1940 Aeronca Chief

There's your mistake right there. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. :rofl:

Rob, like me, is a good husband. As such, he understands that this idea is a profoundly bad one.

The only drawback I see is he can only fly his kids one at a time in it. Then again, that's good for providing "Daddy time" for each kid, which is a good thing.

I'm reading "Flying Carpet: The Soul of an Airplane" by Greg Brown. Seriously made me wish I had made the plunge into flying/buying a plane when my sons were young.
I read that a few months back - good book.

If anyone wants to "borrow" it on kindle, I've got it. I haven't loaned a book on Kindle before, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

I read that a few months back - good book.

If anyone wants to "borrow" it on kindle, I've got it. I haven't loaned a book on Kindle before, but I'm sure I can figure it out.
I never knew you could loan kindle books. Cool!

Do you have a digital copy of the logs you could send me?

I question the value of the logs from birth for a 60+ year old airplane.

Yes, cool and valuable as a historical account.

No, not valuable in determining to buy a plane at this price point and mission.

Needs an experienced A&P to go thru and say its peachy in its current form.

regards,

Mike

regards,

Mike
To each their own - I personally wouldn't pay a mechanic to look at anything until I've first investigated things myself. There is plenty of value in seeing the logs and there is certainly a part of me interested in bringing such an airplane back to Nebraska.

I'm mostly interested in the last 15 or 20 years.

Last edited:
To each their own - I personally wouldn't pay a mechanic to look at anything until I've first investigated things myself. There is plenty of value in seeing the logs and there is certainly a part of me interested in bringing such an airplane back to Nebraska.

The old logs may very well have the only record of compliance of the very old ADs.

Dan isn't far away from some very good mechanics likely known to POA members. I would think the once over from a good mechanic would be far more valuable than going over twenty year old maintenance records. But to each their own, as has been previously said.

Hmmm. Well, I've got one of my customers interested, if I can put together a business plan for him.

Ryan

What would be the 2 most important entries in those logs?

regards,

Mike

I haven't suggested otherwise. I've had a Tube and Fabric A&P going over it each year since I bought it, and the logs reflect that.

Dan, I may have missed it earlier: where is your airplane now?

I really want a low and slow tail dragger but don't have the time to put enough hours on it per year. Anyone intrested in a partnership? I would want to keep it at either my strip in Dushore, pa or at Grim's Airpark in Hamburg,Pa. I have hangers at both:)

I really want a low and slow tail dragger but don't have the time to put enough hours on it per year. Anyone intrested in a partnership? I would want to keep it at either my strip in Dushore, pa or at Grim's Airpark in Hamburg,Pa. I have hangers at both:)
I'll go in with you - but only on the condition we hangar it at LZU or WDR.

Last edited:
Send me the aircraft particulars, equipment and I'll be happy to run a AD list.

there is a pretty serious resent AD for the wings

These to start
2000-25-02R1, 52-28-01, 49-15-01, 49-11-02, 48-13-07, 48-04-02, 47-30-05, 47-30-01, 47-20-02, 47-20-01.

This is a 65-LA, not an 11AC (which is the designation for post-war Aeronca Chiefs). This airplane is a Pre-War -- different wing, engine, spars, gear, etc.

Those you list don't apply to the 65-LA.

Last edited:
This is a 65-LA, not an 11AC (which is the designation for post-war Aeronca Chiefs). This airplane is a Pre-War -- different wing, engine, spars, gear, etc.

Those you list don't apply to the 65-LA.
Knowing the make and model is important :)

then the list drops to one AD 47-30-08.

SWEET !

Point being that 1947 log book would be where you'd most likely fine the compliance.

Hate to drag up an old topic, but does anyone know if this plane sold?

It's only a phone call away.

I sent an email, did I miss a phone number somewhere? I didn't see it. As much as I'd like to have a Stinson 10A, realistically, to do what I want with it, I'm better off waiting a few years, so now I'm exploring other smaller tailwheel aircraft that don't break the budget.

I sent an email, did I miss a phone number somewhere? I didn't see it. As much as I'd like to have a Stinson 10A, realistically, to do what I want with it, I'm better off waiting a few years, so now I'm exploring other smaller tailwheel aircraft that don't break the budget.

Sorry. I didn't read the ad. Was an ASSumption on my part. :redface:

Has anyone heard from Dan lately? I haven't seen a post from him in over a month.

Back