10 Years Ago...

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I handed over the check for the Aztruck (Aztec), a 1969 Piper PA-23-250.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...n-airplane-wacha-got.26383/page-4#post-394410

1931259_508305963903_1671_n.jpg

She was a worn beast - having been on 135 and 9,000 hours on the airframe with dents in the nose from the ice that had flung off of the props in icing. But she had been a local plane for the previous 5 years or so. My instructor/A&P/friend made me a deal I couldn't turn down on it. If I'd had my druthers, I would've ended up with a 310, but life has a funny way of sometimes getting you what you need instead of what you want.

At the time, I didn't know what exactly was going to happen, and little did I know the ride that would be in store for me. I had the idea for Cloud Nine and a few months later founded the organization and applied for IRS 501(c)3 status. The Aztec was an integral part of that plan, but I also wasn't sure whether it would ever actually go anywhere. I remember filling the tanks for the first time, and the $400 fuel bill made my wallet hurt. I knew nothing about aircraft ownership, didn't have a multi rating, but I had a dream and a plane.

I got my multi rating, and since the insurance required 25 hours of dual anyway I spent that time not only doing the important training, but also doing trips to help learn the capabilities of the plane. Of course try as we might, we never found ice. That wouldn't happen until going to @tonycondon 's wedding in October of that year when, of course, I didn't have my instructor on board.

I could not have had a better first plane. The Aztec was rugged beyond belief, forgiving, and above all, capable. I flew that plane from coast to coast, including a trip from LA to NYC in one day with 47 chihuahuas. I crossed the Gulf of Mexico with it 6 times. I made numerous trips to remote regions of uncontrolled airspace in Canada with it. The plane had the glide ratio of a Steinway, an attribute that came in handy. Much flying around thunderstorms. It would handle any ice thrown at it, and would handle any turbulence you put it through. While regional pilots were literally crying on the radio, the Aztruck just droned along, never missing a beat. I learned a great deal about owning and optimizing an airplane, skills that would make me a good caretaker for the 310, 414, and now MU-2.

I owned the Aztec almost exactly 4 years and put just under 1,000 hours on it with so many firsts and so many memories. The reality is most of those hours were in the first three years of ownership. By year 4 I had decided to sell the plane, as the 310 had been donated and I saw that I couldn't justify owning two planes. Year 4 had under 50 hours on the plane. The Aztec was pushing 10,000 hours TTAF and was having a number of aging airframe issues popping up that made it a difficult plane to sell, plus one engine past TBO, paint that had gotten fairly ratty, and an interior that had shown the wear and tear of nearly 750 dogs and cats being transported. However, the right buyer came along - Texas State Technical College in KHRL. They were looking for a good airplane for the students to work on, practice run-ups, etc. and wanted a plane that wasn't completely beaten up and unairworthy. When the buyer first approached me about it, he did so very humbly, sounding as if he'd been yelled at by a number of owners who thought their airplanes were "too good" for such a fate. My response was, "That would be a good use for this plane." We struck a deal, and I sold the plane for the same purchase price I had initially bought it for 4 years prior. Not bad for 1,000 hours and no engine or prop overhauls.

As part of the deal, I agreed to deliver the plane from Ohio (where I was then living) to KHRL, giving me the satisfaction of the plane's final flight. When arriving at KHRL, I asked for, and received permission for, a low pass. Shutting down those engines and hearing the gyros spool down for the last time was very hard.

I could never have imagined the adventure over the past 10 years that plane started me down, but it's been a great ride. 2,500 or so multi hours later having flown the Aztec, 310, Navajos, Cheyennes, Commanders, the 414, and now the MU-2, all I can say is I've been very blessed.

A little worse for wear with a few more dents in the nose, I got one last picture with the old girl before heading home.

537910_586569069013_1550647966_n.jpg

If I could "like" a post more than once I would do so with yours Ted.

One of the most under-rated, underappreciated airplanes out there.
I have difficulty imagining parting with mine (for anything short of a turboprop).

Reactions: Ted
Ah yes...listening to the props sling ice chunks on to the fuselage at night with a bang. Picking my way through thunderstorms at night, fond memories from years ago.

I still remember that POA impromptu Pizza party at LOM when by kismet a bunch of folks were flying through and you had the conflict with the medevac chopper on final ( pilot did the right thing and sought you out in the terminal and apologized) and I watched the Aztec descend on final from pattern altitude. I never saw a glide path like that. It was like an elevator.

I still remember that POA impromptu Pizza party at LOM when by kismet a bunch of folks were flying through and you had the conflict with the medevac chopper on final ( pilot did the right thing and sought you out in the terminal and apologized) and I watched the Aztec descend on final from pattern altitude. I never saw a glide path like that. It was like an elevator.

When Tony flew with me at Gaston's in that plane he commented "Wow, this thing really is a brick."

That was one of many brick approaches performed in that plane. Well, I suppose brick approaches are kinda my thing as a whole.

When Tony flew with me at Gaston's in that plane he commented "Wow, this thing really is a brick."

That was one of many brick approaches performed in that plane. Well, I suppose brick approaches are kinda my thing as a whole.

My friends call mine in the 'Truk "Space Shuttle" approaches...;)

I remember when you delivered the AzTruck to KHRL - I was listening-in on LiveATC, and thought, "I bet he flies a low pass."

And (of course) you did.

After you had landed, I had this image in my mind of you sitting with the engines idling, stalling for just a moment, knowing full well that pulling the mixture would be the instant when a plane became a training object, never again to taste flight. 500 miles away, I was a little bit emotional about it (but I'm a softie, too).

Pictures in my mind's eye of many rides at Gaston's, including The Great Mud Fest.

I know they're "just machines," but oh! what machines they are. You and Laurie allowed that particular machine to go out in a great way (and she lives on in the Cloud 9 logo, too!).

@SCCutler is exactly right. I did sit there for a moment, stalking before pulling those mixtures back for the last time.

I also took my time listening to those gyros spook down, again for the last time.

I had something in my eye then.

Do you have any desire to go back and see it? Or is it best to leave that chapter closed?

Do you have any desire to go back and see it? Or is it best to leave that chapter closed?

Oh yes, I’d love to go back and see it - pat it on the nose and reminisce to anyone who will listen. But as you know my life isn’t exactly dormant at the moment, so it’s unlikely I’ll get a chance in the near future.

Cool plane! My first flight in a twin was when my old man rented an Aztec to fly us down to KSNA for the week. 30 years later, while studying for my first actual twin flying (centerline thrust mil aircraft notwithstanding), I wonder if he actually remembered what he was doing when he signed for that plane :) His plane then and now was/is a Bonanza, and my guess is that the last "twin" he flew was a P-2V, unknowable years before. Actually that doesn't even count because it had the 2 jets in addition to the recips.......which would put his last real twin as an SNB in the late 1950's, over 30 years prior. Good thing nothing bad happened!

Ah, you never know... as long as she stays more or less intact, maybe somebody someday will say "You know it would be great to restore the old girl, make it a project, crowd fund it..." Yeah, I'm a sucker for a machine with a soul.. to me they're like dogs, you just got to give them enough love and they'll return it tenfold. Don

I just wish someone had pics/video of the Great Aztec Puddle Transit... It looked like a supersonic vapor cone. :)

And I'm not so sure about the "Steinway" thing. I think the Steinway might have a better glide ratio than the Aztec. That thing could come down impressively fast.

Ah, you never know... as long as she stays more or less intact, maybe somebody someday will say "You know it would be great to restore the old girl, make it a project, crowd fund it..." Yeah, I'm a sucker for a machine with a soul.. to me they're like dogs, you just got to give them enough love and they'll return it tenfold. Don

It's certainly possible, but highly unlikely. A&P student planes get a really abusive life, and by definition they're being used to train people who don't know how to work on airplanes. To resurrect a plane that's been subjected to that would take a full restoration by someone who's dedicated and is essentially willing to check and replace everything.

However, I personally don't have any emotional attachment to it flying again. It was a good plane, but it was far from a rare, pristine example. As much sentimental attachment I have to that plane, I can't see undertaking a restoration on it myself. I would rather spend my time on other projects.

Back