100LL Debacle

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Dave Anderson, Aug 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. O2 Birddog

O2 Birddog Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    O2 Birddog
    I was sincerely hoping that would be the case but I never expect the gov't to make a whole lot of sense, particularly when it comes to environmental issues.

Darryl Snover likes this.
  2. Pinecone

Pinecone Cleared for Takeoff

Display name:
    Pinecone
    And methanol is hydrophilic. That's why it works as dry gas.

3. Bell206

Bell206 Final Approach

Display name:
    Bell206
    If they were there would only be one standard. Have seen the inner workings of the RTCA but can only imagine how the ATSM or SAE are when jockeying for position on a global level.

4. chemgeek

chemgeek En-Route

Display name:
    chemgeek
    ExxonMobil Elite was a semisynthetic multi weight oil with a corrosion inhibitor similar to CamGuard included in the blend. Regrettably, it was discontinued. It was not price competitive with Aeroshell or Phillips multiweight oil.

5. Hang 4

Hang 4 Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Hang 4
    There was a Mobil AV1 full synthetic oil that was withdrawn for a number of issues. Gets confused with Exxon Elite since Exxon merged with Mobil.

6. Craig Hammond

Craig Hammond Pre-Flight

Display name:
    spna
    [QUOTE="PaulMillner, post: 3304465, .....
    a couple years of FAA rulemaking activity. Blanket STCs aren’t a thing today, and apparently not easy to accomplish legally for the FAA.

Paul[/QUOTE]
    Thankyou Mr Millner. I've learned a lot from your post here and the article you've written.

7. Utah-Jay

Utah-Jay Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Jay
    This might interest a few of you…. Lycoming jumps in early on the oil change question

Palmpilot and NealRomeoGolf like this.
  8. Daleandee

Daleandee En-Route

Display name:
    Dale Andee
    I have at least three gas burning engines that really like Shell Rotella T4 15W-40! Works very well in the older flat tappet engines ... :)

O2 Birddog likes this.
  9. asicer

asicer Final Approach

Display name:
    asicer
    April 2017? I guess that was in response to UL94?

Also, who is going to be changing the oil every other filter replacement?

10. DoubleD

DoubleD Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    David
    So, an STC is required to legally use G100. Swift is also pursuing the STC route. Then there are the EAGLE participants, operating under some other licensing arrangement. Assuming there are eventually multiple approved fuels competing in the marketplace, sounds like chaos. Is there a plan?

11. Walboy

Walboy Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Walboy
    A lot of times the first player in a market isn't the one that gains traction. VHS vs Betamax for example.

I'm not sure I'll jump the gun with a STC purchase until I see what my home airport decides to do. It's hard to imagine there being more than one fuel because it's my understanding that fuel suppliers want to be the exclusive fuel supplier at any given location. There's going to be some jockeying behind the scenes, positioning, deal making. Seems like the best thing to do is wait and see what develops.

O2 Birddog likes this.
  12. Bell206

Bell206 Final Approach

Display name:
    Bell206
    And UL91 in Europe. If using UL avgas, going 100 hrs on the oil per the bulletin is not really an issue. The oil doesn't wear out as much as it gets contaminated of which lead was a large percentage. Its a lot less problematic than the current supply driven issues to skip the filter changes and only change the oil. I think once UL becomes the predominant avgas out there you'll see further extensions on oil changes perhaps out to 150 or 200 hours except those engines/aircraft with ADs limiting the oil change to no more than 100 hrs.

13. PaulMillner

PaulMillner Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Paul Millner
    I think that would challenge the acid buffering of the oil...

Reintroduction of aviation-tailored synthetic oil promises less engine wear and lower operating temperatures. I'll sign up for that!

Paul

Sierra_Hotel, wayneda40 and Half Fast like this.
  14. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast
    Agreed! I suspect the savings from improved oil and spark plug and engine life will more than offset the extra cost of UL fuel, and the STC will pay for itself.

I think there will be significant demand for GAMI gas - from pilots, from communities, from airports, and from the EPA. Hopefully that demand will motivate companies to get the fuel into production and distribution more quickly than expected.

15. Bell206

Bell206 Final Approach

Display name:
    Bell206
    If that is along the same lines as additive depletion and other degrade actions on the oil I seem to recall several discussion on way to mitigate those issues with conventional oil. Regardless if they can get a synthetic product to work in recips that could definitely take it to the next level.

On the small turbine side we had routinely extended OEM oil change intervals from 200 to 600 hrs by simply adding a secondary external oil filter. Granted there's a difference in engine operating parameters but the "newer" gen synthetic oils made it all possible. I would surmise the same would be true with recips with the right oil blend and filtration.

16. robin ardoin

robin ardoin Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Robard
    Hygroscopic is a more appropriate descriptor. Sorry for being pedantic. I used to burn methanol by the drum in my kart racing days and rigged a pressure system with Argon to ‘push’ it out of the drum and never expose the stored methanol to the atmosphere since I live in a very humid climate.

17. Pinecone

Display name:
    Pinecone
    You will probably only see one fuel at a given field. But you may have different fuels at different fields, even in a given region. But definitely flying from region to region.

The good news is, the GAMI STC will be a by a website, so if you are at a field with GAMI and you only have a Swift STC, you can use your iPad to buy the STC. :D

18. Pinecone

Display name:
    Pinecone
    But then again, in cars we went from 3,000 mile oil change intervals to 15,000 mile change intervals. :)

But less wear and lower temps are very good things.

mcdewey likes this.
  19. Jeff Oslick

Jeff Oslick En-Route

Display name:
    Jeff Oslick
    Note the 100 hour oil changes still have the caveat of "or every 4 months, whichever is first". For flight schools, this is significant, for the average spam can owner, it isn't, because most hit 4 months before 100 hours. Of course, there are plenty who only change the oil every annual, whether it needs it or not... :eek:

Sierra_Hotel likes this.
  20. DoubleD

DoubleD Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    David
    That's my concern: that you will need more than one STC, plus whatever licensing arrangement may come out of EAGLE.

21. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 Final Approach

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    I'm still alive tho *shrugs*. At least you had the couth to not offer money to inscribe my gravestone mocking my death, like one classy mf'er over on the Piper board offered to do when I raised objections over the ERAU moral hazard AD. So thank you for staying classy. :D

I will say this much. Thanks to our failed national strategy policy, there's pRide iN owNersHip dodo birds right now incurring oil changes with the same oil filter. And they think I'm the pounds-foolish in the room? lol. I digress. TETO.
    #stillalive

schmookeeg, Sierra_Hotel and TCABM like this.
  22. Dana

Dana En-Route

Display name:
    Dana
    You gotta wonder why they're charging for the STC since they're getting a cut on every gallon sold. Seems a free STC would only increase fuel sales.

23. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast

Why not? Maybe the STC will become free once there’s a competitor, but now?

24. Bell206

Bell206 Final Approach

Display name:
    Bell206
    I think once the UL guys get the bills paid and things stabilize the STCs in general will become public domain. I would really hate to see they're final R&D expenditure. However, I think the UL developers are on a finite schedule as I believe the industry standards will be updated which will null and void any STC or other approval requirement. They're also working the same route for SAF on the turbine/jet side.

25. Half Fast

Half Fast Final Approach

Display name:
    Half Fast

Sure, but that update will likely move at the speed of a bureaucratic snail chasing an FAA turtle across a field of red-tape peanut butter.

GAMI will have years of STC sales if they want them. Environmental concerns will shove the change to UL along much faster than the fuel standard can be revised, and fuel suppliers will have to sell GAMI gas or invent, test, and STC their own fuels.

Getting a license from GAMI will be the path of least resistance for fuel suppliers to sell UL juice.

NHWannabe likes this.
  26. Bell206

Bell206 Final Approach

Display name:
    Bell206
    I don't think it will it from what I've seen and read on the SAF side. The G100 approval was a benchmark in the process. Besides the standards updating is apart from the regulatory side per se and runs at its own speed, determine and influence. Given the current climate so to speak I think SAF and UL AVGAS will become a feature everywhere sooner than later. And years sooner than most think.

27. Jeff Oslick

Jeff Oslick En-Route

Display name:
    Jeff Oslick
    Because George wants to have some of this money while he's still on the planet. From a practical perspective, even if 25% of the GA fleet, about 50,000 planes, pay, on average $150 for the STC, That's only $7.5M, which isn't a lot for all the time and expense he has put into this effort. Heck, even if it is $20M, I'm not going to be the one to argue him and his team doesn't deserve it.

28. Mxfarm

Mxfarm Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    Marc
    This could add a whole new chapter of flight planning for the AIM, “how to find approved fuel without running out”.

O2 Birddog likes this.
  29. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    2010 video - now we know how long it took George Braly to grow his beard.

Cykoguy likes this.
  30. Morgan3820

Morgan3820 En-Route

Display name:
    El Conquistador
    I really don’t know why you guys are fussing so much. The STC will cost less than the flight to KGMU for a POA social. Or, am i misjudging y’all?

O2 Birddog, NHWannabe and Half Fast like this.
  31. PaulMillner

Display name:
    Paul Millner
    Cars don't have the loose-tolerance air-cooled engines, with very large pistons, that we do... so the blowby, that creates the oil acidity problem, is an order of magnitude smaller... or maybe two orders?

Paul

32. PaulMillner

Display name:
    Paul Millner
    • Hydrophilic − Refers to substances that absorb water. A hydrophilic substance will bond, on a molecular level with water.
    • Hydrophobic − Refers to materials that will repel water.
    • Oleophilic − Refers to a substance that absorb oils or nonpolar liquids.
    • Oleophobic − Refers to a substance that repels oils or nonpolar liquids.
    • Hygroscopic − Refers to the ability of a material to absorb humidity from the air. A hygroscopic substance will actively attract and absorb water, without bonding. (A hygroscope is an instrument that indicates changes in humidity.)

33. Dana

Dana En-Route

Display name:
    Dana
    I'm not fussing, just curious about the business plan. Flying an experimental, I don't need an STC to use any alternative fuel.

Daleandee and X3 Skier like this.
  34. Morgan3820

Morgan3820 En-Route

Display name:
    El Conquistador
    You forgot Deliquesant. :p

35. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    I suspect that the lack of PCV is a much bigger factor in the rate of crap buildup in the crankcase.

nrpetersen likes this.
  36. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
  37. PaulMillner

Display name:
    Paul Millner
    Thanks GT. That Paul Millner companion video is sure to be awesome!

It’s not clear to me CAU will sell to transients as Bertorelli states… couple other points there need clarification as well.

Paul

38. Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Display name:
    Light and Sporty Guy
    Very informative.

39. Checkout_my_Six

Checkout_my_Six Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Check_my_Six
    Good show Paul…..;)

PaulMillner, wayneda40 and Jim K like this.
  40. Morgan3820

Morgan3820 En-Route

Display name:
    El Conquistador
    One of my concerns is that the sole remaining source of tetraethyl lead will be shut down prematurely