09J - Jekyll Island, GA

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Took a day trip down to Jekyll Island today. Wheels up from 4A7 at 11:30am and parked and chocked at 09J by 1pm. Picked up flight following out of ATL and had a mostly smooth flight down at 5500'. It got a little bumpy as we got low over the marsh area - tide was out, so there was a lot of exposed dark ground to be heated.

69845_10150294157950437_843000436_15221522_5004877_n.jpg

Once parked at 09J, we weren't sure where to go or what to do. Talked to the guy at Red Bug motors and he recommended a few stops to check out. We ended up with one of their Red Bug Motors electric cars, which REALLY made it nice to get around the island. If you don't want an electric car, you can hoof it for about a mile or so to the first of several bike rental places. The island is covered with bike/walking trails, so it would be pretty easy to find a 'shortcut' from point A to point B most anywhere on the island.

Our first stop was at the 'Rah Bah' for some REALLY fresh boiled shrimp (the boat was parked 100 ft away from our table). Our next trip down will be an overnight trip so we can indulge in their low country boil and some cold beer while watching the sun set. ;)

71673_10150293854510437_843000436_15212776_7082643_n.jpg

The rest of the day was spent cruising in our electric car and a couple of strolls along the mostly vacant beach. It was about 85*F today, but it would have been a little chilly to be playing in the water. Beach chair, good book, and cooler of beverages would have been perfect, though... next time. One of the 'cooler' beaches I've seen was Driftwood Beach on the north end of the island - full of downed trees and driftwood. I bet it would be an amazing sight on a full-moon lit night with the surf crashing against the downed timber.

68857_10150294153735437_843000436_15221382_7063671_n.jpg

72338_10150294154910437_843000436_15221423_7181751_n.jpg

By 4 o'clock, we were ready to head back north. We made one pass down the eastern shoreline, then turned back up the river towards Atlanta.

71508_10150294158335437_843000436_15221538_2595279_n.jpg

It was a great day, and another example of how this 'flying' stuff is so awesome - slept in late this morning, but still made it to the island in time for lunch and random strolls down the beach and was able to make it back home well before dark so we don't feel rushed getting ready for the start of the week tomorrow.

Good stuff!!!!

Jekyll Island is on our short list for places to visit. Thanks for posting pictures and a write up. Looks like a nice weekend get away!

Good stuff!!!!

Jekyll Island is on our short list for places to visit. Thanks for posting pictures and a write up. Looks like a nice weekend get away!

This was our first time there, so this was more of a scouting trip than an 'experience' trip. We found a few places that we will spend more time in next time we go. There is a lot of history to the island that I didn't know about. Apparently in the late 1800's, the whole island was a private international yacht club. There are some old buildings still there from that era that we didn't take time to tour through.

As you can see, the beach is VERY relaxed. I'm not sure if that was due to the end of season, or if it's just not a 'party' beach. The tide was out when we were there, so I'm not sure if there is much 'riding the waves' to be had when tide is in.

Either way... we will definitely go back.

I flew myself and the wife to Jeckyll Island about two years ago. GREAT fun. We took our bicycles with us in the 182 and it made for a great ride around the island.

Looks like a great flight and yes, the weather this weekend was perfect for flying! I did not know your bird was at Tara Field?

I need to get out more! I have flown to Jekyll Island twice, but just walked to the Jekyll Island Club for their huge Sunday Brunch and hung out a bit on that side of the island. I didn't know there was more to it!

Wells

I flew myself and the wife to Jeckyll Island about two years ago. GREAT fun. We took our bicycles with us in the 182 and it made for a great ride around the island.

Looks like a great flight and yes, the weather this weekend was perfect for flying! I did not know your bird was at Tara Field?

If we could transport bikes and light camping gear, Jekyll would become a frequent trip for us - fly down, camp at the park, tour the island on our non-rented bikes. Perfect.

I've had the RV at Tara for about 3 months. I'm ashamed that I haven't done any 'hangar flying' over there since I only live 10-15 minutes away. There doesn't seem to be a ton of open hangars or airport bums the few times I've been there, though.

I need to get out more! I have flown to Jekyll Island twice, but just walked to the Jekyll Island Club for their huge Sunday Brunch and hung out a bit on that side of the island. I didn't know there was more to it!

Wells

Oh yeah.. You're missing the whole 'beach' side. North end of the island is the 'Driftwood Beach'. There is also some more remote beach areas down on the south end that we'll try to explore on our next trip.

I was amazed at how few hotels were on the beachfront - so it may be possible that you could go there in the summer and not be stepping on people at the beach.

I was at Jekyll when we had the AYA 2003 event at St. Simon's Island, KSSI. Great stop and a lot of fun.

Back