6Y9 Coaching

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
OK- Here I go again as every year.
Those who have been here before know what I'm going to say.
6Y9 is 2,600ft X 100ft., displaced threshold of 400 ft. on both ends, trees at both ends 30ft.,trees on both sides, depending on weather(rain) could be wet and soft on both ends.
If you don't fly on grass often ,Please, practice a little before you arrive.
Short field, soft field, spot landing,etc.practice will make you feel more comfortable when you get here.
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone arrive safely and depart safely also.
As a side note:
Tim W. rented a car this year, if anyone else would like to do so contact Big Valley Ford in Ewen Mi. I think Tim said $30 a day with a $20 del. charge.
For those who don't camp and might need a hotel not sure of the names but the closest are in the towns of either Land O Lakes Wi. ,L'anse or Baraga Mi.
Land O Lakes has there airport adjacent to the Hotel.
Land O Lakes also had cheap fuel at $5.25 a gal. at least the last time I was there (4th of July) Clintonville Wi. is always low and maybe check Antigo Wi.
Any other questions let us know and we will try and help.
See You all there (SAFELY)

See You all there (SAFELY)

Note to others: flying lower than the ducks is entirely optional

Also: there may be (un-notamed) cranes on the the field

Yes Clark optional:) as are the deer, coyotes,wolves, bears and as Tim W. knows SKUNKs also.
I didn't see you on the list, you're coming right???

Yes Clark optional:) as are the deer, coyotes,wolves, bears and as Tim W. knows SKUNKs also.
I didn't see you on the list, you're coming right???

Umm, maybe. May have things moving at work that prevent much time off.

2600x100 of grass

if you cant handle that please send your license back to the feds with a letter stating "I'm too sorry to hold this certificate, please shred my card and remove me form the database" :goofy:

Aside from that madatory remark, if it wasnt 1500+ mi away, I'd love to go!! sounds like a great strip

2600x100 of grass

if you cant handle that please send your license back to the feds with a letter stating "I'm too sorry to hold this certificate, please shred my card and remove me form the database" :goofy:

Aside from that madatory remark, if it wasnt 1500+ mi away, I'd love to go!! sounds like a great strip
Many can't, and keep in mind that many fly aircraft that make it much more difficult.

My hope is to show up in the Bonanza. Doable in that aircraft, but I' going up with an instructor a week or so beforehand, and you can bet we'll concentrate on short-field takeoffs and landings!

Unfortunately, the 182 we normally bring up is going to be in for its annual, so our "backup" will be either a Sierra or a 172. But if David and Jesse made it up there from Texas in a 172, we should be able to do it from Chicago, right?

Jesse has got it right. Each end of the field can get soft so T.O. roll is longer, there can be puddles. Heat can be a factor although normally not this time of year.

Also I forgot, weather temps can vary greatly and even from day to night. You could see anything from the 20's to the 80's. Be prepared with proper clothing,sleeping bag etc.( sun screen ,snow shovel :).)

Hot day it can be tough getting out of there in single loaded with camping gear and pax. I come, I come alone. Depends on the weather, my window is vanishingly small.

My hope is to show up in the Bonanza. Doable in that aircraft, but I' going up with an instructor a week or so beforehand, and you can bet we'll concentrate on short-field takeoffs and landings!

Unfortunately, the 182 we normally bring up is going to be in for its annual, so our "backup" will be either a Sierra or a 172. But if David and Jesse made it up there from Texas in a 172, we should be able to do it from Chicago, right?
With just a little practice you won't have any trouble with the Bonanza at 6Y9, half that length would be doable if the grass was dry. If you want to minimize your landing distance try slipping to the threshold after crossing the trees. Don't bother trying to raise flaps after touchdown, they're slow enough that by the time they're up far enough to reduce lift (i.e below 20°) you'll be too slow for that to matter. Use a weight adjusted approach and "over the fence" speeds, close the throttle completely as you flare, don't try for a greaser and you'll do fine.

Many can't, and keep in mind that many fly aircraft that make it much more difficult.

As well as the fact that many fly in areas where grass fields are very few and far between. And many rental agreements prohibit it.

If you set the flaps to match the aileron being fully deflected you'll get off the ground much sooner. Although it always seems to me like the distance over an actual obstacle doesn't change much because it then takes time to clean that all up after you get off the ground. YMMV suggest you practice :)

Which engine does the Bo have?

If you set the flaps to match the aileron being fully deflected you'll get off the ground much sooner. Although it always seems to me like the distance over an actual obstacle doesn't change much because it then takes time to clean that all up after you get off the ground. YMMV suggest you practice :)

IO-550 300HP

Not many folks know that trick!

Also I stand by my send your license back statement, it is sad that instruction has reached a point where a 2500 grass strip is a difficult mission with a light single.

Not many folks know that trick!

I believe Tony taught me that trick. And coincidentally, I believe it was at 6Y9.

Tim W. rented a car this year, if anyone else would like to do so contact Big Valley Ford in Ewen Mi. I think Tim said $30 a day with a $20 del. charge.

Good memory, $30/day, $20 delivery charge, + $0.20/mi. Big Valley Ford 800-562-7112, Pam.

We have a cabin and plan to spend a week, Tuesday to Tuesday.

I'm taking a 172 from Buffalo

All you FNGs remember...

You need to bring complete tie-down kits.

(now watch me forget mine)

We're looking at a Sunday arrival, day trip only, though....Fingers crossed. Susan's first trip.

Bruce, sure hope you and Susan can make it!
We were already asking after you!

The quote of the day so far had been Lynn asking whether Hoppy's was "particularly fancy", followed by her asking "is this it?" as we pulled into the Frederick compound, thinking it was Hoppy's.

Back