1940 Aeronca Chief

dmccormack

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dan Mc
A job change, possible relocation, and other commitments force me to sell my 1940 Aeronca Chief.

I have all logbooks since it rolled off the factory floor in january, 1940. The airplane was rebuilt in 1979 and covered in Stitts PolyFiber. It still has the original Lycoming Serial Number engine, and pre-war instruments. There is no starter or electric. It has a 12 g fuel tank, Maule TW, and Goodyear brakes.

My A&P did a complete engine dis-assembly, inspection, and replacement of all engine gaskets in September 2011. We installed a new LP Aero custom windscreen, new Aero Trainer tires, and refinished the interior and cowling.

Sale price includes two place battery-powered intercom, Garmin GPS 496 (with XM antenna), SPOT, and tie downs, etc.

The airplane has ~300 SMOH, burns 3.8 GPH (100LL/Ethanol-Free MOGAS mix), 85 MPH cruise at 2500 RPM.

$10,000. You fly it home or I can. I can provide Tailwheel training.

Pictures here: http://flightmusings.blogspot.com/

Flying doesn't get much more inexpensive. A very good deal. And I hear it slips real good too.

Last edited:
Wow. I love Chiefs. Wish I had the cash right now. It would be a very easy decision if I did.

Ryan

Ack! Dan you have to relocate again? Whats it been 2 years. Sigh good luck with the sale. I remember with fondness your posts when you first picked her up.

Hmm..Tempting. I suppose a guy could probably add a transponder and a battery to power it.

Could do tailwheel training in it and just completely skip the hull coverage. Cheap enough.

Hmm..Tempting. I suppose a guy could probably add a transponder and a battery to power it.

Could do tailwheel training in it and just completely skip the hull coverage. Cheap enough.

I've got a transponder you can have if you buy it. It worked when it came off my plane.

Dang. Temptation. I've always liked Aeroncas...

Even 85HP up here probably couldn't haul my butt skyward with an instructor on board, though. Except in winter. ;)

I'll just click "Like" and move on... got stuff to do to and in the 182...

Sure will make someone a nice low and slow fun airplane, though.

Please, please, please let there be deals like this when I get back to the States!

Good luck with your sale. Wish I was in a position to buy right now.

Damn. Sorry to hear about that Dan. Happens to many of us though.

Nice little TW plane.

Fly out of KCEK. ;)

I wish I could spare the money and get a couple guys together to buy it. There's a '47 in my EAA chapter, fully restored, 95% of the work done by the owner. SWEET. Not sure how it would do with my fat butt if I added my wife, though. What's the useful load, with full fuel?

Mentioned it to my wife last night, her response, "No way are you getting a plane" :-(

Fly out of KCEK. ;)

Lnk is about a three minute drive from my house, CEK takes a half hour or more. I also prefer flying out of an airport that has a tower and radar :)

Ack! Dan you have to relocate again? Whats it been 2 years. Sigh good luck with the sale. I remember with fondness your posts when you first picked her up.

Last march I took a position in Exton, PA so we could move back to Lancaster County.

Promises and reality were diverging at warp speed, so I decided to go back to DoD work. I couldn't be happier -- great firm, great people, meaningful mission, products that actually help the warfighter -- and I know what I'm doing, after 31 years in and around defense.

That said, the relocation is pending, but not critical. I'm doing the 1:15 drive each way daily and that's fine.

But if we did move closer the Chief would be a liability, with BWI/PHL Bravo and DC nonsense. So I'll sell it, let someone else enjoy, and eventually get --or even build -- a more mission-appropriate bird.

I wish I could spare the money and get a couple guys together to buy it. There's a '47 in my EAA chapter, fully restored, 95% of the work done by the owner. SWEET. Not sure how it would do with my fat butt if I added my wife, though. What's the useful load, with full fuel?

"Published" or "Actual?"

;)

On a good grass runway, what's typical distance to clear the phone wires?

Man, tempting...

Grrr, I'd love to take this bird back "home" but we aren't ready for airplane #2

Given the fact that we're moving as well and still trying to sell the Aztec (not to mention buy a house in our new location), it's not something that I'm in a position to do much besides be tempted over.

I'm tempted as well. What affect would keeping it tied down outside versus having a hangar have on a fabric airplane like this?

I'm tempted as well. What affect would keeping it tied down outside versus having a hangar have on a fabric airplane like this?
Either it will disintegrate in about two hours (if you believe some people on the internet), or it will be just fine - like it probably was for the first 20 - 40 years before someone sprung for a hangar...

Either it will disintegrate in about two hours (if you believe some people on the internet), or it will be just fine - like it probably was for the first 20 - 40 years before someone sprung for a hangar...

This.

The fabric isn't the issue with a tie down -- it's possible corrosion and vermin in the nether regions.

Do you have a digital copy of the logs you could send me?

Mentioned it to my wife last night, her response, "No way are you getting a plane" :-(

But she let you get a motorcycle?:dunno: Look she may nay she will get ticked off but that will only last for a few weeks. Just think of how much better of a father and husband you will be as flying that Chief will make you a happy and more giving person :)

Why would you have to ask?

:D

Why would you have to ask?:rolleyes:

But she let you get a motorcycle?:dunno: Look she may nay she will get ticked off but that will only last for a few weeks. Just think of how much better of a father and husband you will be as flying that Chief will make you a happy and more giving person :)
I'm reading "Flying Carpet: The Soul of an Airplane" by Greg Brown. Seriously made me wish I had made the plunge into flying/buying a plane when my sons were young.

There's your mistake right there. It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. :rofl: You could send her over to chat with my wife, she's insisting that I buy a Bonanza..

Back