Help! Planning a dual XC into class B airspace

jconway2002

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
jconway2002
Hello everyone,

I have a dual XC with my instructor this Sunday. We are planning to fly from CRQ to SMO to LGB to CRQ. I was planning on using the Los Angeles special flight rules area, and picking up the 132 (312) radial at SMO somewhere over the ocean, and outside of the SNA airspace. The part I am confused about is how to get from SMO to LGB.

Any input would be appreciated. I plan on discussing this with my instructor, but it could be a day or two before that happens, and for now I am stuck at work with this dancing around in my head. :idea:

Once you leave SMO climb to 3500 (pretty tough to get there before you go into Corridor) and fly directly over LAX mid field (on the 132 radial). When you get to the 105 you can turn left and follow the 405 towards long beach and call them up on 119.4 for inbound. Don't forget to give updates on 128.55 through the LAX corridor and get LGB ATIS as soon as you can. My suggestion would be to go to VNY first and skip SMO. Really nice airfield and plenty of time to climb and overfly SMO and a straight out departure puts you pretty much on a straight shot to the corridor through LAX. (When leaving VNY remember to stay at 2500 until you pass Getty Center)

Last edited:
No problem, let us know how it goes. If it's hazy and you can't find LGB just go direct Seal Beach after the corridor and you'll run into LGB. Don't bust airspace, it gets close over there.

What runway can I expect to be landing at when flying into Long Beach LGB?

What runway can I expect to be landing at when flying into Long Beach LGB?

12/30 is the main runway for the Jets and IFR traffic. 25L is normally used for inbound VFR traffic and pattern work. You can request either but it may be easier to setup for the left pattern for 25L and you may have to go to Signal Hill to enter the pattern.

12/30 is the main runway for the Jets and IFR traffic. 25L is normally used for inbound VFR traffic and pattern work. You can request either but it may be easier to setup for the left pattern for 25L and you may have to go to Signal Hill to enter the pattern.

Thank you! This is kind of what I was expecting, and I am glad...it should make things a little easier.

Back