100 Jets

Depends on if the deposits were refundable. They usually are if the airplane doesn't come in on time or meeting certain performance guarantees.

What happens is that the early deposit becomes an investment - you're pretty certain that the airplane will be more expensive when it's finally in production, and that some folks will pay a premium for your "position" in line. You basically sell your position to someone new and take a profit. You also run the risk of the company going belly up, but that's a pretty slight risk with Honda.

I think that in 10 years Honda will be a dominant player and will be eating steadily into Cessna's lead.

Look at the numbers. Hondajet is faster on 35 percent less fuel than a Citatiion with comparable cabin space/load/range numbers. That's huge.

My look at the Hondajet and extensive conversations with the designer-now-president have me convinced that Honda entering the market is nothing short of huge. I'm supposed to fly it in a few weeks. I'll let you know how well it works.

larrysb said:
On the other hand, we'll see how it does post-certification. It seems like these early estimates are pretty optimistic on just about everything that ever flew. It's what it does once Uncle Sam is done with you that counts.

I congratulate them though on booking so many orders so quickly. That's a heck of a feat when you think about it.

One wonders how many millions/billions have been spent on this project already.
Well, in typical Honda fashion, the flight testing has already addressed virtually all certification issues. Fujino thinks the prototype will pass certification NOW and Honda is pursuing its type certificate and production certificate concurrently -- which is yet another feat.

Honda has employed the same strategy in just about every other field it's expanded into. Study the market extensively, and then come out with a product that seems anything but developmental. Heck, they've been working on a jet for 20 years.

Ken Ibold said:
Look at the numbers. Hondajet is faster on 35 percent less fuel than a Citatiion with comparable cabin space/load/range numbers. That's huge.

My look at the Hondajet and extensive conversations with the designer-now-president have me convinced that Honda entering the market is nothing short of huge. I'm supposed to fly it in a few weeks. I'll let you know how well it works.

Ooh, you lucky dog! Um, if you're sick or something I'd be happy to go in your place. I'll even write an article about it for ya. For FREE! :yes:

I have no doubt that Honda will live up to their claims. They don't bother entering a market unless they can come out with a better product than everyone else. Compared to other VLJ's (is this even really a VLJ, or is it just VLJ operating costs?), it's faster and has more cabin room.

Am I the only one who noticed the engine change? The original Honda engine was the HF118, now they're saying HF120. My crazy memory for numbers comes in handy sometimes. :D

Back