1.0 hours helicopter time

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I write this from Ohio, where I drove out last night with my instructor. He bought a Hughes 269A helicopter that he was going to fly home, and so he asked me if I wanted to come along for the trip. Having no helicopter time, and knowing that I would get some good exposure, I couldn't say no.

Today we went up and played with the thing a bit. I got an introductory lesson. We went over basic operation of the helicopter. I was cruising along in the thing by myself just fine. Hovering, forget about it. The collective and the pedals I can do fine, it's just the stick that is too sensitive. I can maneuver it in a direction, just not hold it still.

It is a very different feeling to being in a fixed wing. I'm already used to being off the ground, what I am not used to is just rising up off the ground, and just how the movement of a helicopter differs from a plane. Also, the autorotation is FAR more controlled than I was expecting. While I have certain inherent problems with a vehicle that propells itself vertically on brute force, I have to say a helicopter engine failure, after having gone through a few simulated ones, was no more frightening than in an airplane. If anything less, since you need so much less space to land the helicopter. I definitely feel like I had a number of misconceptions about helicopters that have now been changed. We'll see how tomorrow's trip goes.

Am I addicted? Nah, I really can't say I have the same sort of addiction for this that I have for fixed wing. Plus, at $250/hr for a rental, it's a lot of money! I do think it's a worthwhile experience, and am glad I gave it a whirl. I certainly won't turn down more helicopter rides. :)

I'm glad you won't cross over to the dark side. We don't need any more auto-rotating egos! :D

Cool, Ted, but you got off easy! You can be pretty ham-handed in a Hughes/Schweizer or an Enstrom, but you can't get away with that in most other helicopters including Bells and Robinsons.

For an interesting essay on hovering, see an article (not written by me) on my web site:

http://bobanddusty.com/aviation/zen.html

The funny thing is that hovering is really easy. But only once your mind figures it out, and that takes lots of practice.

Sounds like you made the right choice. I also would not turn down helicopter rides. I got to ride in a variety of helicopters when I was helping a mechanic tune them up at the local flight school. I am sorry to say that I had no idea logging every bit of time in the air was important then. Oh well, I hope to return to helicopters someday but for now its planes and gliders. I dont know about autorotation still, I had to pick up three helicopters that went through a botched autorotation practice run.

I haven't flown many aircraft but ironic enough if I choose to have a single engine failure in a single engine ship it would be a Bell 206. I would feel more confident in a Bell 206 than any fixed wing aircraft I've flown (C-152, PA28).

The hovering thing is simple...it just clicks in your head. In flight school they call it "finding your hover button". It really works that way...one day you can't the next you can. Then the more you relax the better you become...

I have about 10 hours in the front of a Bell 206 (and a few hundred hours in the back). Helicopters are good fun, certainly nothing beats that first time you lift straight up off the pad like an elevator. I'm still partial to my starch wing, though. Too much stuff going on in the helicopter! Do you have any photos of this new bird?

I haven't flown many aircraft but ironic enough if I choose to have a single engine failure in a single engine ship it would be a Bell 206. I would feel more confident in a Bell 206 than any fixed wing aircraft I've flown (C-152, PA28).

It's no accident that the 206 became such a popular ship (in all its variations). It's a shame that Bell is discontinuing production (2010, I think) except for the Long Ranger, but I guess they'd rather be selling more 407's and other ships than Jet Rangers.

Today was 5.6 hours in the rotor-wing bird flying it from Ohio back to PA. Let me tell you, those things are NOT meant for flights that long in one day. Was my rear ever sore after about 30 minutes in the air. We made two stops for fuel along the way, and now (an hour after touching down) it still feels like the ground should be moving. This is the most time I've spent in any aircraft in a while in one day, I suppose the last time was when I did my solo XCs. The 172 is significantly more comfortable than this Hughes.

Overall impression of spending about 8 hours in a helicopter over 2 days: it is very cool, it has a lot of novelty aspect and definitely has some use depending on where you are. For me, it has minimal practical functionality. I think I would feel better about an engine failure in a single-engine rotorcraft than a single-engine fixed wing having been through some simulated engine outs. Definitely recommend that it be tried, but I think I'll stick with fixed wings. I'm not sure I agree with the statement of "It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on" that some people have said, but maybe it just hasn't clicked for me yet. The fixed wing thing didn't click with me on the first try, but that was for different reasons.

I've got some pictures from the trip, which I'll post later.

Ted, I don't suppose you have any dreams of becoming an airline pilot on international routes? :)

Geez, Ted, you sure do luck into some fun flights. Multi time, Helos - by the time you reach 200hrs you'll probably have some dual in a B1 or something.

One of these days... it sure sounds like fun.
Your post adds to what I've heard: for most neophytes and fixed-wing pilots, the basic handling of choppers is not as hard as it looks.
A friend of mine with no flight time at all recently took an intro flight in a Schweizer 300 and did quite well, even with the hovering and taxiing. The instructor also demo'd an autorotation, and my friend was also surprised at how un-hairy that was. He had a blast!

But of course hovering and taxiing are where it becomes a whole 'nother deal; I respect accomplished helicopter pilots even though I feel a little sorry for them. :D

I had a lesson in a helicopter once. Absolutely LOVED it. It was an older kind of Bell.

I truly enjoy flying both (fixed and rotory) on a regular basis. Each have there own quirks like in each phase of training and different aspects of flying. Both can send you to your maker (a heli does seem more willing to do the task:)) I hope to fly and develop in both catergorys in the years to come. I tend to think of it as a PC vs. Mac debate, there is more thinks alike that the other would like to admit...

I seem to recall a rumor that we're getting a Bell 47 (M*A*S*H) here at Clow. We've already got an R22 and an R44. Wonder if one of those is being replaced? I definitely intend to get some chopper time this spring, though I think it'll be for a photo shoot, not training!

Rotor wing vs. fixed wing are remarkably similar. As my instructor put it, it's just a fixed wing with the wings spinning above you. There are a few relatively minor differences in how you fly it control wise, there are some significant differences in its capability, but ultimately it still gets you from point A to point B in the air.

But why can't they make the seats in that rotorwing more comfortable?!

Rotor wing vs. fixed wing are remarkably similar. As my instructor put it, it's just a fixed wing with the wings spinning above you. There are a few relatively minor differences in how you fly it control wise, there are some significant differences in its capability, but ultimately it still gets you from point A to point B in the air.

But why can't they make the seats in that rotorwing more comfortable?!

I hate to disillusion you, but the differences are huge, and if you're going to fly rotorcraft, you better understand them, because things that are ok in a F/W can kill you in a heli, and vice versa.

As to seats, you're flying a tiny trainer. Most adult size helicopters are comfortable. I can fly our R44 for 6 or more hours in a day without fatigue.

I truly enjoy flying both (fixed and rotory) on a regular basis. Each have there own quirks like in each phase of training and different aspects of flying. Both can send you to your maker (a heli does seem more willing to do the task:)) I hope to fly and develop in both catergorys in the years to come. I tend to think of it as a PC vs. Mac debate, there is more thinks alike that the other would like to admit...

Interesting comment, Scott. My experience was that I didn't like switching between categories, and so I ultimately quit flying F/W. Of course, another factor is that my wife hates airplanes and loves helis...

I hate to disillusion you, but the differences are huge, and if you're going to fly rotorcraft, you better understand them, because things that are ok in a F/W can kill you in a heli, and vice versa.

Well obviously, but in terms of basic flying, I was surprised at how similar the basic feel was.

Seeing as I have no intention of flying rotorcraft, though, it won't be an issue. This was a fun experience, but if I decided to get my helicopter license, there would have to be some significant practical advantage to present itself to me since I'm not in the "most fun you can have with your clothes on" camp. At this point, there isn't.

As to seats, you're flying a tiny trainer. Most adult size helicopters are comfortable. I can fly our R44 for 6 or more hours in a day without fatigue.

I figured it had a lot to do with the tiny trainer vs. larger. The seating arrangement isn't what does it in for me, it has more to do with the $250/hr rental fee for something that cruises at half the speed of a 172. For me, I tend to travel more, and so that is where the practicality of flying comes in.

Well obviously, but in terms of basic flying, I was surprised at how similar the basic feel was.
Flying it around when it's already in the air is pretty similar, however there are definitely differences to watch out for. I had a lot of fixed wing time before I ever touched a helicopter so I had a lot habits to relearn, among them; the pedals are not rudder pedals are are used for a different purpose; normally landing is done at virtually full power and you come to a standstill in a hover, something that feels unnatural at first; pushing over which unloads the rotors is a huge no-no; and you need to be very aware of the position of your tail so that it doesn't hit anything, including the ground.

All the time I was taking helicopter lessons I had a job flying fixed wing. I didn't feel I had any problem switching back and forth because they were so different. I never got confused as to which I was flying. For a while there I toyed with the idea of making a career move to helicopters but in the end I decided on high and fast instead of low and slow. In retrospect, that was probably the right decision.

The best seats I've ever sat were in a OH-58. They were like a lawn chair and looking at them you would have serious doubts about your comfort but I liked the firm feel upright position they provided.

You are correct Ted about point A to B flights. That is one of the main reasons I'm flying fixed wing, to get to go places at minimal cost and packing the family with me and sharing the sights and sounds of flight. I just don't have the cash or any helis to fly in my within an 2-3 hour drive to rent. I tossed around an idea of becoming a CFI in rotorwing but I wouldn't relocate for a CFI job.

Seeing as I have no intention of flying rotorcraft, though, it won't be an issue. This was a fun experience, but if I decided to get my helicopter license, there would have to be some significant practical advantage to present itself to me since I'm not in the "most fun you can have with your clothes on" camp. At this point, there isn't.

There's one... I didn't really think of it until I was out flying one day and heard "Janesville Tower, helicopter 1234X is on the ground at home, see ya later." That would be cool. I also like low-and-slow, but a nice taildragger works just as well for that and is cheaper.

There's one... I didn't really think of it until I was out flying one day and heard "Janesville Tower, helicopter 1234X is on the ground at home, see ya later." That would be cool. I also like low-and-slow, but a nice taildragger works just as well for that and is cheaper.

Yeah, but what really makes it great are all the places that you flat out can't land an airplane of any kind. For example, the Tidewater Grille in Havre de Grace, MD, Baltimore's inner harbor at Pier 7, the front lawn of Skytop Lodge in the Poconos, etc.

Back