$100 hamburger out of DEN area

peevee

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
POABanned1

Last edited:
One possible stop is LHX. Their isn't a restaurant on the field but their is one in walking distance down the road at the golf course and it isn't half bad.

Another is of course to COS and head over to the airplane restaurant right off the airport.. again walkable.

FTG is another one with a decent place in the FBO to eat. Probably a short flight though assuming you are flying out of APA.

Carl

KGXY, Greeley-Weld, is an easy airport to fly into with a 10,000 foot runway. I've heard many reports there is an excellent breakfast burrito/burger place there.

On the way up there, you'll get nice views of the Front Range without getting the bumps. (Lots of weekend traffic at KBDU, including gliders and parachutists; KLMO, including parachutists, and KEIK.) Stay between 287 and I-25 and you should be okay. Check the charts, etc.

Where are you starting from?
KAPA's Perfect Landing is a nice, somewhat upscale place to eat.
KBJC's Runway Grille has great views, but the food is not great, I'm afraid.
KBDU is a smaller runway, 4100 feet, but the FBO is great (Journey's Aviation) and Boulder has tons of good food choices, even an afternoon visit. Don't think they have courtesy cars, though.
KCOS has a restaurant in an airplane!
KFNL - Ft. Collins - has a nice FBO with courtesy cars and ample local restaurants.

To the northeast of Denver...
KAKO has a big runway, but not much there nor in the surrounding town.
KSTK - Sterling - popular cross country site, but I haven't been.
KSNY and Cabela's is tough to justify now that they have one in South Denver.
KCYS - Cheyenne - is certain to be windy. Very windy.

Hope this helps. Feel welcome to PM or EMail me if you need more info. Happy flying!

KGLD - Butterfly Cafe in the main terminal.

Wichita. Stearman Field. Get her used to long flights now. Ha. Kidding.

It is awesome though.

$100?

Go around the pattern twice and have some McD's with you...

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
A comment on bumps
* you will have bumps if you head west (or northwest) over the hills from FNL - something about the front range right there makes it always bumpy

* you will have bumps south of Denver/north of COS if you fly south along the front range from FNL

I tell my pax that it's the result of wind over the mountains and the aircraft can handle it easily. So far they haven't laughed at me. At 16.5 you'll avoid most of the bumps once you are there but the wave can be impressive.

You've got a pretty good list of places. There are a few others: Salida (car available), Raton (they'll burn a burger in the FBO), Rawlins (has a car but then you're in Rawlins) - lots of airports have cars but it might take a phone call to figure it out.

I think 1v6 has a car available, Murphey has mentioned it IIRC.

One possible stop is LHX. Their isn't a restaurant on the field but their is one in walking distance down the road at the golf course and it isn't half bad.

Another is of course to COS and head over to the airplane restaurant right off the airport.. again walkable.

FTG is another one with a decent place in the FBO to eat. Probably a short flight though assuming you are flying out of APA.

Carl
Grab the crew car at LHX and drive into town, about 10 min. There's a great diner with the classic diner menu.

We're coming out of FNL. I've heard the same about GXY but never made it over there, just never wanted to I guess.
I'd like to hit SNY to see a flagship cabelas, the one here in thornton is an outpost store, not as impressive but again the WAF will be very low for that anyway.
I might just borrow some ox and bomb it up to 16,5 and try to get above the bumps and see how it goes in the high country, not sure yet. It makes a better impression when I can show her I can make SBS or GNB in 30 or 45 minutes instead of a 2.5 or 3.5 hour drive.
Thanks for the input, for such a beautiful place to fly I've always found CO didn't offer much more than the scenery when flying, meaning no interesting places to go eat or any of the usual stuff

I'd (she would too) like to see the space museum in KS but that might be a little far.

What are you flying? Winter time with snow, rain and winds is not exactly the best time to head up to SBS or Granby by way of Corona Pass.

is there anything to eat say, around 1v6 or somewhere down there? That could be a pretty nice flight?

No cars at Canon City (1V6). County attorney declared a couple years ago that only county employees can use county property. Only 2 options - a cab that costs $22.50 each way or a rent car for $45/day. At least those were the options and costs last year.

No food at the airport, the tiny diner closed up some time ago.

On the other hand, you can fly over SuperMax and wave to Ted Kaczynski. I always thought it odd there's no restricted, no warning, no nothing over the many prisons down there. Takiing off on 29, the left turnout takes you just north of the SuperMax.

Warning if you go - the USAF training facility at PUB use Canon City extensively. "Tiger" call sign indicates they've solo'd. Sometimes the Academy cadets use it for T&G.

Also, commercial jumping at Canon City. Watch out.

Always get FF because the students are not always watching out the window. They claim the TCAS installed alerts them but think about it. New students, with lots of gadgets in the airplane, not familiar with the area, far too much head-down time keeping track of the gadgets. I've had 2 closer-than-I-like events. They are NOT on FF frequencies, BTW! And not always on 122.75, either.

At one point USAF claimed it was "security risk" to let the general public know where the students were flying, to let other aircraft know what freqs were being used. After extensive discussions with the FAA, the many flight schools along the Front Range and many aviation groups in the state, they finally got the message that the danger of accidents was more critical than "security". So the students announce on 122.75 when they are leaving Academy area for practice areas, and hence returns. Other than that, the Academy pilots are ONLY talking to KAFF. Fortunately, COS pays attention when you're on FF.

Fortunately, the PUB students (Doss has the contract) understand PUB freqs and 122.75.

Gah, too much headache for this trip, maybe another time then. GLD is sounding better and better.
COS wouldn't be bad, I could probably transit the bravo and get approach to work me terminal enroute.

FWIW I did all of my training out of KCOS flying all over the local area here and Academy traffic was never an issue.

it's only an hour, really. It makes for a $325 pie though LOL
she's going to be such a pain I'm not sure if I just bomb down to APA for the quick 20 minute hop and back or keep her up long enough to mellow out and maybe start to enjoy it.

PIE sounds really, really good though :goofy:

Bananas Foster French Toast at Perfect Landing for brunch.

Make it a short flight, demonstrate it can be fun with good food.

Bananas Foster French Toast at Perfect Landing for brunch.

Make it a short flight, demonstrate it can be fun with good food.

This.

Then Wichita to Stearman and sit on the porch on a perfect Spring day next year.

Heh.

Back