When to give up on my CFI

imstriker

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
imstriker
Good morning all.... Perhaps I am just venting :). I'm at about 22 hours now and a hair or two away from solo. My current CFI (second on) is outstanding and has been an excellent experience. However, it has become very difficult to schedule with him lately. He has taken a commercial job for a small company and disappears frequently. I'm used to a lot of communication in my job so it is tough to not get any texts or e-mails back for a week plus when trying to schedule.

So the question for me is, do I just tough it out or do I start CFI hunting and put myself back the hours again in being close to solo. I feel like I lost about 5 hours switching CFIs and planes last time. The plane will stay the same this time at least. Any advice? Otherwise, thanks for listening to my venting.

If you aren't flying twice or three times a week because you can't get hold of your CFI,you need a new CFI because this one is costing you too much in remedial time. BTW, nothing wrong with flying with multiple CFIs concurrently, I used whomever was available at the flight school when I was ready to fly, I learned from each of them.

Didn't sound like much venting to me. Getting solo'd in a timely manner requires a commitment from the instructor and the student.

If you've voiced your concerns to the instructor and there has been no/inadequate response then it's time to move on. If you haven't talked to the instructor about the problem then please do so - maybe he can work it out.

Just an opinion, but in your early stages I think the more often you fly the better. One of the perverse truths of aviation is that 98% of instructors are merely marking time until they can move on to another type of flying. The conundrum here is that if instructor's pay was such that it created a class of long term professionals then the associated costs would go up and price the school out of the market.

If I were in your shoes I'd go shopping for a new instructor. If I'm seeking services from a vendor and they can't deliver to my needed schedule I get another.

If you cant go up or talk with him for weeks at a time, staying with this CFI probably will cost you quite a few more hrs and money, I'd have a come to jesus with him and if you cant work something out find a new CFI.

Yep. Time to look for one who's more available. If you can't fly at least a couple of times a week due to his schedule, he's just not a viable instructor for you any more.

He could be a great guy and a great instructor, but if his schedule doesn't allow him to teach... you need someone who can.

He may be sick of instructing and commercial flying is a nice relief for a break. Look at it from his point of view as well as your own. The instructor has to put in just as much time with your solo as you do if not more. That being said, why not schedule a sit down with him to discuss the fact that you would like to continue working with him. One possibility is that you get a second instructor to work with at the same time. As long as both instructors work in concert you would get the maximum benefit.

I agree with Henning.....go up several times a week if possible and use multiple CFI's. I remember learning something from each of the CFI's that I went up with. Something new each time. You're not cheating on the guy that you like and when he comes back or is more available, fly with him again. Until then, go often and have fun.

Thanks all, that is great advice all the way around. I'm going to try and catch him long enough to have a chat about it. He is a great guy and I enjoy flying with him. I certainly understand the bigger paycheck getting in the way too, so we shall see what works out...

Thanks all, that is great advice all the way around. I'm going to try and catch him long enough to have a chat about it. He is a great guy and I enjoy flying with him. I certainly understand the bigger paycheck getting in the way too, so we shall see what works out...

You are very realistic about this. WHich one wins 121/135 work and pay or CFI work and pay. the 121/135 side will win every time.

Hope it works out but as others have said, flying with different CFI's is actually a good idea, providing you are a good match.

Every one has different styles and experiences so you can get different insights. ;)

Cheers

One of the things I try to do with CFIs I work with is to make sure I offer to at least pay them for ground time explanations and long educational de-briefings.

I started doing this when I realized the yoga chick at the local Y got more per hour for one-on-one instruction than my flight instructor.

I also don't like rushed rushed "invisible time" preflight briefing and de-briefing. I like to sit, recollect, talk about what was going on and make good usefull notes.

Having said that, working on my Commercial, I now fly several flights between CFI sessions because, I often repeat the same mistakes and for a lot of things, I feel practice is what I need.

If your putting in the time, and even though you like your CFI, he needs to put in the time also. If he can't work with you as much as you need or want, you have to move on. Not saying you have to cut completely, see if he has someone he has worked with that can fly with you when he is unavailable.

> give up on my CFI

Part of learning to fly; is becoming t.h.e. PIC, not merely an organic autopilot acting
on the spoken commands of the CFI.

Your instincts are spot-on. Congratulations. Fire your CFI. Yes, really. Interview
alternates. Lather, rinse, repeat - as required.

One of the things I try to do with CFIs I work with is to make sure I offer to at least pay them for ground time explanations and long educational de-briefings.

The flight school associated with our club has two columns for CFI Time, one flight, one ground to be filled out in the log. Both are the same rate and having the two makes sure the CFI gets paid for ALL instruction, preflight, in flight and post flight.

As an example, I went out to fly one time but the crosswinds kicked up way out of limits. We spent a hour going over the glass panel use in one of the planes I seldom fly. He got paid and I learned some new info.

Cheers

If you aren't flying twice or three times a week because you can't get hold of your CFI,you need a new CFI because this one is costing you too much in remedial time. BTW, nothing wrong with flying with multiple CFIs concurrently, I used whomever was available at the flight school when I was ready to fly, I learned from each of them.

I agree^^^^^^

I went through this last year, but due to being in the boondocks, there were no other instructors available. If I could have flown 3 times a week, it would have saved me some hours, and probably been more effective training.

After you've gotten past the PPL checkride, MAYBE, at least in some circumstances it's not so important to fly three times a week, but in the beginning I think it is more important.

If you have the luxury of multiple instructors in your area, do some shopping and find one you can communicate with and who will do everything possible to be available when YOU can fly. Remember, it's YOUR money.

Hope this helps.

Back