100Hr vs. Annual

RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
A question that I have wondered about for some time. What exactly is the difference between a 100Hr inspection on say a 172 versus an annual? Do they still tear down everything during the 100hr like they do on an annual? or is the 100hr a more basic inspection and the annual is the major teardown?
Thanks

A question that I have wondered about for some time. What exactly is the difference between a 100Hr inspection on say a 172 versus an annual? Do they still tear down everything during the 100hr like they do on an annual? or is the 100hr a more basic inspection and the annual is the major teardown?
Thanks

The simple answer. Same inspection, a 100 hour inspection can be signed off by an A&P and an Annual must be signed off by an A&P with Inspection Authorization.

Otherwise it's the same inspection.

Thanks! I have read it is mostly the same inspection but never knew the details. Would love to watch one being completed sometime.

Thanks! I have read it is mostly the same inspection but never knew the details. Would love to watch one being completed sometime.

Read FAR 43 Appendix D

Get in touch with a mechanic. I just finished working with my mechanic on my annual. You really learn a lot about your aircraft.

The simple answer. Same inspection, a 100 hour inspection can be signed off by an A&P and an Annual must be signed off by an A&P with Inspection Authorization.

To add, the 100 hour is required for a rental/for hire aircraft.

Petty much on a 172.

Differences are the annual inspection conformity statement and the IA letters after A&P number

No, you are mistaken. Straight rental aircraft do not require a 100 hour. Aircraft rented and used for instruction do require a 100 hour inspection. Aircraft used for hire require a 100 hour. "For hire" refers to aircraft used in air taxi operations, not aircraft alone rented out to pilots. I can rent out my personal airplane to another pilot and all it needs is a current annual. If someone wants to rent an airplane and a pilot to take him somewhere, it needs to have been inspected within the previous 100 hours and you better have a part 135 certificate. I suppose someone could rent an airplane and hire a pilot separately as long as the pilot is not connected with the entity owning the aircraft in any way and it would be a part 91 operation and an annual would suffice.

Last edited:

For hire yes.. Other situations, it depends.

Fact is, most people just do them, unless it is their sole plane and they don't feel the need to.

I meant for rental/hire in a flight school application. I'm aware it doesn't apply to "private" renting. As usual, I failed to articulate what I meant through the keyboard:(

I meant for rental/hire in a flight school application. I'm aware it doesn't apply to "private" renting. As usual, I failed to articulate what I meant through the keyboard:(

What you are referring to is known as 141 school, which have their maintenance requirements dictated by the FAA in their operations certificate. I've yet to see one that isn't on a 100 hour schedule

What you are referring to is known as 141 school, which have their maintenance requirements dictated by the FAA in their operations certificate. I've yet to see one that isn't on a 100 hour schedule

Aircraft rented out and used for instruction require 100 inspections. Parts 141 or 61, it doesn't matter; they both require them.

It's not a matter of public or private rental. Rental, by itself, does not drive the requirement for 100 hour inspections.

Aircraft rented out and used for instruction require 100 inspections. Parts 141 or 61, it doesn't matter; they both require them.

When you own the aircraft and give instruction in it, it requires a 100 hour inspection or an annual every 100 hours.

that is not dependent upon who owns it, weather it be a school or a private owner does not matter.

my point was part 141 operators will not be issued a certificate until their maintenance plan is approved. They work and operate under a completely different set of rules, part 141.

When you own the aircraft and give instruction in it, it requires a 100 hour inspection or an annual every 100 hours.

that is not dependent upon who owns it, weather it be a school or a private owner does not matter.

my point was part 141 operators will not be issued a certificate until their maintenance plan is approved. They work and operate under a completely different set of rules, part 141.

I have obtained and operated a Part 141 school and as an Inspector had oversight of a Part 141 school.

First of all, their is no "maintenance requirements dictated by the FAA in their operations certificate". The "operating certificate" simply states the name of the school, address, FAA assigned number and it grants them the privileged to operate as a provisional or full part 141.

The only mention for aircraft maintenance comes here:

14 CFR 141.39 Aircraft

(a)
(3) Is maintained and inspected in accordance with the requirements for aircraft operated for hire under part 91, subpart E, of this chapter;

(b)(3) Is maintained and inspected in accordance with the requirements for aircraft operated for hire under part 91, subpart E of this chapter, or in accordance with equivalent maintenance and inspection from the foreign aviation authority's requirements;

So there is no "approval of a maintenance plan" as long as the operator can show he complies with the applicable provisions of 14 CFR Part 91.

I have obtained and operated a Part 141 school and as an Inspector had oversight of a Part 141 school.

First of all, their is no "maintenance requirements dictated by the FAA in their operations certificate". The "operating certificate" simply states the name of the school, address, FAA assigned number and it grants them the privileged to operate as a provisional or full part 141.

The only mention for aircraft maintenance comes here:

14 CFR 141.39 Aircraft

(a)
(3) Is maintained and inspected in accordance with the requirements for aircraft operated for hire under part 91, subpart E, of this chapter;

(b)(3) Is maintained and inspected in accordance with the requirements for aircraft operated for hire under part 91, subpart E of this chapter, or in accordance with equivalent maintenance and inspection from the foreign aviation authority's requirements;

So there is no "approval of a maintenance plan" as long as the operator can show he complies with the applicable provisions of 14 CFR Part 91.

You mean like 91.409-f
O
91.415?
Where the administrator can require a change in programs or maintenance requirements.

You mean like 91.409-f
O
91.415?
Where the administrator can require a change in programs or maintenance requirements.

(e) Large airplanes (to which part 125 is not applicable), turbojet multiengine airplanes, turbopropeller-powered multiengine airplanes, and turbine-powered rotorcraft.

(f) Selection of inspection program under paragraph (e) of this section. The registered owner or operator of each airplane or turbine-powered rotorcraft described in paragraph (e) of this section must select, identify in the aircraft maintenance records, and use one of the following programs for the inspection of the aircraft:

Which Part 141 school operates the type aircraft specified in paragraph (e) ?

Back