100LL And Lead Exposure

I always smell the fuel during my pre flight... And yes it inevitably gets all over my hands. I never put any thought into the effects. I've always kind of liked the smell of fuel too :dunno:

Just a word to the wise. You owe it to your future babies to be as careful as you can, that's all I'm saying. ( I am assuming you are young woman by your Missi name)

BTW, I never said lead causes cancer, but many of the chemicals in gasoline do. Stay away from the fumes. ;).

And in 20 years someone will come up with a study that absolutely proves beyond any doubt whatsoever that nitrile gloves cause cancer or brain damage or something nasty like that..then where are you?

Avgas every once in a while is nothing compared to everything else. Think of the constant exposure to auto gas and it's nasties that you get every week, or every few days, of your life at the gas station...yet nobody freaks out over that and nobody wears biological isolation suits with positive pressure air masks while refueling their car. We won't even get into household cleaners or bug spray or anything like that which is specifically designed to kill biological stuff.

Frank! When you can gestate a fetus for 9 months let us all know will ya? :mad2::mad2::mad2:

I love all this anecdotal evidence from people that supposedly are smart enough to fly an airplane. " Hell, I once ate lead soldiers when I was a kid and nuttin happened but my teeth fell out" :rofl:

All I am saying is limit your exposure to hazardous chemicals, especially women of child bearing age. :dunno:

Last edited:
- don't drink it
- don't sniff it

Historically, sniffing 'petrol' has been a favorite past-time in some isolated villages in canada and australia. The users evaporate gasoline in a makeshift bong and inhale it in high concentrations every day to get high. At times, when they get their hands on a jug of avgas, there are cases of organic lead poisoning from TEL. Back when car gas was leaded, organic lead poisoning was a common issue in those communities. Blood lead level has been used as a marker to evaluate the efficiency of drug intervention strategies.

In 70 years of using leaded aviation gasoline, it seems that nobody ever bothered to check blood lead levels in exposed general aviation workers (or at least nobody bothered to publish something on it in the last 30 years). I doubt that casual exposure while fueling or sumping will cause measurable elevations of blood lead levels.

There is a study of Iraqi gas station attendants (some of the poor gulf countries still have leaded gasoline), they were found to have a lead level twice of the control group (14μg/dl, a level you would start to treat in kids).

There is other stuff like toluene and xylene in avgas that you dont want to absorb through the skin, inhale or ingest, some of these branched organic solvents will do bad things to your kidneys. Again, unless your job is to wash parts in avgas every day or you work with your arm inside of mooney tanks all day, it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
Just a word to the wise. You owe it to your future babies to be as careful as you can, that's all I'm saying. ( I am assuming you are young woman by your Missi name)

BTW, I never said lead causes cancer, but many of the chemicals in gasoline do. Stay away from the fumes. ;).

And if I don't ever plan on having children? Then is it okay? :D

Yeah, Benzine ain't exactly a constituent of health food...:nonod:

- don't drink it
- don't sniff it

Historically, sniffing 'petrol' has been a favorite past-time in some isolated villages in canada and australia. The users evaporate gasoline in a makeshift bong and inhale it in high concentrations every day to get high. At times, when they got their hands on a jug of avgas, there have been cases of lead poisoning from the TEL. Blood lead level has been used as a marker to evaluate how efficient drug intervention strategies are.

In 70 years of using leaded aviation gasoline, it seems that nobody ever bothered to check blood lead levels in exposed general aviation workers (or at least nobody bothered to publish something on it in the last 30 years). I doubt that casual exposure such as while fueling or sumping will cause measurable elevations of blood lead levels.

There is a study of Iraqui gas station attendants (some of the poor gulf countries still have leaded gasoline), they were found to have a lead level twice of the control group (14μg/dl, a level you would start to treat in kids).

There is other stuff like toluene and xylene in avgas that you dont want to absorb through the skin, inhale or ingest, some of these branched organic solvents will do bad things to your kidneys. Again, unless your job is to wash parts in avgas every day or you work with your arm inside of mooney tanks all day, it shouldn't be an issue.

Good advice.

However, with any exposure level to lead being deemed unsafe according to EPA and other environmental health agencies it would be prudent for young women of child bearing age ( Frank included) to be extra cautious avoid any contact if possible. JMHO. :D

Last edited:
However, with any exposure level to lead being deemed unsafe according to EPA and other environmental health agencies it would be prudent for young women of child bearing age ( Frank included) to be extra cautious avoid any contact if possible. JMHO. :D

The state of california has determined that 'life' causes cancer.

Just as with exposure to ionizing radiation, it is impossible to determine a non-effect. The EPA is a politically driven agency, statements about what is good or bad for us are determined by how big of a budget it takes to 'abate' whatever the problem of the day is.

Having spent time recently with disabled sailors I have observed the direct results of both thalidomide and mercury in pregnant women, If I was a girl who wants children at some point, I'd seriously be real careful.

One thing about being a captain when hauling cargo, you get handed MSDS sheets for everything you carry. They make for interesting reading on long boring passages...

The state of california has determined that 'life' causes cancer.

Just as with exposure to ionizing radiation, it is impossible to determine a non-effect. The EPA is a politically driven agency, statements about what is good or bad for us are determined by how big of a budget it takes to 'abate' whatever the problem of the day is.

Agreed. However, in the absence of acceptable limits (there is no acceptable exposure limit) " avoid exposure when possible" would be prudent for young women to protect future offspring. :D

Exposure to radiation according to the government 50 years ago was a learning curve. Xray machines were used to measure feet. Only when shoe salesmen started dying of radiation poisoning did they lower the exposure limit and got rid of the machines. Then radio active material was wrapped on the acne pimpled faces of teens to cure the pimples, but thyroid & throat cancer ran rampant in the unfortunate patients. Ever wonder why the dentist puts a lead shield on your soft organs when taking xrays of your teeth? :dunno:

Safe radiation exposure levels have been lowered, and lowered as new information has come forward as to the detrimental health effects of over exposure. Use to be if your skin turned red you had enough radiation for a while. Those workers did not live very long. Today's exposure limits are measured by micro doses as compared to days gone by.

Looking ahead, looking forward, limiting exposure to known health hazardous materials for young women only makes sense. :yes:

Last edited:
Ok - here we go:

Lead exposure reduces intelligence and increases stupidity;

We have been using lead in gasoline and paint for 150 years;

There are more and more Democrats registering to vote and more liberal causes being supported -

Ergo - [insert conclusion here]

Ok - here we go:

There are more and more Democrats registering to vote and more liberal causes being supported -

Now your talking! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I could ask why people still fly certified planes over experimentals, but I digress. ( Must be the lead!!!). :rofl:

Last edited:
Ok - here we go:

conclusion- Republicans since they are anti all health and environmental regulations must be wanting to dumb down the population to make everyone as stupid as them.

its open for all persons of all persuasions to conclude anything they want!!

-
In 70 years of using leaded aviation gasoline, it seems that nobody ever bothered to check blood lead levels in exposed general aviation workers

I get that test done yearly since I work around and with 100LL on a regular basis. Ive never had a rise in lead levels even with working with it all the time.

conclusion- Republicans since they are anti all health and environmental regulations must be wanting to dumb down the population to make everyone as stupid as them.

I take back what I said about you being an accident. You were hatched. ;)

Ya!!! By alien space invaders!!!

:rofl:

Invaders? Just checking in on the brood and seeing how it's coming along, last report was "not well, uncooperative and argumentative, still can't see further than 2 moves down the road". We'll get the final decision on what the boss wants to do with the planet in December, she's still tossed up between letting it go a bit longer or just cutting losses and starting from scratch.

Invaders? Just checking in on the brood and seeing how it's coming along, last report was "not well, uncooperative and argumentative, still can't see further than 2 moves down the road". We'll get the final decision on what the boss wants to do with the planet in December, she's still tossed up between letting it go a bit longer or just cutting losses and starting from scratch.

:eek: Why is it I understand what you said and believe it! :eek:

So, pregnant women should only fly turbine aircraft, then....

Young women of gestating age, not necessarily gestating, .... although they should avoid it also. ;)

But yes, pregnant women should only fly turbines. :dunno:

A good female friend took her check ride while she was 6 months PG. We wanted to turn her in for soloing with a passenger. :dunno:

Yes, she wore gloves when fueling and doing preflight. She is a teaching prof at UNL and knows the dangers of lead exposure. :D

Last edited:
Young women of gestating age, not necessarily gestating, .... although they should avoid it also. ;)

But yes, pregnant women should only fly turbines. :dunno:

A good female friend took her check ride while she was 6 months PG. We wanted to turn her in for soloing with a passenger. :dunno:

Yes, she wore gloves when fueling and doing preflight. She is a teaching prof at UNL and knows the dangers of lead exposure. :D
The obvious answer to the problem is to get rid of 100LL. Oh wait...

The risk of lead exposure is obviously greater than zero. How much risk someone wants to accept is their own business, female or not.

The risk of lead exposure is obviously greater than zero. How much risk someone wants to accept is their own business, female or not.

Not very liberal thinking there! :rofl:

Personal responsibility? :eek: :nono:

The govment has o think for you! :rofl:

Thing is as well, people can only 'accept' a risk they understand. If they aren't informed of the risk, then they cannot make the decision to accept or not.

I'd be fine with that. Give me some non-corn-juice gas and I'll be flying.

It's 20% of the engines in the fleet that are holding back the 80% from the obvious solution, really.

I'd be fine with that. Give me some non-corn-juice gas and I'll be flying.

It's 20% of the engines in the fleet that are holding back the 80% from the obvious solution, really.

those are the 20% unfortunately that generally pay for themselves which mean they get more votes . . .

those are the 20% unfortunately that generally pay for themselves which mean they get more votes . . .

Those are the ones that Continental really needs to get in gear with the 350hp 6cyl Diesel because they are the ones that will see the a real financial benefit from the swap as well.

Isn't 100LL about .5 grams of lead per gallon today? In the 70s, leaded car gas that everyone used every day was bout 4 grams per gallon, or 8 times as much. Sure, lead is bad. However, I can't see being overly concerned about it considering the the fact that there weren't dramatic, widespread problems caused by it when everyone was exposed to far, far higher levels. Sure, I don't want my wife or daughter to touch it, and even try to keep them away from the fumes and exhaust, but I can't see making a big deal about it...that just gives more ammunition to those who would have us all live in wood huts in the wilderness, with a life expectancy of 35 years.

Back