100 hr.

C172capt

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
BonanzaPilot
What would you guys consider to be the average length of a 100 hr. inspection for a light twin, such as a Baron? Around 2 weeks?

Inspection only, inspection and typical repairs?

How many mechanics?

If it doesn't need to many repairs and I could get right on it I'd shoot for under a week by myself

Two weeks of what? The scope of a 100 hour is the same as an annual. It shouldn't take more than a day if it's one the mechanic has seen the last time around.

Question is not that simple... A Barron is approx 40hrs to complete the inspection. So it depends how many bodies are working it. Now a 310 is less hours and a Navajo is many more.

Now with that said, if there were many airworthy squawks that needed to be fixed it will be longer. Just the inspection should not take 2 weeks.

What would you guys consider to be the average length of a 100 hr. inspection for a light twin, such as a Baron? Around 2 weeks?

Two answers:

1) about the same amount of time for an annual inspection
2) depends on the number of resources the shop puts into it. Could be as short as a day, as long as ??. No real average, per se. It's generally about 35 hours of shop labor for the inspection, excluding any repairs.

as noted the 35-40 man*hours is about right. However you really can't put more than 2 people on it and get a 1-1 impact on hours. the 3rd mechanic has diminishing returns.

as noted the 35-40 man*hours is about right. However you really can't put more than 2 people on it and get a 1-1 impact on hours. the 3rd mechanic has diminishing returns.

Thanks.

Two weeks of what? The scope of a 100 hour is the same as an annual. It shouldn't take more than a day if it's one the mechanic has seen the last time around.

You gotta be shi**ing me. No way in hell can that be done on a Baron in one day.

Also depends on wether parts are needed and available. My annual on the Travelair was usually a week if all was going good and no parts needed.

In manufacturing that is called the "9 pregnant women theory", in which you should be able to get 9 pregnant women to make a baby in a month. Doesn't work that way.

depends on the A&P. Some have better pens than others

:lol:

Now a lot of time "with" the plane can be saved with good prep. AD search done, all parts and consumables ready, plane cleaned before arrival etc.

Most singles could easily fall into one day with such prep, and for a light twin a good crew, well prepared and familiar with the type two days would probably be sufficient.

That's the extreme end of short though!

In manufacturing that is called the "9 pregnant women theory", in which you should be able to get 9 pregnant women to make a baby in a month. Doesn't work that way.

I have found two to be the best for anything sub cabin class. Things go quickly when I can chase the guy with the screw gun around with a flashlight, a mirror and a can of lube!

I would like to see you walk in the door at 0800 and remove 2 cowls, complete an appliance list, do two compression checks, remove and clean all the plugs, swing the gear, remove the interior, do the inspection, check compliance on all ADs, (eng,prop, a/f, and appliances) complete the billing, and sign it off before 1600.

If you can do that I want to take lessons.

I would like to see you walk in the door at 0800 and remove 2 cowls, complete an appliance list, do two compression checks, remove and clean all the plugs, swing the gear, remove the interior, do the inspection, check compliance on all ADs, (eng,prop, a/f, and appliances) complete the billing, and sign it off before 1600.

If you can do that I want to take lessons.

Well there's your problem. You're going home an hour early!

Back in my old flying club, we used to do 172/182 annuals by lunch time, using three club members, the A&P/IA, and the mechanic's helper son.

One of us would fly over from our home airport (about 20 minute flight, long enough to warm up the oil), and the other two would drive over to the mechanic's field. We'd meet up at 7:00am. First thing we'd do is hand the logs off to the IA. One member would start opening inspection ports, one would work with the son to remove the cowling, and the third member would strip the interior. After the compression check, the son would clean the plugs while the other member drain and replaced the oil. After everything was opened up, then we'd move on to removing wheels, repacking bearings, replacing brake pads, etc. As the IA checked the various areas, the inspection plates would get closed up again.

By around noon we're ready for a engine runup, and by 1:00pm, the paperwork is complete and we're heading out for lunch. Keep in mind we tried to stay on top of things in this airplane so we weren't deferring maintenance until the annual, and we all were experienced with the process. But yeah, five people were working on the plane at once.

Back