100LL And Lead Exposure

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
The subject came up in another thread, and I wanted to make a specific thread to bring this very important topic to the front burner.

As more and more young women become interested in flying it is important they especially are aware and protect themselves from lead exposure from 100ll. Their future babies are at risk IMHO of life long problems from lead exposure.

I would ask Dr. Bruce and other medical pros to weigh in on the topic also. Protecting future pilots (babies of flying babes) is a good thing!

Any exposure to lead is not a good thing. Please gals, protect your future children.

Geico, there aren't any good studies. But one thing you can do, is get a FLIR camera and have someone shoot your next refueling. You'll always park into the wind for refueling after that.....

Not just TEL, there are about 50 things in petrol that can't be good for you.

Then this is a good conversation to have. Not to be an alarmist, but I think many pilots take fuel for granted and do not treat it as it should be.... it is a complex, toxic mixture of cancer causing chemicals. Avoid skin contact, and fumes. Remember boys and girls, when you smell fuel those chemicals are entering your body. :eek:

Time to freak out and stop flying???? No just be aware and protect yourselves. :D

Thanks Dr. B.

Last edited:
Yes "Think of the children"...

I personally am not worried about the lead in 100LL, although I will wash my hands if needed after fueling and try to avoid drinking it...

Given the physiologically neutral doses of lead imbibed by previous generations, I am somewhat less than concerned.

Geico, there aren't any good studies. But one thing you can do, is get a FLIR camera and have someone shoot your next refueling. You'll always park into the wind for refueling after that.....

Not just TEL, there are about 50 things in petrol that can't be good for you.

It seems the wind always shifts when I'm pouring the fueld back in from the GATS.

You liberals are always looking for a cause. :goofy:
(Please, don't anyone respond to this. It was only a joke).

The subject came up in another thread, and I wanted to make a specific thread to bring this very important topic to the front burner.

As more and more young women become interested in flying it is important they especially are aware and protect themselves from lead exposure from 100ll. Their future babies are at risk IMHO of life long problems from lead exposure.

I would ask Dr. Bruce and other medical pros to weigh in on the topic also. Protecting future pilots (babies of flying babes) is a good thing!

Any exposure to lead is not a good thing. Please gals, protect your future children.

This current, "lead is the ultimate evil" thing strikes me as funny. Think about LA in the early 70's. You'd probably ingest more lead from the smog in one day than people do in a lifetime now. How many mechanics spent their entire careers with their hands wet with leaded gas? How many painters came home everyday literally covered in lead paint? No doubt it isn't good for anyone, but the minor exposer we're talking about here just seems like nothing to worry about.

There is a reason industrialized countries have the highest cancer rates. ;)

All I am saying is "Let's be careful out there.". :D

( a public service announcement brought to you by Geico)

Exactly right! Have you seen the dumb things people do now? It's lead poisoning I tell you! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You know, it could be what's stunted our evolution, or a major component. Look how long we used lead glazes on ceramic dish wear, a few thousand years?

True, but this probably ain't that reason. I would look at advanced medical care letting us live long enough that cancer is what gets us instead of heart attacks/stroke/injuries/disease. :yesnod:

To try to keep this discussion polite, relevant, and somewhat on-topic I'm going to belay my standard Obamacare rant...

I've been wearing gloves to refuel the car for many years, as did my father, so I continued the practice with the airplane.

I've been wearing gloves to refuel the car for many years, as did my father, so I continued the practice with the airplane.

Good practice to follow:yesnod: If I had done so through life my hands would not look as hey do now lol.

In the TW countries I've lived in people often die young - before cancers usually develop. Raise the life expectancy and you'll raise the cancer rate. The carcinogen exposure in India and China dwarfs ours.

I have a box of examination gloves in the hangar that I use when sumping fule into the GATS jar. I've done that for a long time.

You know, it could be what's stunted our evolution, or a major component. Look how long we used lead glazes on ceramic dish wear, a few thousand years?

And for a while the Chinese were making china using lead-loaded glazing that was killing children. Too much lead, inadequately fired.

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/foodcontaminantsadulteration/metals/lead/ucm233281.htm

Wiki has this to say about lead poisoning symptoms:

"Early symptoms of lead poisoning in adults are commonly nonspecific and include depression, loss of appetite, intermittent abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, and muscle pain.[20] Other early signs in adults include malaise, fatigue, decreased libido, and problems with sleep.[14] An unusual taste in the mouth and personality changes are also early signs."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

I've been seeing reports that depression is at record levels in our society. Can we eliminate lead as a factor there?

Danhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning#cite_note-Patrick06-20

I have a box of examination gloves in the hangar that I use when sumping fule into the GATS jar. I've done that for a long time.

Costco boxes of nitrile gloves both in the car and at the hangar. Changing the oil? Grab a pair of those nitriles. Adding brake fluid/cleaning the struts? Another pair of the nitriles. In fact anytime I'm working anywhere other than inside the airplane, nitrile gloves.

I really hate getting crud on my hands. Also means I don't transfer foreign/toxic stuff to eyes or nose or lunch.

I worked in a commercial paint store for 3 years in my college days. I am probably already done for.

Costco boxes of nitrile gloves both in the car and at the hangar. Changing the oil? Grab a pair of those nitriles. Adding brake fluid/cleaning the struts? Another pair of the nitriles. In fact anytime I'm working anywhere other than inside the airplane, nitrile gloves.

I really hate getting crud on my hands. Also means I don't transfer foreign/toxic stuff to eyes or nose or lunch.
I tried to do that for awhile but just found that my hands would get WAY too hot and sweaty if I was working on anything for any length of time.

And in 20 years someone will come up with a study that absolutely proves beyond any doubt whatsoever that nitrile gloves cause cancer or brain damage or something nasty like that..then where are you?

Avgas every once in a while is nothing compared to everything else. Think of the constant exposure to auto gas and it's nasties that you get every week, or every few days, of your life at the gas station...yet nobody freaks out over that and nobody wears biological isolation suits with positive pressure air masks while refueling their car. We won't even get into household cleaners or bug spray or anything like that which is specifically designed to kill biological stuff.

Because people in non-industrial countries don't have lifespans long enough to contract geriatric diseases?

Stunted evolution? Humans have evolved faster in the last 3,000 years than in the previous 10,000,000. And it's accelerating.

Sadly, it's been all knowledge-driven, not physical, so we're still the same basic brutes, emotionally -- but I think this amazing evolutionary pace proves that lead poisoning hasn't been an issue of concern, at least at a species-wide level.

I'm soo screwed myself then.
I have been hanging around 100LL burning engines since I was six years old starting with a B-17. Maybe that's why I'm so hard headed - my brain has a lead coating! I remember going to the Denton airshow as a kid and driving around with my Dad and a friend in a fuel truck helping fuel airplanes up. "Here kid go hook up this ground cable", "kid go unhook the ground cable"

There were adventures and events with the B-17 that getting gas on your hands or oil, or something else was common practice hanging around an old airplane like that.

Then there was all the time during the summer months spent at dad's electric motor business. Can we say cleaning agents, grease, dirt, grim, grim, and more grim? I would have to wash my hands like the other workers at the end of the day - and if goop or fast orange didn't remove it - then varsol, paint thinner, or gasoline would.

I'm 35 now and I passed my last physical with flying colors - and the doctor told me my results looked so good that I could wait two or three years before coming back!

It's a good thing to be aware of it - but it's more damaging IMO when you start over reacting about it.

I'm soo screwed myself then.
I have been hanging around 100LL burning engines since I was six years old starting with a B-17. Maybe that's why I'm so hard headed - my brain has a lead coating! I remember going to the Denton airshow as a kid and driving around with my Dad and a friend in a fuel truck helping fuel airplanes up. "Here kid go hook up this ground cable", "kid go unhook the ground cable"
That can't be it - lead is soft! :rofl:

Did some work in a NJ gas station?

And in 20 years someone will come up with a study that absolutely proves beyond any doubt whatsoever that nitrile gloves cause cancer or brain damage or something nasty like that..then where are you?

Avgas every once in a while is nothing compared to everything else. Think of the constant exposure to auto gas and it's nasties that you get every week, or every few days, of your life at the gas station...yet nobody freaks out over that and nobody wears biological isolation suits with positive pressure air masks while refueling their car. We won't even get into household cleaners or bug spray or anything like that which is specifically designed to kill biological stuff.
:yeahthat:

Stunted evolution? Humans have evolved faster in the last 3,000 years than in the previous 10,000,000. And it's accelerating.

Sadly, it's been all knowledge-driven, not physical, so we're still the same basic brutes, emotionally -- but I think this amazing evolutionary pace proves that lead poisoning hasn't been an issue of concern, at least at a species-wide level.

We haven't evolved, we have just gained knowledge and technical ability. As you say, our minds are still the same, we are the same selfish brutes as always. If anything, we have gotten worse in general, just read the lack of compassion for anyone else as soon as there is a price to be paid for that compassion. Sure, we talk a big game like with the Penn State deal where it doesn't cost extra to show compassion, but medical care? Hell no, get lead out of av gas? WAAAA.... Anything where there is a price attached, is "**** you buddy, I got mine, you get your own." in 7000 years we actually have managed to degrade our standards of humanity and allowed greed to rule. General intelligence has declined 10 points in 50 years.

Last edited:
We haven't evolved, we have just gained knowledge and technical ability. As you say, our minds are still the same, we are the same selfish brutes as always. If anything, we have gotten worse in general, just read the lack of compassion for anyone else as soon as there is a price to be paid for that compassion. Sure, we talk a big game like with the Penn State deal where it doesn't cost extra to show compassion, but medical care? Hell no, get lead out of av gas? WAAAA.... Anything where there is a price attached, is "**** you buddy, I got mine, you get your own." in 7000 years we actually have managed to degrade our standards of humanity and allowed greed to rule. General intelligence has declined 10 points in 50 years.
Very interesting perspective Henning. Perhaps you've ready different history books than I have but I would hardly say that the past was a clean slate compared to now.

Very interesting perspective Henning. Perhaps you've ready different history books than I have but I would hardly say that the past was a clean slate compared to now.

Where did I say there was ever a clean slate? It has never existed, I said we haven't advanced and have somewhat declined with exponential population growth since the 1860s.

How do you define evolution? If survival of the fittest insures that the species adapts, then I would say that is the last thing we're doing. Some of the stupidest, laziest, people on earth are being paid to have as many children as possible. Look at someone with a proven genetic disease, they still have a RIGHT to reproduce as much as they want. As far as breeding altruistic qualities into humans, I don't know if that is genetic.

Our ONLY hope from an "evolutionary" standpoint is genetic engineering.

Even worse, we now save people who should be dead in the eyes of nature and they breed as well diluting the gene pool.

Hmm.. Murphey... Brain Damage... .... .... maybe! :)

Personally, I don't believe that lead is 1/10th the villain that it's made out to be. I've handled 60/40 solder most every day of my life since I was 10 years old. I used to hold it in my mouth. I worked in my uncle's gas station in the 60's as a teen, pumping thousands of gallons of highly leaded fuel and taking zero precautions. I'm 60 now and I'm still considered to be a pretty sharp engineer.

And BTW, lead does not cause cancer.

Personally, I don't believe that lead is 1/10th the villain that it's made out to be. I've handled 60/40 solder most every day of my life since I was 10 years old. I used to hold it in my mouth. I worked in my uncle's gas station in the 60's as a teen, pumping thousands of gallons of highly leaded fuel and taking zero precautions. I'm 60 now and I'm still considered to be a pretty sharp engineer.

And BTW, lead does not cause cancer.

I do know a guy who got mild lead poisoning from soldering, but (no kidding...) he used to put his soldering iron in his coffee to warm it up.

He had no long-term effects after they figured out why he didn't feel well...

And his soldering iron hated it too, I'm sure. What a dolt.

I always smell the fuel during my pre flight... And yes it inevitably gets all over my hands. I never put any thought into the effects. I've always kind of liked the smell of fuel too :dunno:

How do you define evolution? If survival of the fittest insures that the species adapts, then I would say that is the last thing we're doing. Some of the stupidest, laziest, people on earth are being paid to have as many children as possible. Look at someone with a proven genetic disease, they still have a RIGHT to reproduce as much as they want. As far as breeding altruistic qualities into humans, I don't know if that is genetic.

Our ONLY hope from an "evolutionary" standpoint is genetic engineering.

Sounds like eugenics to me. How did that work out for you last time you tried it? :stirpot:

Back