My lunch experience

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
Every so often I go pick up Mrs. Steingar for lunch. The folks I was supposed to go out with crapped out, so I did it today. We tried a sub place across from where she works. Went this way:

Her: I'd like a white pizza sub
Me: I'd like a tuna sub
Them: We're out of tuna
Me: Fine, a veggie sub will do

We grab drinks, sit down, remark on how scuzzy the place looks, when the guy from behind the counter walks up:

him: uuh, we're out of mushrooms too
Me: fine, just put on artichoke hearts
him: we're out of those too, that was the other thing I was going to tell you
Me: Then we're out of here

Thankfully they refunded my money. I don't think I've ever walked out of a restaurant before, not even a fast food place. Won't be going there again.

Every so often I go pick up Mrs. Steingar for lunch. The folks I was supposed to go out with crapped out, so I did it today. We tried a sub place across from where she works. Went this way:

:DWell.... it's pretty clear that you are one of those liberal, elitest academicians (or is it macadamians - I'm confused) - really, bagging your duties educating the future leaders of our country just to enjoy the company of your wife for lunch! The owner probably had plenty of tuna fish, just didn't want to serve your kind! :D

But really - a VEGGIE sub? or as they are known around here, hoagies. That's just not right!

Gary

Gary. Normally, I would have to totally agree with you. However, Mrs. Steingar was there so, she would have had any other guy wrapped around her little finger as charming as she is. So this "Hoagie" guy was just a loser.

:D (btw, Adam, that's a smiley. Means kidding, ya know?)

:D

Can you spell "van" in vanilla?

However, Mrs. Steingar was there so, she would have had any other guy wrapped around her little finger as charming as she is.

Ok - Having met Ms. Steingar, I can agree to that!!

Still having difficulty with a veggie hoagie! :no:

Gary

Last edited:
Reminds me of the time a group of us went to dinner at a steak restaurant in Khorat, Thailand. The menu was basically steaks, which they grilled outside by the entrance.

We all ordered the same type of steak. After about 45 minutes, the waiter finally arrived with a steak. When he didn't return with the others, we questioned him. He had thought we only wanted one steak for the six of us. We explained that we each wanted a steak, and off he went, we thought to fetch five more. We waited and waited and waited. After about an hour, we tracked down the waiter and the one Thai in our group asked about our food. He said they were out of steaks. Out of steaks? That's basically all the sell!

We had waited a long time for nothing and just wanted to go someplace an get something to eat, so we asked for the check. When it arrived, it included all six steaks. When we pointed out that we only received one steak, the waiter seemed stumped..."but you ordered six steaks."

I hate it when you order a meal, and it is only after the order is brought to the table that the waitress decided to tell you, "oh yea, we were out of XXX so we just substituted this for it." I've waited all this time for the meal to be prepared and it is not until it's brought to the table that you think to tell me that you don't have the food to prepare as I have ordered? Then in you're infinite waitress wisdom, you activated you're ESP and read my mind to determine what I would like substituted with my meal. If you had such great ESP powers, why did I have to wait to have a drink order taken, you should have greeted me at the door with a glass of wine.... EERRRRR!

Wait does this belong in the Pet Peeves thread? It's happened one to many times.

Actual conversation at a Pizza Hut once.

"I'd like to order a combination, and I'd like to add anchovies." Pizza arrives 15 minutes later.

"Um, there's like, only two anchovies on this entire pizza!"

"Well, most people don't like anchovies, so we don't put a lot on."

How do you argue with that.

Actual conversation at a Pizza Hut once.

"I'd like to order a combination, and I'd like to add anchovies." Pizza arrives 15 minutes later.

"Um, there's like, only two anchovies on this entire pizza!"

"Well, most people don't like anchovies, so we don't put a lot on."

How do you argue with that.
bowrofl.gif

We once stopped at a Subway. After we each laid out our well-phrased order, the sandwich artist replied, "We're out of bread."

My daughter and I exchanged glances than laughed and said, "That's a good one..."

"No, really. We're outta bread."

:rolleyes2:

Since we're sharing worth restauarant experiences....

Years ago I was TDY for some Army training in a site west of Baltimore, MD. There was no didning facility, etc so I hopped in the car after a long day looking for anything other than fast food. Finally I saw "Mama Pepperonis" [name changed to protect against lawsuits and I forgot the actual name].

I walked in, waited by the sign that said, "Please Wait to be Seated" and noticed that the place was nearly empty except for a scattering of people who appeared to be veterans of the Civil War. Eventually a surly, broad-beamed wench named "Flo" [another falsity] looked at me long enough to catch my eye so w and then pointed to an empty table. He look transmitted in a glance the message: "If you think I'm walking all the way over there to show you one of twenty empty tables you are sadly mistaken, buster." Once I took a step towards the table, popped her gum and turned back into the kitchen, not caring if I sat my customer a$$ down or not.

My next hint should have been the SENIOR SPECIALS listed front and center on heality-laminated card stock. The most inoffensive item appeared to be the PASTA PRIMEVARA [sic]. I hadn't had a Prime Pasta in a week and was famished.

When Her Surliness finally re-appeared, I offered up my request. She looked at me with disgust -- who would actually order PASTA PRIMEVARA in this dump? She grabbed the menu and walked off. Five steps away she turned part-way and said over her shoulder, "You want the salad?"

"Sure..."

She continued on her way to important surliness, eager to insult someone more worthy.

By now I relaized that while my hunger would not be satisfied, a morbid curiosity in the depths of human depravity might be. After a long, long time the salad (consisting of three iceberg leaves and four store-brand croutons) landed in front of me, with a paper napkin and some tossed silverware. I picked at the lettuce and the Great Value Ranch dressing and wondered what was next.

Eventually the main course arrived. Flo asked if I was done with me salad and seemed hurt I'd only picked at the cheaped, limp mess.. She traded my salad plate for a a plate of overcooked Great Value spaghetti upon which dirty stems -- not florets (the green part) -- just stems -- of brocolli sat bathed in watery solution. I looked up to ask Flo what this was but she'd already headed back towards the kitchen. Mid-escape she half-turned, looked at me, and tossed the salad fork -- yes tossed -- back on to the table as she said "You're going to need that."

I stopped the fork from skipping across the table and watched Flos back as she stumped back into the kitchen, exhausted from dealing with demanding morons who thought you got a separate fork for each course --idiots!!

I smiled, glad to have been exposed to this level of slovenly service to better appreciate the chains where the wait staff are commanded to break into the most compelling converstaion to ask if you need more Coke ("I've been thinking, we've been togther a long time now, and..." "HOW'S YOUR POTATO SKINS? GOOD? MORE COKE?")

I waited until Flo came back out for her rounds and told her I was done. She seemed unsurprised, and dropped the bill.

$8.13 for "Drnk, Sal, PP"

I pulled out eight singles and thirteen cents and left it on the table, scattered a bit, to force Flo to do something requiring effort.

Years ago, my wife owned a retail shop and I worked out of town. About once a week, I would pick her up and we'd go to a steak and chicken place, across the parking lot from her store.
I loved their chicken dish so much that I can't begin to remember what it was called. I did order it every time.
One Thursday we walked across the parking lot, got seated and ordered. Steak salad for my wife and my favorite chicken dish. The asst manager comes over and says, "Man. I'm sorry. The truck didn't show up in time for lunch and we're out of chicken."
We laughed and I ordered a strip steak.
The next day I was in town and we decided I'd come by and get her, so I could get my chicken fix.
We walked right up to the door and tried to open it before I realized there was nothing in that restaurant except air. It was cleaned out to the walls. Even the flourescent light fixtures were gone.
Ever since, and that was over 20 years ago, every time a restaurant is out of some basic item, we expect them to be closed the next day.

Last edited:
For some reason, only one episode stands out - We had kind of a family reunion about 4 yrs ago, and we all went out to dinner. There was BBQ on the menu, so I ordered up the brisket plate. The waitress came out, set my plate in front of me. I saw, like, 3 slices of brisket. I picked up the plate, looked underneath, and asked, "Where's the rest?" Apparently, that was all they had left. I've also heard that place is out of business now.

Back