Safety pilot needed - NorthEast Ohio

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
Need to be building simulated instrument time in my 182. Thus, would need the safetyilot to have PPL and high performance endorsement. I am in the greater Akron area, BJJ, but could pick somebody up nearby.

Send a PM if you want to go fly!

Safety pilots don't need HP endorsements unless they are pilot in command (or you have some other requirement such as an odd insurance clause).

If the safety pilot doesn't have the HP endorsement would they be able to log PIC? Usually one of the bennies of being a safety pilot is ... that.

A safety pilot can't log PIC unless he is PIC.
A PIC requires the HP endorsement.

Many people will act as safety pilot without much bennies other than maybe a free coke at the end of the flight or maybe the hooded pilot will act as safety pilot for him someday.

Delete - my mistake.

Last edited:
Guys, no need to argue the legality of needing HP endorsement. Even if the FAA doesn't require it, I do.

if your looking at (iv) there is a little more to that part.

(iv) When the pilot performs the duties of pilot in command while under the supervision of a qualified pilot in command provided—
(A) The pilot performing the duties of pilot in command holds a commercial or airline transport pilot certificate and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft being flown, if a class rating is appropriate;
(The pilot performing the duties of pilot in command is undergoing an approved pilot in command training program that includes ground and flight training on the following areas of operation—
( 1 ) Preflight preparation;
( 2 ) Preflight procedures;
( 3 ) Takeoff and departure;
( 4 ) In-flight maneuvers;
( 5 ) Instrument procedures;
( 6 ) Landings and approaches to landings;
( 7 ) Normal and abnormal procedures;
( 8 ) Emergency procedures; and
( 9 ) Postflight procedures;
(C) The supervising pilot in command holds—
( 1 ) A commercial pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate, and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category, class, and type of aircraft being flown, if a class or type rating is required; or
( 2 ) An airline transport pilot certificate and aircraft rating that is appropriate to the category, class, and type of aircraft being flown, if a class or type rating is required; and
(D) The supervising pilot in command logs the pilot in command training in the pilot's logbook, certifies the pilot in command training in the pilot's logbook and attests to that certification with his or her signature, and flight instructor certificate number.
(2) If rated to act as pilot in command of the aircraft, an airline transport pilot may log all flight time while acting as pilot in command of an operation requiring an airline transport pilot certificate.
(3) A certificated flight instructor may log pilot in command flight time for all flight time while serving as the authorized instructor in an operation if the instructor is rated to act as pilot in command of that aircraft.
(4) A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when the student pilot—
(i) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft or is performing the duties of pilot of command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight crewmember;
(ii) Has a solo flight endorsement as required under §61.87 of this part; and
(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating.

Guys, no need to argue the legality of needing HP endorsement. Even if the FAA doesn't require it, I do.

Good call

Last edited:
Incorrect.
No, quite correct. Read again what he said, he was not talking about logging PIC in general but about the special case of a safety pilot.

61.51 -

(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time. (1) A sport, recreational, private, commercial, or airline transport pilot may log pilot in command flight time for flights-

(i) When the pilot is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated, or has sport pilot privileges for that category and class of aircraft, if the aircraft class rating is appropriate;

(ii) When the pilot is the sole occupant in the aircraft;

(iii) When the pilot, except for a holder of a sport or recreational pilot certificate, acts as pilot in command of an aircraft for which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted; or

(iv) When the pilot performs the duties of pilot in command while under the supervision of a qualified pilot in command provided—
Clause (iii) is the one that applies to a safety pilot, since safety pilot is a required crewmember under the rules of the flight. The only way the safety pilot can log PIC is to act as PIC, and in order to be qualified to act as PIC, would need the HP endorsement if the airplane is HP.

That was all you had to say. The FAA does NOT require it. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Yeah, i cut it off...didn't want to take up the whole page. All i was saying really was that you can log pic as long as your are appropriately rated...not endorsed....getting into the whole Logging PIC vs Acting PIC discussion.

You're wrong though. Thank you for contributing nothing to the thread.

You're wrong though. Thank you for contributing nothing to the thread.

That was only wrong when talking about a safety pilot, which I admit now after some review. Otherwise you can log pic without endorsements while not "acting" as pic....granted that is not what we were talking about.

Log SIC in airplane you are not endorsed in as safety pilot.
Log PIC in airplane you are endorsed in as safety pilot.
Log PIC in airplane you are not endorsed in when not safety pilot / req crew.

Don't get your panties in a wad, its just the internet.

Hi there, I went ahead and sent you a PM. I'm over in Wooster, and would love to meet a local pilot even if we can't do the safety pilot thing. Thanks!

Back