Video of 7 hour flight from Denver (KBJC) to Seattle (KAWO) in 5 minutes with music

jsnapp

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
BJC-Cherokee
Here is a video I put together of a flight I made on July 13 to Seattle from Denver. I mounted a GoPro Hero 2 to the beacon on the tail of the plane a took a photo every 5 seconds. This will be the only supersonic Cherokee 235 out there!!! I wish I could only go that fast!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uat9L00U7OY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There are a few other videos on my YouTube site.

Re: Video of 7 hour flight from Denver (KBJC) to Seattle (KAWO) in 5 minutes with mus

very nice!

Re: Video of 7 hour flight from Denver (KBJC) to Seattle (KAWO) in 5 minutes with mus

What a cool flight. I really like the segment from 1:40 to about 2:10, the flight below coulds. Those would intimidate me ;) but it sure is quite a sight.

Also like the flight over the snowed mountain tops at 3:40!

Was the gopro set at 170* viewing angle? I like the perspective.

If I had a plane I'd decorate it with gopros (and 'prolly get yelled at by everyone though :D)

Thanks for sharing! Makes me wanna finish the training before it ends me.

Love your tailcam!!!

That was fun. Looked like Corona Pass at the beginning?

Little bumpy on the other side of the front over that last mountain range?

Totally cool.

That was fun! I enjoyed watching it.

Excellent! Thanks for posting that!

Gary

Very Nice! Thanx. My tailcam videos are boring... that 5 second tip will help a lot!

Excellent,

Suzi and I had our "inaugural" flight in our new to us PA-28-180, to Arlington. Great video!!

Any tips for doing a 7 hour trip in a GA plane?

I liked those quick turns at the fuel pump.

Nice work. That was pretty fun to watch.

VICE! Can't wait to do my 8th flight... To Dallas TX later this year....

I just got a GoPro, I'm curious if you had to use the battery backpack or change batteries To get seven hours? I have just taken HD video and the battery is gone at 2.5 hours.

Awesome, right at 30 seconds, you fly over my house. Stagecoach Lake is clearly visible.

Very nice.

Any tips for doing a 7 hour trip in a GA plane?

I'm going to echo what Clark said - start early. Bring lots of caffeine, and snacks. Not too many gas stations to pull over and get refreshments at.

I'm going to echo what Clark said - start early. Bring lots of caffeine, and snacks. Not too many gas stations to pull over and get refreshments at.

Good point on the gas stations...don't run out of gas is my next bit of advise for seven hour (or more, or less) trips. Very bad to run out of gas...

Good point on the gas stations...don't run out of gas is my next bit of advise for seven hour (or more, or less) trips. Very bad to run out of gas...

Planes run better with gas.

Planes run better with gas.

I've heard that oil is important too. And the big pieces, all the big pieces have to sorta be in place...

I've heard that oil is important too. And the big pieces, all the big pieces have to sorta be in place...

Another good point. Don't forget to make sure the big pieces are attached, and there is a sufficient amount of errrls

Clark are you coming to 6Y9 again this year?

Clark are you coming to 6Y9 again this year?

Gotta give the usual: dunno yet. Work schedule is "interesting" with two big $$$ operations pending depending on equipment availability and partners getting off their donkeys

Just an up on Friday or Saturday and back on Sunday/Monday at best.

I just got a GoPro, I'm curious if you had to use the battery backpack or change batteries To get seven hours? I have just taken HD video and the battery is gone at 2.5 hours.

I'm interested in the answer to this as well.

I actually connected it up to an external power source for the flight. I modified the case so that I could plug in a USB cable that I had connected to a 5v power source. I then sealed the case with some goop so a little rain would not get in. I wish they had an easier way to do this or they made a much larger battery that would fit into the case.

so you can attach stuff to the outside of the plane without infringing on some regulation?

so you can attach stuff to the outside of the plane without infringing on some regulation?

You won't get a clear answer on that. It's debatable and even likely to be enforced differently by different FSDOs.

Depends on how you attach it.
Depends on where you attach it.
Depends on the phase of the moon.

... and whether or not a cranky FAA worker had to pick his daughter up from a party drunk at 2AM last night before seeing your aircraft festooned in cameras wrapped in flourescent orange duct tape just to highlight that they're there when you taxiied by his office window. ;)

This was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I love how all the traffic patterns and landing / takeoffs happen so fast, just a bunch of paved surfaces and lines. And when you two get in and out of the plane is so funny, reminds me of old stop motion like gumby.

BJC/John...
Thanx for the tip... here's my first crack using your technique... a quick flight between KDVT (Deer Valley) and E60 (Eloy), just to test the process... (GoPro2/2seconds, using CineForm)
KDVT to Eloy video

Here is a video I put together of a flight I made on July 13 to Seattle from Denver. I mounted a GoPro Hero 2 to the beacon on the tail of the plane a took a photo every 5 seconds. This will be the only supersonic Cherokee 235 out there!!! I wish I could only go that fast!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uat9L00U7OY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There are a few other videos on my YouTube site.

Do you end up with a ton of individual pics or does the camera make the final movie for you? How did you get the final product?

I have a Stealth hd170 with the time lapse option and would like to try it.

Thousands of individual pics. Kind of a PITA. A few programs that I can think of that will stitch them into a video... Quicktime Pro, PowerDirector, CineForm. (I think anyone can download Cineform from the GoPro website) I'm guessing most video editing programs have some way to do it.:confused:

Last edited:

Very cool. I usually don't like flying videos after about thirty seconds, but the whole time lapse thing was neat. I wish I could do flights in real-life like that. Denver to Arlington in 5 minutes.

Cineform can do all sorts of wondrous things, but to convert the pics to a video is only about 3 clicks. On the left side, you drop your folder(s) containing the jillion pics. Then click on the blue button "add selected to conversion list". Then click the "convert all" button. Your completed video will be found in the directory named at the bottom-center of the screen. Here's a video showing this and a lot more....

Back