1 DEAD, 3 INJURED 172 CRASHES IN RIVERSIDE COUNTY, CA

If this was N5243E, it looks like it was a botched go around at 2057z

Certainly they had better be smallish folk, to keep the W&B legal. I carried four in my Skyhawk exactly once.

This is terrible. I flew there last Saturday morning with the wife and my 13 year old son. Flew the 160 HP C172. The DA altitude has been pretty high in SoCal but I didn't notice any issues. We went to PSP which was reporting DA at 5000. Leaving F70 was sporty. Tons and tons of planes coming and going. Everything felt rushed. I had a guy reporting downwind turning base when I took the runway. He got mad that I didn't wait for him. He was still on base with tons of traffic behind him. This was early morning so I can just imagine the craziness later in the day.

So sad. This was a dad, who killed himself and injured his 3 children. Some rumors are he was just a student pilot and others say he might have just passed his check ride and this was his first flight. The kids looked pretty small so I don't think weight was a factor. The problem was somewhere between the seat and the yoke. https://www.gofundme.com/f/newman-boys-rec?utm_campaign=p_cp share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer&mibextid=S66gvF&fbclid=IwAR17kxEa-HuV5klM4a_sWD9Uv1-H5Ico2f2v_gOADAoSwIrnEhXLm3itp0w
The photo of the family and the accompanying text are tough to view. Considering the amount of fuel around the aircraft in photos I've seen, I'm thankful there was no post-crash fire. Blessings to that family.

Last edited:
Back