Cloud Writing In The Sky

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Saw this the other day (photos taken from car driving on freeway, sorry for the bad quality).

Can anyone explain the perfect cloud writing in the sky? How is this real?

7785998132_f581b4952e_z.jpg

7785999444_a5ff814381_z.jpg

They are out of my home field. They are actually loud and annoying when they come and go. You have never seen sky typing before? I guess I just tak it for advantage that I grew up,seeing them and figured it was a normal thing other places.

They are out of my home field. They are actually loud and annoying when they come and go. You have never seen sky typing before? I guess I just tak it for advantage that I grew up,seeing them and figured it was a normal thing other places.

Nope. Both my BF and I were amazed. I grabbed the camera.

dot matrix / bubblejet with smoke as the ink

Based out of my home airport, Republic (KFRG). On memorial day, I recorded them doing formation takeoffs & landings. They were heading over to Jones Beach for the airshow.

Skywriting is very common out here on the east coast. First time I've seen it was when I was a kid. I assumed it was common throughout the country but I guess not:lol:.

EDIT: didn't see your post Tom:wink2:

As a matter of fact, they flew over my head yesterday as I was leaving work in NJ.

Here they are over Jones Beach, Long Island. 2007 airshow!

Attachments

• MR (85).JPG
    MR (85).JPG
    546.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
A few more from Memorial Day 2012 at Republic :)

Attachments

• PIC_0038.JPG
    PIC_0038.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 14
  • PIC_0039.JPG
    PIC_0039.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 17
  • PIC_0040.JPG
    PIC_0040.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 13
I've seen the old style skywriting planes, but Kimberly's picture showed something that was probably a product of a computer controlled "dot matrix" smoke machine. That was something I've never seen before.

I've seen the old style skywriting planes, but Kimberly's picture showed something that was probably a product of a computer controlled "dot matrix" smoke machine. That was something I've never seen before.

:confused::dunno: Sure would like to see that!

Kim, when did you see this? I think I've solved the mystery:D

Last edited:

http://www.geicoskytypers.com/skytyping
  • Five planes flying in an abreast formation less than 250 feet apart typing dot matrix style messages in the sky

• The lead aircraft utilizes a custom programmed computer with specialized radio commands to signal the other aircraft to release puffs of non-polluting, EPA approved smoke at various intervals
  • 17 times faster than skywriting producing a letter every four seconds
  • Produces messages as tall as the Empire State Building and up to eight miles long
  • Visible for up to 15 miles in any direction or nearly 400 square miles
  • On high visibility days, the messages remain readable for up to 15 minutes
Lots of videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD00634C14EBB8188&feature=plcp

The mind control chemicals in the high contrails are not doing the job the Overlords desire, so they have brought it down low through the medium of sky typing...

You sheeple are so easily fooled... I am not fooled however... I do not leave the house without my activated charcoal mask and my premium, heavy duty Aluminum foil coolie hat :no:

We were driving south on highway 101, heading to the Petaluma Airport, to do chicken bombing in the 150. My boyfriend was driving so I grabbed his DSLR from the backseat to shoot the pic. I did not see any planes and you can tell from my photos they had done one facing one way (for southbound traffic) and one "backwards" for the other people to read going the other way. By the time I saw it, it had faded quite a bit and was fading fast each minute. It erases pretty quickly depending on the weather, I think.

We were driving south on highway 101, heading to the Petaluma Airport, to do chicken bombing in the 150. My boyfriend was driving so I grabbed his DSLR from the backseat to shoot the pic. I did not see any planes and you can tell from my photos they had done one facing one way (for southbound traffic) and one "backwards" for the other people to read going the other way. By the time I saw it, it had faded quite a bit and was fading fast each minute. It erases pretty quickly depending on the weather, I think.

Oh, ok. I was thinking maybe the Geico Skytypers of NY were in town for the California State Fair, the last week of July. However, that thought was before post #12. I had no idea that there was a West Coast version of the Skytypers.:lol:

Oh, ok. I was thinking maybe the Geico Skytypers of NY were in town for the California State Fair, the last week of July. However, that thought was before post #12. I had no idea that there was a West Coast version of the Skytypers.:lol:

I would guess these were written by "normal" planes with some sort of attachment on them.

This sounds like a cool technique.

I saw a dude trying to write SEX.COM the old way, and S started to get out of shape by the time he got to C.

I've also seen this before on the bay bridge. My son and wife noticed it first while I was driving. At first I thought they were talking about a banner plane but when I looked up I haven't seen any smoke letters like that before.

This sounds like a cool technique.

I saw a dude trying to write SEX.COM the old way, and S started to get out of shape by the time he got to C.

Thats some very challenging flying... just imagine writing SURRENDER DOROTHY on a day with strong winds aloft. :D

I would guess these were written by "normal" planes with some sort of attachment on them.

I don't know about that, your pictures look pretty much like what I'm used to seeing from the Geico team. The letters look like they're starting to fade with the passing of time, which would explain why you guys didn't see or hear the planes.

I think they last ten or fifteen minutes depending on the winds.

Hey Kim, I have an idea! Maybe you could give them a call (the west coast skytypers), and give them the date and time you saw this. Ask them if it was their team doing the writing. Then maybe we can get to the bottom of this mystery, once and for all :rofl:

Skytyping website:
Team - They are the only civilian squadron currently appearing at airshows and flying WWII aircraft

Did anyone inform the Aeroshell Squadron of this ? :)

Skytyping website:

Did anyone inform the Aeroshell Squadron of this ? :)

It's patently untrue. Not only the Aeroshell guys, but there are a few others including the Flying Lions (flying T-6's), Aerostars who fly WWII-era yak-52's, the Horsemen flying P-51's, etc...

While they might have six of the last 11 snj-2's, there are a whole lot of SNJ's out there (most are -3's I believe) and certainly more of the other Texan variants. T-6 variants are the most numerous warbird at Oshkosh.

Last edited:
Back