Airventure is a special place filled with special people

Missa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AsGoodAsCake
I've mention in another thread that in the middle of the horrible storm on Thursday I became seprated from my realitivly new smart phone (a Motorola Razor Maxx) it had only a very little charge left on it.

I got word today (from my mom who's number is listed as "home" in my contacts) that my phone was found and identified (took a little while as they needed to get a charge back on it to bring up my contacts) and is now in the mail heading back to me.

YEA!

In the past I've lost my wallet at Oshkosh and before I even knew it was missing someone called my office off my business card and they called me, not a penny missing.

EAA Airventure Oshkosh is just FILLED with outsanding good hearted people!

What a great outcome, Missa! It's great to hear good news these days.

Aviation folks seem to act this way more often than badly. It's refreshing.

Sounds to me like the "keeping up with our things" issue hasn't been adequately addressed:rofl:

EAA Airventure Oshkosh is just FILLED with outsanding good hearted people!

And I agree. The folks who fly in or drive in to be with The Show are great, salt of the earth, and all of that.

However, I can't say the same for the locals. For twenty years I ran an electronics booth in the commercial exhibit halls and if you didn't nail down an expensive piece of equipment (like a digital clock when they were just coming onto the market, marker receivers, intercoms, etc.) somehow they magically vanished if you had to leave the booth for a biology break. Sad. The cops that took the report said that it was most likely local druggies that sold the stuff to keep their habit going.

And I agree. The folks who fly in or drive in to be with The Show are great, salt of the earth, and all of that.

However, I can't say the same for the locals. For twenty years I ran an electronics booth in the commercial exhibit halls and if you didn't nail down an expensive piece of equipment (like a digital clock when they were just coming onto the market, marker receivers, intercoms, etc.) somehow they magically vanished if you had to leave the booth for a biology break. Sad. The cops that took the report said that it was most likely local druggies that sold the stuff to keep their habit going.

I could see that...

I talked to some of the locals who were working as Security Guards near the EAA Merchandise tents late at night (midnight - 06:00).

The kid sitting at the one in North 40 was unhappy he had to be there, and generally not seeming like much of the motivated/happy sort... I doubt the local economy is offering much in the way of upward mobility for young folks in the area.

He said he worked the big country music thing before OSH, then when the hail and wind came the Tuesday prior to OSH opening week this week, he was "required" to work a bunch of overtime.

Sounded like it was "just a job" for him.

Was nice to run into you at your campsite, Jim!

Interesting to hear the locals talk about ths show. Everybody else on the planet calls it "Oshkosh" but they call it "EAA".

Interesting to hear the locals talk about ths show. Everybody else on the planet calls it "Oshkosh" but they call it "EAA".
Don't forget that they have another big show there just a month earlier, the Country USA festival. Certainly not as big as AirVenture, but a respectable size (over 150K people)!

All the road signs too. I can see why. If there were an event of that size here, we wouldn't call it "Denver". ;)

This little girl found my pilot cert at the supermarket. Even in CA there are good folks:

6790173272_467634bc60_z.jpg

Specifically "The EAA". Nobody but the EAA flaks calls it Airventure. To the entire world it's Oshkosh, except to the locals where it's "The EAA." I was talking to one of my coworkers and he says "Oh, you're going to The EAA." I commented that I didn't realize he was from Wisconsin.

The locals are always a hoot. I've had extremely good luck with bus driver (who drove us as the only remaining passengers on the bus to where we were going), cab drivers, and even a random local who saw us waiting on the corner for a bus and ran home and got his car so he could drive us back to the field.

This little girl found my pilot cert at the supermarket. Even in CA there are good folks:

Or in Detroit - My daughter dropped her phone on the sidewalk outside of the club she worked at in the downtown area. I got a phone call the next day from someone who found it.

There are good people everywhere but they just seem to be a high concentration of good people at Airventure.

and there is a thread on the EAA forums about people getting stuff stolen out of their tents so at least we know that there aren't all good people there. glad you found your phone missa.

A few years ago I was in a building buying a memory card for a GPS and at the counter in my Air Force Uniform. Right next to me a guy reached across the counter and took a memory card off of the rack and slid it under his program, and then off the counter into his hand and then into his pocket. I was no more than three feet from him the whole time and clearly watching him. When the girl behind the counter came back I told her that the guy standing there had stolen a card. He pulled it out and then casually strolled away as if nothing had happened, and didn't say a word. I felt like pummeling the guy, but it wouldn't have been worth it. So, not everyone there is honest or upright.

and there is a thread on the EAA forums about people getting stuff stolen out of their tents so at least we know that there aren't all good people there. glad you found your phone missa.

People, or 1 person who had a diet pepsi stolen?

No not everyone, but I'd say the ratio of good people to cheats is slightly higher on the airventure grounds then anywhere else.

Back