10-core processor, really?

My sister designed and later sold lasers and measurement equipment. She told me that she lost a sale one time because the other salmon told the customer "Their system is 8 bit while ours is 8 1/2 bit." Which meant nothing. But he told here later "N+1 is greater than N even if it means nothing." People will buy based on N+1.

Now me? I'd use 10 cores. And probably will soon.

John

Much larger have been out for quite a while. I just ordered a bunch of 22 Core's (E5-2699v4) for VMWare hosts. When you're licensed by the socket at $30k each, it makes a lot of sense to double your core count for a couple of thousand.

Much larger have been out for quite a while. I just ordered a bunch of 22 Core's (E5-2699v4) for VMWare hosts. When you're licensed by the socket at $30k each, it makes a lot of sense to double your core count for a couple of thousand.

Yup. Exactly. It's a datacenter/cluster chip (for now!).

Finally! I've been waiting forever to upgrade until this guy got released (codename was Broadwell-E). Now if only Alienware would come out and ship this already.

The pricing is a bit weird, I must admit. Intel also has a E5-2640 v4 which is a 10-core Xeon, also with 25 MB cache, for $939.

That's like the war of the razor blades. We are up to 5 when two did the job just fine.

I still use the TRAC-IIs. They are getting hard to find!

I found that gilette intentionally degraded the quality of two blade razors once the 3-blade came out.

I think it's more like the war of the fancy colors and sounds on the computers.

My floppy disk 8088-10 with an EGA card booted at the same speed as my laptop with 1920x1080 display, but it is processing a lot more now.

In 5 years, we'll wonder how we went without 10 cores.

My sister designed and later sold lasers and measurement equipment. She told me that she lost a sale one time because the other salmon told the customer "Their system is 8 bit while ours is 8 1/2 bit." Which meant nothing. But he told here later "N+1 is greater than N even if it means nothing." People will buy based on N+1.

John

Sounds fishy to me.

John

Personally, if a salmon told me such a thing, I would think it was fishy.

John

Is your sister's name is Lana ? I just bought the same stuff from a girl named Lana

SNL had a skit about '5 blades!!!!' back when we were in the 2 blades stage.

The fun part is to try to compare this behemoth with current competition:
3GHz 10-core for $1600
vs
4GHz 8-core for $120
Who in their right might would downgrade to 3GHz (even with extra 2 cores) and pay premium for the degradation in performance?
I am sticking with my AMD.

I'm not really sure who the audience is for this thing. Those that genuinely need a huge number of cores will be using Xeon processors anyway. Most consumers will benefit more from a higher clock rate.

Still takes 1:35 to boot windows.

Still takes 1:35 to boot windows.
Must be using an SSD... :D
A) What???
B) Why? Maybe I misunderstand. But SSD normally boots faster.

Example: my Win7 with an 8-core AMD boots in under 10 seconds from my SSD. Minute:35 sounds VERY painful.
And I don't think I could justify $1600 to boot a few seconds slower (since the Intel is running much slower, at 3GHz).

So why is a SSD called a SSD? The D stands for Drive, correct? Is there a drive?

'D' sometimes stand for disk as well. But an SSD has neither a disk nor a drive motor.

Chalk it up as an anachronism.

"Drive" and "disk" can refer to non-mechanical, or even purely virtual storage spaces (for example, "ramdisks").

Rich

SSD = Solid State Drive. Understandable anachronism for the Drive part but that is so last year. "Solid" is too old now. I can't wait for the new-age Liquid State Drives. LSD is guaranteed to increase our performance!

"Drive" and "disk" can refer to non-mechanical, or even purely virtual storage spaces (for example, "ramdisks").

I had some software that would make a "ramtape" once. Heh. Not kidding. They didn't call it that, though.

Essentially used RAM to stash the output of "tar" and something else came along later and transferred it off of the machine to spinny disks later.

(BTW that's my new favorite slang for old school hard drives now... "Spinny disk"...)

And then there is the virtual disk.. Which is just a file. Which may or may not reside on a ssd.

SSD = Solid State Drive. Understandable anachronism for the Drive part but that is so last year. "Solid" is too old now. I can't wait for the new-age Liquid State Drives. LSD is guaranteed to increase our performance!

How do you feel about "Cut" & "Paste"?

Back