Display Name

Display name:
onwards
So...

I am looking for a 6-seat platform.

Obviously there are only few choices if I don't have six figures to spend:

Fixed gear - Cessna 206, Piper Cherokee Six
Retracts - Cessna 210, Piper Lance... and Bonanza A36

Turbos are available on all these, of course.

I have been focusing mostly on the Pipers because they seem to be a good price/performance option. Cessnas are regularly priced 20% higher than Pipers, for no good reason that I can discern (I don't have a high/low wing preference, have flown both platforms, and feel they are comparable).

But my agent found what appears to be a really nice A36 that I can have... for essentially a Cessna price. He suggested that for an A36, it is worth the premium.

Is it? why? is it worth busting my budget and essentially taking money aimed at the retirement fund to make it happen? (I don't want to take a loan to buy a plane. Even though it will be used a lot for business, I still think of it as a luxury item). Are A36's really that different than the Pipers?

(I am getting a sense as I write this that this must be a question that had been asked before, and might trigger a holy war. If so, apologies in advance... I just hope folks here can give me some clues. And yes, I'll go ask uncle Google too).

If I could get an A36 at a Cessna price, I'd buy it! But just be aware that if the deal sounds too good to be true....

If I could get an A36 at a Cessna price, I'd buy it! But just be aware that if the deal sounds too good to be true....

I am over-simplifying for the sake of argument - the A36 is older than a comparable Cessna, but from my perspective a few years difference doesn't matter. I am wondering about the plane (not the specific one, just in general).

It is all about the state of this particular aircraft. Have it annualed by a Knolwedgeable Beech Shop. If you buy it without an annual, and get clobbered with bills after, and you handn't done the annual, by YOUR guy, WELL YOU NEVER LOOKED.

It is all about the state of this particular aircraft. Have it annualed by a Knolwedgeable Beech Shop. If you buy it without an annual, and get clobbered with bills after, and you handn't done the annual, by YOUR guy, WELL YOU NEVER LOOKED.

I get it, that's not the question I'm asking though :)

Let me ask if differently: what makes the A36 an aircraft that is worth such a high premium over the Piper Lance platform?

Does the Lance have the easy entry doors that a 36Bo has?

I get it, that's not the question I'm asking though :)

Let me ask if differently: what makes the A36 an aircraft that is worth such a high premium over the Piper Lance platform?

The quality of construction is higher, and the A36 is much lighter in the controls. A Saratoga is probably a closer comparison but the Saratoga flies like a truck compared to the Beech.

The quality of construction is higher, and the A36 is much lighter in the controls.

Ah. That's a fair point: so does this translate to lower maintenance, then?

Maybe, but I doubt it. Mostly, it means a better-feeling plane.

The big Pipers carry more than an A 36.

Beechcraft like no other...hey onwards all you need to know...join www.beechtalk.com
great group and very helpful...check it out..

Not really, both airframes and hard parts last about as long. The type and condition of the engine is a bigger factor.

Does the Lance have the easy entry doors that a 36Bo has?

The "Barn Doors" as an A36 owner-friend calls them is one of the best features of that airframe. They sure simplify loading the rear seating area, even if you're just tossing in your bag.

A few flights in them and I've found I like it for what it is. Roomy up front, good speeds, and decent economy once you have the mixture dialed in just right.

Why is loading a 5# bag worthy of mention without also mentioning the climb-drop-scrunch-writhe necessary to get into the pilot seat?

The "Barn Doors" as an A36 owner-friend calls them is one of the best features of that airframe. They sure simplify loading the rear seating area, even if you're just tossing in your bag.

A few flights in them and I've found I like it for what it is. Roomy up front, good speeds, and decent economy once you have the mixture dialed in just right.

The comfort level of the A36 is up there. It flys nice, has good speed and capacity, decent range and comfy seats. The Cessna 210 has most of those but flys a bit heavier. I don't know about the Pipers as I have no time in them. The real suggestion to you is that you go fly one and see for yourself whether its worth the difference. Resale value down the line seems to be better on the Beech going by history so you shouldn't lose later on. Our suggestions are mostly personal opinion so have your mechanic look at AD notes for the plane you're considering, fly one and see what you and your butt think and see what your insurance guy says.

Hope that helps

Frank

> so does this translate to lower maintenance, then?

No. Mx is a function of condition, complexity & usage. Then there is the matter of
parts. All airplane parts are expensive. Beech even more so.

If you scrimp on the pre-buy inspection, you may find some unwelcome (expen$ive)
surprises. I agree w/Bruce in this regard. Heck, for my pre-buy, we went well beyond
the "Annual" tasks in the service manual (because I did not want unexpected
$urprise$)

Things I like about the Pa32:
- Nose baggage compartment, good for bulky stuff, oil bottles and to fix CG issues.
- Flap actuator is a lever and a bicycle chain. No electric actuators to overhaul.
- Gear is hydraulic, the failure mode if you blow a hose or gasket is 'down and locked'.
- Lycoming engine. If flown on a regular basis, it will last to TBO but it hasn't met a gas-pump it didn't like.
- Roomy
- Easy passenger loading with the large aft doors.

The Pa32 is the plane for the passengers, the A36 is the plane for the pilot.

*biased*

At the end of the day, you're going to just love flying the Bonanza. A late 60s or early 70s model will give you one hell of a payload. Send it off to Tornado Alley and you can bump that up 400#.

The problem with the A36 is it doesn't have a V-tail.

The Bonanza has better flight visibility for the pilot, is light on the controls, easy to land, good short field performance, fuel efficient, and generally a delight to fly. It will be no less expensive to operate than the Cessna 210 or Piper. Unless you get an early 36/A36 (1968 to 1975) or a later airplane with the TAT Turbonormalized system STC, the airplane is a good four adult plus baggage machine. The early A36 thru 1984 use the IO520 which is a little under-powered for my taste and it is about 5 Kts slower than the V tail. An upgrade to an IO550 brings its performance up to the V tail standards for an extra half gallon of fuel flow. If your primary objective is how much you can haul and how much cabin space is available, the Piper is probably your airplane. If the flying qualities are important to you, the Bonanza is the best choice. Whatever you do, make sure the Bonanza space and W&B capabilities will fit your mission before you fly one. If the Bonanza won't meet your mission, don't fly it or you will forever wish you owned one.

If a mechanically sound A36 can be had for the price of a cessna then that may be a very good deal but MORE IMPORTANTLY, you asked " is it worth busting my budget and taking money aimed for your retirement fund

My answer to that is no. Not to be a wet blanket but you have a budget for a reason. Personally I would not be hitting retirement funds to buy a plane. Believe me I know how easy it is to get really big eyes when plane shopping and how fast that search for the Archer can turn into consideration of a Mooney 201. Hey its only an extra 15K. You get my point.

Back