10th Annual H.O.P.S. Party -- Wednesday, 7/27/11

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
H.O.P.S. Party Announcement -- Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Most of you know that in year's past, we have hosted the world's only "Fly In Pool Party" at the Alexis Park Inn in Iowa City. We also have hosted a party at our campsite in the North 40 aircraft camping area at Oshkosh, with food and beers from all over the country.

Obviously Party #1 is out, since we sold that hotel last March. We may be stopping in Iowa City on our way to OSH from our new hotel in Texas, but that will be just to meet up with friends.

I wish we could have kept the pool party tradition going, but our new place just is not "enroute to OSH" for very many people, unless you're coming from South America or Mexico! :lol:

Party #2, which has traditionally been called the "HOPS Party" (for "Homebuilt", "Owning", Piloting" and "Student" -- all the old rec.aviation groups), is still ON! Now sponsored by our new aviation themed motel, it will include:

- Free food & snacks
- Free hangar flying
- Ample viewing of airplanes.

This will be our 10th Annual HOPS Party. Here's how it works:

1. Admission is a 6-pack of beer from your home town/county/state. Extra points are awarded if you cannot see light through the beer.

(We will still let you in without bringing beer, obviously, but we will probably shun you like a pariah. The only thing worse than not bringing beer is bringing wine, which will result in a shower of ridicule like none other. This is WISCONSIN, gentlemen, not the Napa Valley. :yikes:)

2. This beer goes into a common cooler, for all to enjoy. We have had some truly wonderful -- and appalling -- beers over the years, so do your best to bring something that truly reflects your hometown pride!

(One Minnesotan, a fellow who shall remain nameless, always tries to lace the cooler with Grain Belt. We always try to dump these fetid, pale, flavorless bottles of turbid, under-developed hop-water onto the hallowed North 40 turf -- but since it's usually in one of his coolers, it's hard to get away with that!)

NO GRAIN BELT ALLOWED! :mad2: :D

3. The party starts at 6 PM on Wednesday -- which is also known as "Right after the airshow".

4. It is held at our campsite in the North 40.

5. It does not traditionally run late, since (a) we're all wiped out from walking 12 miles a day, (b) we ain't spring chickens anymore, and (c) Wisconsin mosquitoes have been known to take flight with unsuspecting visitors after dark. A few die-hards may sit around the faux campfire (usually John Smith's Honda generator!) until midnight, trading lies about their flying prowess -- but it's usually wrapping up by 10 PM.

How do you find this party, since parking in the North 40 is "first come, first served" and essentially random? Two ways:

1. Go to the North 40 registration booth earlier in the day, and give them our tail number "N56993" or our last name "Honeck". They can give you vectors from there.***

2. Wander aimlessly amongst the 10,000 airplanes, parked wingtip to wingtip, looking for our hotel's banner. Although this is great fun, and I highly recommend doing this during the week, you may never find the party before it's over by utilizing this method!

Our motel is currently called the "Harbor Inn" -- but now that we've got each room decorated as a different era of aviation history, we are starting the transition to "Amelia's Landing" -- so that's what will be on the big banner that will be proudly planted in front of Atlas, our Cherokee Pathfinder.

I hope you folks can make it! It's amazing how many people we've met at this party every year, and it's always great to meet up with old friends -- and make new ones!

*** Please note that the OSH N40 Registration booths close around 6 PM. Way too many people have walked all the way to the North 40, only to find these booths shuttered, with no way to find out where the party is! We will be flying in on the Saturday beforehand, so you should be able to ask where we are any time after Sunday.

(One Minnesotan, a fellow who shall remain nameless, always tries to lace the cooler with Grain Belt. We always try to dump these fetid, pale, flavorless bottles of turbid, under-developed hop-water onto the hallowed North 40 turf -- but since it's usually in one of his coolers, it's hard to get away with that!)

NO GRAIN BELT ALLOWED! :mad2: :D

Apparenly you haven't had Lone Star yet. :rofl:

1. Admission is a 6-pack of beer from your home town/county/state. Extra points are awarded if you cannot see light through the beer.

(We will still let you in without bringing beer, obviously, but we will probably shun you like a pariah. The only thing worse than not bringing beer is bringing wine, which will result in a shower of ridicule like none other. This is WISCONSIN, gentlemen, not the Napa Valley. :yikes:)

2. This beer goes into a common cooler, for all to enjoy. We have had some truly wonderful -- and appalling -- beers over the years, so do your best to bring something that truly reflects your hometown pride!

Must it be a 6 pack? How about a growler and 6 cups? There is a great little mirco brewery here but they have yet to bottle 6 packs.

Must it be a 6 pack? How about a growler and 6 cups? There is a great little mirco brewery here but they have yet to bottle 6 packs.

Six growlers?

:wink2:

How do you find this party, since parking in the North 40 is "first come, first served" and essentially random? Two ways:

1. Go to the North 40 registration booth earlier in the day, and give them our tail number "N56993" or our last name "Honeck". They can give you vectors from there.***

2. Wander aimlessly amongst the 10,000 airplanes, parked wingtip to wingtip, looking for our hotel's banner. Although this is great fun, and I highly recommend doing this during the week, you may never find the party before it's over by utilizing this method!

I've got an idea for a third method.

Sign up for a free google voice account and publish that number here. They will give you a phone number and you can set up the voicemail with an outgoing message. When you get your spot, change the message so anyone can call, listen to the message, and get the location.

That way someone who doesn't get to the booth by 6:00 has another way to find you without wandering the North 40.

You could do the same thing with your cell phone, but then some drunk wiseguy would end up calling you at 4:00am some Sunday morning to see if you were up.

For those who can't/don't make it to the registration tent you should know that as a Saturday arrival Jay will like be with a hundred feet of the west end of 9/27.

I've got an idea for a third method.

Sign up for a free google voice account and publish that number here. They will give you a phone number and you can set up the voicemail with an outgoing message. When you get your spot, change the message so anyone can call, listen to the message, and get the location.

That way someone who doesn't get to the booth by 6:00 has another way to find you without wandering the North 40.

You could do the same thing with your cell phone, but then some drunk wiseguy would end up calling you at 4:00am some Sunday morning to see if you were up.

And for those who are really, really geek you could publish the lat/long from a portable GPS at your site so that other geeks who never go without their portable GPS could find you to within a couple of feet. Of course if they are a few sheets to the wind already that may be problematic ....:eek:

And for those who are really, really geek you could publish the lat/long from a portable GPS at your site so that other geeks who never go without their portable GPS could find you to within a couple of feet. Of course if they are a few sheets to the wind already that may be problematic ....:eek:

Ha! That's not even far-fetched.

I've got an app on my Droid that lets me push a button when I park my car in one of these mega-malls -- and it will then direct me back to my car four hours later. It rocks!

Hamm's, Grain Belt, Pabst, Schlitz, Miller, Bud. The beers of my youth, and my father's generation.

I've often wondered how that evolved. The beers that my great-great-great-grandfather Heinrich enjoyed in Germany were nothing like these light, airy, flavorless brews -- yet just a couple of generations later, they had become the dominant beers in America, driving all the local breweries out of business.

When I was a boy, most towns in Wisconsin still had their local brewery. In West Bend we had "Lithia" just a few blocks from our home. I can still smell the beer brewing, if I close my eyes...

But, of course, these local breweries failed by all trying to be "Schlitz", brewing the same flavorless swill, rather than trying to differentiate themselves. One by one, the lights went out.

Thankfully, in the '80s the microbrewing craze swept the nation, and we are all now blessed with a plethora of fabulous and flavorful local beers. It's truly one of the great joys of travel, nowadays, sampling the local brews as you go.

Which, of course, is what makes the HOPS Party so fun. We all get to sample these great beers whilst enjoying the company of friends from all over the country, and watching planes. It's hard to imagine a better way to party!

Hamm's, Grain Belt, Pabst, Schlitz, Miller, Bud. The beers of my youth, and my father's generation.

And.... Schaffer, Colt 45, Blatz, etc.

There's always Rolling Rock, Hudy, and Yuengling in the "decent" category.

The folks from Pittsburgh might choose to defend Iron City beer, but you have to be careful or the cans will have something clunking around inside ;)

I'm surprised that Diana hasn't weighed in with a comment about Molson.

So where is the HOPS Party this year?

Row 520 (just West of the new shower building) in the North 40 GA camping area, on the end cap facing Rwy 27. Perfect for watching the REAL airshow, arrivals and departures.

See y'all Wednesday after the air show! Come hungry!

Joining this website has been the first time in my life I have ever regretted living in California, which now seems so far away from like 99.9 percent of pilots on earth.

I heart beer.

Have one for me.

Kimberly

I don't think that means what you think it means :d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaE3HAjuUk8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Wed. is my EAA alone day, and I should be able to join everyone. Unfortunately the 2 yr old is sick, so no PoA dinner Tues. :( There's no way she'll last until 7pm, even showing up at 3pm.

Is Labbat Maximum Ice acceptable :p

Man, we might need a ride, you're SO FAR AWAY. :rofl:

... I'm on 517 end cap, facing the runway too. Me and Stan will be there--is there a place on field to buy beer? If not, I can take the North 40 shuttle to the corner exit and see what the BP has in stock. Other suggestions? I haven't wandered off field yet.

This morning's pre-storm wave cloud formations were incredible. Not stopping the departures, though! Steady stream heading out.

Thanks to all who brought a GREAT selection of micro (and macro) beers to the HOPS Party. Given the weather conditions that day, we were afraid no one would schlep their way all the way to the (very soggy) North Forty -- but we should never have feared! We had a great time, and (as always) it was great to put faces with names.

After 7.5 hours of flying yesterday, dodging popcorn t-storms all the way, we are currently holed up in Austin, enjoying our last day of this wonderful vacation. I hope y'all can come visit us in South Texas some time!

See you at OSH 2012! :)

Thanks to all who brought a GREAT selection of micro (and macro) beers to the HOPS Party. Given the weather conditions that day, we were afraid no one would schlep their way all the way to the (very soggy) North Forty -- but we should never have feared! We had a great time, and (as always) it was great to put faces with names.

After 7.5 hours of flying yesterday, dodging popcorn t-storms all the way, we are currently holed up in Austin, enjoying our last day of this wonderful vacation. I hope y'all can come visit us in South Texas some time!

See you at OSH 2012! :)
Sorry we didn't make it, but glad you had a good turnout!

Sorry we didn't make it, but glad you had a good turnout!

Same with your party, Grant! You guys certainly got the good weather, and I wish we had been able to attend.

Sadly, by the end of Day 4, our ability to walk from the airfield to Camp Scholler was gone. The thought of a 6 mile round trip hike, at the end of four 12-hour days of walking, was just too much for our feet to bear.

Until EAA figures out a way to create bike paths connecting the North and South ends of the event, Camp Scholler may as well be in Fond du Lac -- and vice versa for you. :(

Edit: For those who don't understand the size and scope of the grounds, I encourage you to watch this new video, showing a journey from the South end of the field to the North end. (And, of course, Scholler continues for ANOTHER several miles down Hwy 41!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daRHW61Cx-o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
Same with your party, Grant! You guys certainly got the good weather, and I wish we had been able to attend.

Sadly, by the end of Day 4, our ability to walk from the airfield to Camp Scholler was gone. The thought of a 6 mile round trip hike, at the end of four 12-hour days of walking, was just too much for our feet to bear.

Until EAA figures out a way to create bike paths connecting the North and South ends of the event, Camp Scholler may as well be in Fond du Lac -- and vice versa for you. :(

Edit: For those who don't understand the size and scope of the grounds, I encourage you to watch this new video, showing a journey from the South end of the field to the North end. (And, of course, Scholler continues for ANOTHER several miles down Hwy 41!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daRHW61Cx-o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Jay, they did that last year. The path starts by the guard shack near the new bathhouse in north 40. It goes over to the access road were you get the bus to the Museum ( Bus Tower ). From there it's internal roads that you can ride your bike on over to Schollar. I rode it to get to theater in the woods for the Bob Hoover show and Friday to go Scholler to visit with Dan Gryder ( the DC3 Herpa guy )

PS Sorry I did not make it back for Wednesday's gathering. I was triple booked and did not make it to all 3.

WE got a ride to camp Scholler for the Prellwitz event. Won't divulge who sat in who's lap for that one though.;)

Sorry we didn't make it... but now I have a fridge full of beer in Denver... that I probably won't finish drinking until Oshkosh '12. LOL!

All you have to do is make sure to end the day near the Camp Scholler entrance to the show grounds behind the threater in the woods then catch the camp bus out to the area of the party. The people out in camp Scholler all have cars so running people back out to the north 40 after the end of day traffic is gone isn't an issue.

All you have to do is make sure to end the day near the Camp Scholler entrance to the show grounds behind the threater in the woods then catch the camp bus out to the area of the party. The people out in camp Scholler all have cars so running people back out to the north 40 after the end of day traffic is gone isn't an issue.
:yeahthat:
Unfortunately, we had no bikes, and it's not quite as easy doing the trip in the opposite direction, because there are rarely cars at the North 40 waiting to take people back to Scholler!

A few more pictures from the H.O.P.S. party:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And this one, not at the H.O.P.S. party, but appropriate:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3444.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3445.JPG
    IMG_3445.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3446.JPG
    IMG_3446.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3447.JPG
    IMG_3447.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3448.JPG
    IMG_3448.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3452.JPG
    IMG_3452.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 36
Jay, they did that last year. The path starts by the guard shack near the new bathhouse in north 40. It goes over to the access road were you get the bus to the Museum ( Bus Tower ). From there it's internal roads that you can ride your bike on over to Schollar. I rode it to get to theater in the woods for the Bob Hoover show and Friday to go Scholler to visit with Dan Gryder ( the DC3 Herpa guy )

PS Sorry I did not make it back for Wednesday's gathering. I was triple booked and did not make it to all 3.

Wow! Mary and I had no idea. We rode our bikes to the museum, and schlepped a lot of gear to/from our trailer, using a little piece of that road, but didn't know it went all the way to the South end

Note for next year. Riding the bikes will make Theater in the Woods AND Scholler accessible.

:yeahthat:
Unfortunately, we had no bikes, and it's not quite as easy doing the trip in the opposite direction, because there are rarely cars at the North 40 waiting to take people back to Scholler!

Yea the year I made it out to the Hops party I was on the golf cart with the pass to the show grounds so it made it really easy.

Back