Deltran Battery Tender Plus on Gill Battery

It's strange...the second link says that all the "Battery Tender" chargers are no good, whereas batterytender.com only has that message listed for that specific product.

I'm in a position right now, where i just need to charge my airplane's Gill battery, and I happen to have a battery tender on hand. One charge, even if on a higher voltage, would you think it's okay? I don't plan on having this charger constantly connected to the battery.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Felix

There would be no problem using the Battery Tender to charge your Gill battery (flooded cell or AGM). These Units charge the battery at apx 14 volts (they are constant current devices) switching to float mode once they reach a trigger voltage indicating the battery is fully charged. The voltage that is a "concern" to the manufactures is the longer term float voltage which is used to maintain the battery after it is fully charged. The spec sheets for the BatteryMinder aircraft charger for Gill batteries show a float voltage of 13.05V (at 75F). I don't know what the Battery Tender float voltage is but similar BatteryMinder Plus automotive charger has a float voltage of 13.4V. The charging voltage in your aircraft is probably set at ~ 14.25V so you can see that this float voltage will not be any issue for the short term. (The aircraft units are also temperature compensated - using a higher voltage at lower temps and lower voltage as the temperature increases - a nice feature but only needed if the temperature is far from normal).

Hope this helps relieve your concerns.

Hank

Thank you Very much for all the help Hank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Felix, buy the right stuff. The price competitor that is right for glass mat is made by VDC. :(

I will. I just needed to charge really quick without waiting for it to be delivered.

Thanks
Felix

Back