09J Jekyll Island (Georgia)

One of my favorite posts this week. I constantly am looking for long weekend trips to convince my wife the airplane is a tremendous asset and smart :) purchase.

My question, being a relatively new pilot. How do you typically navigate all for the MOA going down the coast? we would be flying from KHGR so probably head toward the coast south of Norfolk area and take that scenic route.

Look at KHGR -> SAV -> 09J. That misses everything except the R and MOA on the south of Shaw AFB (KSSC), which is easy to swung a little west of. It does go over Alert A-531, but that's only1,500' high, so you'd most likely be above that anyway.

That is 550 nm. KSSI is a few nm less, KFHB (Fernandina Beach, FL) is 27 nm further south.

Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy.

I've been to all three many times; as have many others here. If your heading that way, ask and we'll be happy to toss out suggestions.

Hilton Head is closer to you. I haven't been there yet. Signature is there, so it's a bit pricey at the airport.

Wayne

Our Jekyll Island adventure with the Commander Owners Group. What a great bunch, we had a blast. Ten hours of flying, over an hour of IMC, I did a flying video presentation, and learned more about my commander thanks to the seminars I attended. My blog post also contains video of flights to and from 09J.

Miles- 1084
New Airport 09J- Jekyll Island
Flight time 10.3
IMC 1.3

http://gmflightlog.blogspot.com/2021...ly-in.html?m=1

Spotted my aircraft on the ground in your helo buddy's fly-by video:

helo fly by.JPG

Wish I would have known that was you. We were parked immediately left of you in the 112. I did do a quick walk around of your plane!;)

I might have talked to you. Were you the guy cleaning your belly because you had to park on the grass for a while? Man, those Commanders all had some cherry paint jobs. Made me feel all dowdy and plain.

That was one of the most beautiful flying days I have ever seen. Took several of my family members for aerial tours of Cumberland Island.

Were you the guy cleaning your belly because you had to park on the grass for a while?

That was one of the most beautiful flying days I have ever seen. Took several of my family members for aerial tours of Cumberland Island.

No sir, don't think it was me as we were never parked on the grass. I agree with you on the weather. Went down on Thursday at 4500 & returned on Sunday at 5500 and it was CAVU and smooth as glass both ways.

Look at KHGR -> SAV -> 09J. That misses everything except the R and MOA on the south of Shaw AFB (KSSC), which is easy to swung a little west of. It does go over Alert A-531, but that's only1,500' high, so you'd most likely be above that anyway.

That is 550 nm. KSSI is a few nm less, KFHB (Fernandina Beach, FL) is 27 nm further south.

Easy-peasy, lemon squeezy.

I've been to all three many times; as have many others here. If your heading that way, ask and we'll be happy to toss out suggestions.

Hilton Head is closer to you. I haven't been there yet. Signature is there, so it's a bit pricey at the airport.

Wayne
Baby steps. Thanks. Slowing working my way out from home base. Solo less concern, with wife baby steps.

Back