 4mi vis. Got Rachel out of bed, got my dad up and filed for AMW. Got to the airport, preflighted, and departed in 300' OVC, 2mi VIS. Yes, I know, NOT good weather, especially since I didn't want to try it the night before, but it was still above minimums, I had radios tuned for a quick turn-around if necessary, and it is more likely for the engine NOT to quit than actually quit. We cut right through the thin layer and were on top to a beautiful sunrise by 2000'. Continued on to AMW, and got there in time for the next guy to make his flight.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5274S/history/20071217/1249Z/KMUT/KAMW

Overall it was a great trip. Got some 'actual' time and approach. Got to fly a new-to-me airplane, and got to see family. I logged 16.8hrs in the 182RG since last Monday. It is a great flying airplane - it's heavy enough to slog through a log of bumps and remain stable in level flight, but not so heavy that you can't roll it into a 45* bank easily and it fall out of the sky. The local FBO rents this one for $115 wet, so I plan to use it for some multiple-person trips! (and maybe Comm if santa brings a bag of money)

Great writeup, Chris! Hope Rachel's feeling better. That sort of trip is why I'd like a 182RG for Christmas! We have the 210 on the line, but it certainly goes for more than $115 wet! That's about what our 172's go for!

Chris, I'm glad ya had a great trip. That's a beautiful area.

Dang, I wish the 182RG was only $115 where I was flying before. I had to pay $145 as a member paying dues of $22/mo or $165 as a non-member. Ya got a good bargain there. What are you paying for fuel up there?

The only 182RG in the Seattle area that I know of goes for over $200 an hour wet.

(There is a cheaper one at Arlington, but you need to "know people", as it belongs to a charter company).

~ Christopher

The only 182RG in the Seattle area that I know of goes for over $200 an hour wet.

(There is a cheaper one at Arlington, but you need to "know people", as it belongs to a charter company).

~ Christopher
WOW! $200/hr. I was renting one for only $147/hr. That was at SRQ. Sorry to say that FBO sold off their planes and stopped the flight school. But it was great having access to such a fine machine.

Yeah.. It's a heckuva bargain. Especially since Tony trashed the engine/prop last year :D -- it trues out at 150kts at altitude with that shiny new prop and tight engine on it. The only downside is that it has old non-flip-flop radios in it. It has a non-certified LORAN in it, which is useful for situational awareness, but not approved for nav. It does have a nice working dual axis autopilot, though, which was especially nice on that 5hr leg!

Normally, my family goes on trips in a Cherokee Six-300 that my dad rents from the club he's in. He pays something like $100/month dues and then up around $150/hr wet to rent the -6. For this trip, only four of us were going, so it seemed like a good reason to try the 182RG out. It's not bad at all considering I don't have to pay monthly dues to rent it, and then it's dirt cheap to rent it when I want it. Luckily, not many people fly it, either. Of course, they use it quite a bit in the summer for photo missions, but maybe if I can get Comm done, I can get in on some of that action as well. :)

Chris,

glad to hear the trip went well. 74S is a great airplane, I agree, particularly when the nose gear stays down :) I think the photo flying has dried up, but who knows. Be ready to start your commercial by January 14.

Nice write up. Sounds like you had a great trip. I know a little about those 182 cessnas. Mine isn't IFR but, neither am I. I still think it is a great little airplane. Bob

Back