AirVenture Camp Scholler Dinner

What night would you be able to attend the Camp Scholler dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Leslie what can I say? Awesome food! Diz, Supurb Mojitos!

Last edited:
Glad y'all could join us! I think we had close to thirty people there! Next year we may need a bigger pot!

Glad y'all could join us! I think we had close to thirty people there! Next year we may need a bigger pot!

Not so sure. I know some of us still got to have seconds!! Thanks for all the hard work Grant, Leslie and everyone else involved!! :rockon::happydance:

Hi all. Getting back to normal life at the house the past few days. Work has felt like... I never left...... gotta stay away longer next time.

For those who asked, I've posted the jambalaya recipe below. It's not a family secret or anything; found it on the internet, cooked up in a big pot with lots of POA love... and a few modifications :) This recipe is for a single batch; I made a double batch at OSH. Enjoy, Leslie

Camp Scholler Dinner Jambalaya (original source: Food Network, "Emeril's Kicked-Up Jambalaya" with a few switches)

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • Creole seasoning, recipe follows
  • 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
  • 1 1/2 pounds andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped bell pepper
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped thyme leaves
  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 cups rice
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 cup chopped green onions
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley
Directions

In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium high heat. Season shrimp with Creole seasoning and saute until almost cooked through, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove shrimp and set aside until later.

Season chicken pieces with Creole seasoning. Add remaining olive oil to Dutch oven and when hot, add chicken pieces and saute until browned on both sides, about 8 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Add sausage and cook until browned. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, cayenne and thyme and cook until vegetables are wilted, about 6 minutes. Add tomatoes and water and return chicken pieces to pot. Season with salt and pepper and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

Add rice to pot, stir well and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and cook for 15 minutes.

Add shrimp, green onions and parsley to Dutch oven, mixing carefully, and continue to cook, covered, for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 10 minutes before serving.

Leslie's tips and switches:

Andouille, Andouille, Andouille - absolutely got to find the good stuff, a key quality ingredient. I have one source that helps me in a bind, they are my heroes. If traveling, you can freeze the links, place them at the bottom of the cooler with ice, etc. on top, they'll keep fine for a few days that way and still be firm enough to slice up when you're ready.

Instead of a whole chicken, substituted about 2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken - I use an even mix of boneless skinless chicken breasts and thighs.

Substituted no sodium chicken stock for water - richer flavor, and I'm guessing few of you even missed the salt.....

I use Emeril's Bayou Blast seasoning when traveling - coat both the chicken and shrimp well with it before cooking them up, and don't be too shy about it. And add some in the pot while it's cooking too, in stages - got to sample, stop adding when it 'tastes right' to you. And for the salt fans, don't worry - this is where it comes back in; using the no-sodium stock keeps it from getting too loaded down.

If folks are interested in the chili recipe, let me know - that one, I do blend my own 'brand X' chili powder that's layers of flavor and some heat, but absolutely salt-free....

Some pictures I got at the dinner.

Attachments

• P7240079.JPG
    P7240079.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
  • P7240080.JPG
    P7240080.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
  • P7240082.JPG
    P7240082.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 23
  • P7240083.JPG
    P7240083.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • P7240084.JPG
    P7240084.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • P7240085.JPG
    P7240085.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
  • P7240086.JPG
    P7240086.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • P7240087.JPG
    P7240087.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
  • P7240088.JPG
    P7240088.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
  • P7240089.JPG
    P7240089.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
  • P7240090.JPG
    P7240090.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
Thanks for posting your recipe, Leslie...

And just to prove I read the whole thing, YES, we want the chili recipe too, please!!

OK, by request - the veggie chili recipe! It's also not a family secret, will add my tips and tricks.

Have also added the recipe for a chili powder that's similar to mine (hey - can't tell y'all EVERYTHING.....), the key thing is that it's focused on flavor rather than pure heat, and no salt - made my first batch of brand 'x', and the stuff in the jars of the spice aisle at the grocery store seem to pale by comparison...

BTW, I only made one batch of chili, so be ready for lots of leftovers if you don't have a lot of people to feed!

Camp Scholler Veggie Chili (original source: allrecipes.com)

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 green bell peppers, chopped
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers, drained
  • 2 (12 ounce) packages vegetarian burger crumbles
  • 3 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn

Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in the celery, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and green chile peppers. When vegetables are heated through, mix in the vegetarian burger crumbles. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 5 minutes.
  2. Mix the tomatoes into the pot. Season chili with chili powder and pepper. Stir in the kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in the corn, and continue cooking 5 minutes before serving.

Leslie's tips and tricks on the chili:

- on the salt - cut by half or two-thirds, maybe even cut out altogether - you won't miss it, and all of the canned veggies will bring some back in for a bit of taste.

- on the vegetarian crumbles - I'm sure folks who imbibe regularly have their favorite brands; I like to work with Morningstar Farms Grillers Recipe Crumbles (one of their Meal Starters ) for this. I saute them up with some oil and mix in some chili powder prior to adding to the pot, so they get a little crispy and start picking up some flavor along the way. I've made this and had people not realize it was vegetarian: given the texture, you might think it was ground beef; it can be easily swapped out for that too.

on the beans - I don't use garbanzo beans in chili; that just strikes me as weird. feel free to substitute a can of whatever beans you like; red or pinto beans work pretty good.

on the corn - look for super sweet in the cans if you can find it - an interesting twist.

on the ingredient not listed :) - 1 small can of chipotle peppers in adobo. usually I only add a few, slice them up, etc. - this time, we were pressed for time, so the whole can went in, most of them unsliced. For those who derived medicinal sinus-clearing benefits from the chili, I think this, along with the fresh jalapenos, is what did it....also being generous with the chili powder...

Ah, the chili powder - back to Food network. the smell when you're making this in the kitchen is wonderful.... I keep one coffee grinder just for spice blends, so I can process finely. Buying local is great, but if you can't find all of the dried peppers in your local store, Penzey's Spices (www.penzeys.com) is a great resource for all things spice.

Ingredients

• 3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced (LP: I buy mine dried)
  • 3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced (LP: I buy mine dried)
  • 3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
  • 2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Directions

Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Enjoy, Leslie

Back