Air marshals cleared in shooting

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
As I remember, some of us were in quite the heated discussion when this happened. Those that have all the facts made their decision the other day:

Federal Air Marshals "demonstrated remarkable restraint in dealing with" an unarmed man whom they fired upon nine times and killed with at least four bullets outside a parked airliner at Miami International Airport. The Miami-Dade State Attorney's office has determined the unidentified marshals were "legally justified" in killing Rigoberto Alpizar when he bolted from the aircraft after the Air Marshals say he told other passengers that he was carrying a bomb and would detonate it. The names of the Air Marshals were not released and they will be flying again, "shortly," according to a TSA spokesman quoted by the Miami Herald.

The marshals fired nine times after Alpizar reached into a backpack that he was wearing on his chest and, according to one of the marshals, said, "I'm going to blow up this bomb." There was a bottle of water in the backpack.

Frank Browne said:
Yes. Sounds like maybe it was a case of suicide by air marshal. They were justified, in light of that guys actions.

He was bonkers. I don't know if he intended to commit suicide or not. It would have been nice if they could have found a way to avoid shooting him, but they couldn't. In the same situation, I would have popped him, too, and slept soundly that night.

Absolutely. Guy says he has a bomb and he's in a crowded area like an airport, you take him seriously and protect as many people as you can and if that means taking out the bomber you do so.

If you find out later he was nuts, too bad for him.

The people who critique the marshals for shooting him would likely have screamed bloody murder if he HAD had a bomb, the marshals DIDN'T shoot him when he bolted, and 20 people died in the blast. Some people just want any excuse to criticise law enforcement.

alaskaflyer said:
As I remember, some of us were in quite the heated discussion when this happened. Those that have all the facts made their decision the other day:

Federal Air Marshals "demonstrated remarkable restraint in dealing with" an unarmed man whom they fired upon nine times and killed with at least four bullets outside a parked airliner at Miami International Airport. The Miami-Dade State Attorney's office has determined the unidentified marshals were "legally justified" in killing Rigoberto Alpizar when he bolted from the aircraft after the Air Marshals say he told other passengers that he was carrying a bomb and would detonate it. The names of the Air Marshals were not released and they will be flying again, "shortly," according to a TSA spokesman quoted by the Miami Herald.

The marshals fired nine times after Alpizar reached into a backpack that he was wearing on his chest and, according to one of the marshals, said, "I'm going to blow up this bomb." There was a bottle of water in the backpack.

NONE of you are going to like me, or what I have to say, but..

Air Marshals say Alpizar told other passengers that he was carrying a bomb.. and he would detonate it.

"AlaskaFlyer"..

Explain to me why/how the Air Marshals were the ONLY ONES who heard Alpizar say anything about a bomb. The newspaper reported that NOT ONE of the other passengers ever heard Alpizar mention a bomb.. or blowing up the plane! Why is it then two Air Marshals hearing is better than all the other passengers hearing put together? Makes one wonder.. doesn't it?

According to one Air Marshal, Alpizar reached into a backpack and said I'm going to blow up this bomb.

As it was reported.. Alpizar and the Air Marshals were OUTSIDE a PARKED airliner when Alpizar supposedly did/said what the one Air Marshal said he did. Other than the two Air Marshals, why weren't there any witnesses who saw Alpizar reach into the backpack.. or hear him say "I'm going to blow up this bomb"?

I just find it funny that the two Air Marshals are the ONLEY ONES who heard and saw what happened.. yet with HUNDREDS of witnesses in the plane, on the tarmack and in the terminal, NOT ONE witness has come foward to back the Air Marshals story as to what Alpizar supposedly did or said! Now don't you find that a little bit strange?

Don't you think if that was the case we would have seen on T.V. news or read in the newspaper.. "Witnesses heard Alpizar screaming, as he ran up and down the isle, that he had a bomb and was going to blow up the plane." Don't forget. It was reported that Alpizar had ran up and down the isle a few times.. and passenger said he did NOT mention anything about a bomb!

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

Last edited:
The very idea that 2 Federal Air Marshals worked together for the single purpose to kill a crazy dude smacks of conspiracy theory pretty badly, Dakota. Do you also believe that the government has visited with alien spacecraft and learned wonderful self defense tactics that would melt the common man's mind, so much that the government HAS to keep it secret lest the United States be demolished by our new found technology?

Why should FAMs have to provide proof of something that was never officially contested? When was the last time that the media actually got facts right in any situation? Why would you put stock into media reports on this when they can't even figure out that the Cessna Cherokee's engine did not stall and explode in the air before coughing and spiraling to earth?

Finally, of course they took him off the plane before everything went down. Last time I was in a skyway between the gate and the airplane, there weren't a lot of people standing around. Also - I'd bet the FAMs made those that were around leave so that they were not in danger. Its not that far fetched to imagine that there were no witnesses of the final moment.

I think it takes a pretty sick person to go into law enforcement to be able to kill a person, and I think its pretty rare. The idea that there were 2 of these sickos on one fight, randomly assigned, is preposterous.

Conspiracy.

Last edited:
Dakota Duce said:
snipDon't you think if that was the case we would have seen on T.V. news or read in the newspaper.. "Witnesses heard Alpizar screaming, as he ran up and down the isle, that he had a bomb and was going to blow up the plane." Don't forget. It was reported that Alpizar had ran up and down the isle a few times.. and passenger said he did NOT mention anything about a bomb!
snip

Fortunately, those charged with discovering the truth and deciding whether or not the Air Marshals acted correctly in protecting the passengers did not rely on TV news or newspapers to reach their decision. They relied on the facts they had in hand.

Dear Prospective Idiot...

Let's make it real simple.

If you act in a stupid, or crazy manner in an airport or other crowded public area, you run the risk of getting shot.

If you get shot, it is no fault but your own.

Do not blame the policeman, or marshal for not working out that you were 'just messing around'.
Do not blame society for not training the police to shout their warning in 16 languages in case you don't speak ours. Learn one english word - 'STOP'.
Do not blame the authorities for not being able to take the chance that you might not be a lunatic with a real bomb.
Do not blame the marshals because you were incapable of taking your medication.

As much as I hate guns in general, I'd rather they shot you...than take the chance with MY safety.

Thanks

Concerned - Michigan

p.s. I wish I knew who the marshals were so I could send them a beer on me.

Dakota Duce said:
I just find it funny that the two Air Marshals are the ONLEY ONES who heard and saw what happened.. yet with HUNDREDS of witnesses in the plane, on the tarmack and in the terminal, NOT ONE witness has come foward to back the Air Marshals story as to what Alpizar supposedly did or said! Now don't you find that a little bit strange?

Don't you think if that was the case we would have seen on T.V. news or read in the newspaper.. "Witnesses heard Alpizar screaming, as he ran up and down the isle, that he had a bomb and was going to blow up the plane." Don't forget. It was reported that Alpizar had ran up and down the isle a few times.. and passenger said he did NOT mention anything about a bomb!
Wiki said:
The pilot (age 49) of the plane stood directly behind the air marshals, and said that English was spoken. The pilot said that Alpizar indicated he had a bomb, and continued advancing despite a warning that "If you don't take your hands out of the bag, we're going to have to shoot you." The pilot said Alpizar responded with, "Shoot me! Shoot me!" while repeating several times that he had a bomb, despite a further warning of "We're going to have to shoot you if you don't stop."
Please do your research more completely next time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Air_Marshal_Service

Ditto - and further, ask the state DA's office about it, since they seem to believe the marshals, even though they are completely disconnected from the Federal agency overseeing the Air Marshals, and could have probably scored some political points by hanging the two gentlemen out to dry.

Back