Grant_Leslie_Prellwitz........2....1C5.......BE33. ......N1074W
JoeSelch (Liz)................1....57D.......SYY
Winters, Tim & Chris.... .....2....0T3.......C182A... ..N5057D
Lynn Merli....................1.. .KTIP.... .PA28-181...N3334Q
Sam Cox......... ... .........1....KIXD......PA-XXX.....XXXXX
Mike, Laura, Ben Keller.......3....KBQR......C172N......N9679H
FrankenkotaFlyer..............1....KFTG......P28B. .....N8089V
Jesse Angell..................1....KCEK......FB-1A. .....N48ML
Well, Steingar canceled. Gary/Jeanne, Sam, and Mike/Laura haven't arrived yet. Scott is expected Saturday, and Bruce/Sue Sunday.
Jesse, Danielle, David, Lynn, Clark, Liz, Brad, Diz, Ryan, Jen, Andy, and a coupe others are already here. On the line we have at least a couple Pipers, a couple Cessnas, a Beech, a Grumman, a Fly Baby, and a Maule.

BTW, Ed did not show up yet. Neither did Kimberly!

Last edited:
gprellwitz said:
BTW, Ed did not show up yet. Neither did Kimberly!

I'm going to volunteer for the Reno Air Races. In only 10 days!

Since when was I going to Michigan?

Last edited:
I'm going to volunteer for the Reno Air Races. In only 10 days!

Since when was I going to Michigan?
We will miss you Kimberly. You won't get to see the skinnier me. I am going to try to go today. I might even fly.

How are the runway conditions- grass length, ruts, etc? I'm thinking about coming up and want to know whether I need to remove the wheel pants first.

What is the better runway if winds are not a factor?

I just got back. They had a great turnout. So far 26 planes have landed which ties the record. The weather there is beautiful and the runway is in great shape for a grass strip. Hopefully number 27 to break the record is not far behind.

Hit 27 with a late-arriving Apache (IIRC) from Big Rapids, MI!

Gary didn't take the pants off his Diamond, so that probably says something! We just got back from the campfire at the compound after the hayride to Hoppy's. Out to breakfast in the morning. Hoping Dr. Bruce stops by in the afternoon. Would be neat to have two twins in the field at the same time!

Got to the hangar, for 10AM departure. No transponder. Weather is going to require > 10,000 feet. No soap.

I put that bird back in the hangar. She might have a for sale sign on her tomorrow after I leave it on Greg Vail's doorstep.

6 year old GTX 330. Sigh.

Last edited:
Got to the hangar, for 10AM departure. No transponder. Weather is going to require > 10,000 feet. No soap.

I put that bird back in the hangar. She might have a for sale sign on her tomorrow after I leave it on Greg Vail's doorstep.

6 year old GTX 330. Sigh.
Sad you couldn't make it. I flew to 6Y9 yesterday and returned home. I was going to go back today to meet you in person.

Look at the bright side on the transponder. It might be a good time to upgrade to a GTX 330 with extended squitter to satisfy ADS-B requirements.

I might be able to squeak on up there in a few hours. What's on the agenda for afternoon or evening?

Sad you couldn't make it. I flew to 6Y9 yesterday and returned home. I was going to go back today to meet you in person.

Look at the bright side on the transponder. It might be a good time to upgrade to a GTX 330 with extended squitter to satisfy ADS-B requirements.
It doesn't do that. I fly to 24,000 and am at 21,000 frequently :(.

Danielle and I are back in Lincoln. Clark and I both flew to LNL to get gas and he left about 10 minutes after I did, last I heard on the radio he was trucking about 50 miles ahead of me. Jesse is past MSP and trying to make it back today, but the winds are strong. He is persisting.

I'm home. With the PoA Fly-in Electrical Gremlin resurfacing ... Still, a nice ride at 7500 and only mild headwinds.

I might be able to squeak on up there in a few hours. What's on the agenda for afternoon or evening?

Just got the message now. No cell coverage up here. We're all up at the Hardwood Steakhouse.

It doesn't do that. I fly to 24,000 and am at 21,000 frequently :(.
I believe that the 1090 MHz extended squitter transponder does meet the ADS-b out requirements. The problem is that you can't get any of the weather or traffic option by that route. If you have to have the transponder repaired it might not be a bad time to get the ES upgrade option.

Which datalink option offers the most reasonable path to compliance? The FAA has given U.S. aircraft operators two options for satisfying the ADS-B “Out” requirement. The first option, as mentioned earlier, is the 1090 MHz “extended squitter” or ES broadcast link available on certain Mode S transponders. The second option is the dedicated 978 MHz universal access transceiver, or UAT. If your aircraft flies at or above Flight Level 180 (18,000 ft MSL), the FAA will require it to have the 1090 MHz ES link. However, aircraft flying below FL 180 (typically GA piston airplanes and rotorcraft) may opt to use either the 1090 MHz ES or the UAT broadcast link. Both options will meet the ADS-B “Out” requirement, and when equipped with an ADS-B receiver as well as a transmitter, both systems can also provide ADS-B “In” for display of traffic data in the cockpit. However, only UAT equipment has the ability to offer FIS-B service for datalink weather and other flight information (such as TFRs and NOTAMs). The 1090 MHz ES system does not have the capacity for FIS-B datalink support. http://www.garmin.com/us/intheair/ads-b/seven-questions/

Just got the message now. No cell coverage up here. We're all up at the Hardwood Steakhouse.

Thanks for letting me know though. I found out there was a honey do list that was feeling neglected. I love 3 day weekends, as after the chores I can still get some rest. I hope to catch you guys next year.

Thanks for letting me know though. I found out there was a honey do list that was feeling neglected. I love 3 day weekends, as after the chores I can still get some rest. I hope to catch you guys next year.
Too bad you couldn't make it. The weather was beautiful all weekend. A great fly-in.

After a large and delicious dinner at the steakhouse, we went back, tied down the planes in case of storms, did a night four wheeling session, looked at pics from the flyin and Costa Rica, and just relaxed. We'll do a late breakfast, maybe look at the museum, and launch late morning or early afternoon, depending on how the isolated TS look.

After a large and delicious dinner at the steakhouse, we went back, tied down the planes in case of storms, did a night four wheeling session, looked at pics from the flyin and Costa Rica, and just relaxed. We'll do a late breakfast, maybe look at the museum, and launch late morning or early afternoon, depending on how the isolated TS look.

Y'all can go home if you want to. I'm having too much fun. I'm going to make this fly-in weekend last longer if I have to do it all by myself!! :D

After planned fuel stops at LNL & POH (4.90/gal) and unplanned GXY, I made it home around 8 MDT. Rain showers were a bit of a bother around FTG so went to GXY for gas and to let things blow through.

Did Jesse ever make it home or is he loading it on a u-haul?

After planned fuel stops at LNL & POH (4.90/gal) and unplanned GXY, I made it home around 8 MDT. Rain showers were a bit of a bother around FTG so went to GXY for gas and to let things blow through.

Did Jesse ever make it home or is he loading it on a u-haul?

I made it home. Took me about 10 hours of tach time to do it. Landed at Crete Nebraska around midnight. Went home and went to sleep.

I made it home. Took me about 10 hours of tach time to do it. Landed at Crete Nebraska around midnight. Went home and went to sleep.

Now that is some X-C time! Good job getting it home.

Leslie and I just got home after loading 50 gallons of 100LL at KLNL. We filed out of there, and were dodging some buildups, but no problems. 4.8 on the tach for the trip. Hardest part was doing a hot start!

We will miss you Kimberly. You won't get to see the skinnier me. I am going to try to go today. I might even fly.

Thank you, Gary. I was trying to do each POA fly-in once so I'm not sure if I'll be back to Michigan (too far away).

One per year, or less. Last year (2011) was 6Y9 and this year (2012) was the WINGS FlyBQ. Though I sort of made up two of my own fly-ins this year, POAers included.

Back